Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 12:25 It is currently 28 May 2024, 12:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44 (Online)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4129 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Scored 720, should I retake? All mocks are +750 [#permalink]
sebgutur22 wrote:
Hi all,

(reposting in this forum thanks to AndrewN advice)
I just got out of my gmat and got a disappointing 720 (Q48, V41).

I know its a decent score but in my 4 mocks I got 750(q50 v41), 750(q50 v 42), 760 (q51, v42) and 760(q49, v45).

I expected at least a Q50 so was rather disappointed with that.

Also, I am planning in applying to Top 5 programs. A little about me:
- Latin american born and raised
- Work for mbb consulting (started in latam, got transferred to the US)
- have a pretty **** gpa from top university in my country
- I recently moved to the states, transferred by company
- I have 3 yoe
- Have 1 year of military service

Should I retake given I can probably improve the score or not worth it? What do the experts think?

Appreciate the help!!

Hello sebgutur22 hope you are well

With your prior experience in mbb, top grades, pedigree, and an underrepresented nationality I do not think you are at a disadvantage in applying with your current score. However, no expert here can guarantee you success, and therefore in order to put forth your "A" game, you could consider retaking the exam if you feel confident about doing better. At the same time, I cannot emphasize more the fact that a 750+ score alone would not get you into the school of your dreams, therefore, work on presenting a stellar narrative intertwining your personal stories and professional achievements and motivations to come across as a highly differentiated and deserving candidate.

Best wishes

Originally posted by MBAGuide on 30 Apr 2022, 22:05.
Last edited by MBAGuide on 10 May 2022, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Scored 720, should I retake? All mocks are +750 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sebgutur22 wrote:
Hi all,

I know its a decent score but in my 4 mocks I got 750(q50 v41), 750(q50 v 42), 760 (q51, v42) and 760(q49, v45).

- I have 3 yoe

Should I retake given I can probably improve the score or not worth it? What do the experts think?

Appreciate the help!!

Hi sebgutur22,

Considering you have the capability to improve your score as well as the time at hand, we would suggest that you give the GMAT another shot. Needless to say, you have a fine overall profile and the MBB experience will definitely be a value add. However, since you are looking at top-notch programs, the spike in GMAT score will help a lot.

Good luck!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, sebgutur22,

Thank you for your post!

First, I would like to say you have a very interesting profile in terms of relevant work experience and did a great job backing a score of 720 on your GMAT; Moreover, it seems you are confident about your overall GPA; hence I would say you are good on the academic front. Coming to your question, first, I would like you to analyze what went wrong and how you slipped 30-40 points on your GMAT. Furthermore, since you are targeting the top five B-schools, it’s essential that you score around 735+ in your GMAT to increase your chances.

About your work experience, I see a lot of potential in them; all you need to do is elaborate more about your responsibilities, crucial projects assigned, examples of leadership, skill-set developed, all about promotions & professional accolades, and the impact generated during your three-year tenure. Moreover, it would also allow you to quote relevant international experiences as they are greatly valued at this stage. Furthermore, I would say add some ECAs to your profile, preferably your military experience or any volunteering experience/community work, and elaborate on your contribution, new challenges faced, leadership roles played, and the impact generated to bank upon them in your B-school essays.

Overall you have a decent profile and rightly stand a chance at the top five b-schools. However, a lot will depend on your retake; give your best shot, and don’t let the opportunity slip out. Finally, I would say your profile is still brief at some points, and I would like to know more about your post-MBA goals and ECAs in detail in order to assist you better. Hence, If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further help you with your profile building strategy, feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

sebgutur22 wrote:
Hi all,

- I have 3 yoe

Appreciate the help!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44 (Online)
Send PM
Hey all,

Thank you again for your responses.

I wanted to update in case somebody stumbles upon this post.

I retook the gmat through the online version today (a week after my 720) and scored a 740 (Q48, V44). I was still disappointed with the quant score but I feel much better about the 740 than I did with the 720. I will actually retake again as before I figured out I could do the only gmat straight away I actually booked a test center gmat for 2 weeks from now and I guess might as well do it if the money is already spent.

I basically did zero studying this week, worked 90 hours during the week, including 15h yesterday (yeah on saturday, awesome job), slept <5hours, played golf and took the test at 7pm and did better. I think this just shows that despite all the advice you get about gmat day routines sometimes the best thing that you can do is just not think about it.

Thank you again for everyone who commented and hope this eases people who got a score below what they expected, sometimes it just happens and its ok to take it again.

Best,

Seb
GMAT Club Bot