Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 23:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

17% (01:37) correct 83% (01:34) wrong based on 179 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 01:09
Each pair forms up only one possible diameter when points are located at strictly opposite sides.
If we are considering "at most" extreme case then all ponts should be evenly distributed on the circumference of the circle, and since we have 17 points, only 16 out of 17 can be placed opposite each other and 17th one would not have a pair.
So there should be 8 possible diameteres at most however if we assume that there could be an overlap, then 17th point can overlap to any other and form up another 9th diameter.
OR maybe some more tricker logic lies behind the correct reasoning of subject problem :)
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 09:18
Bunuel wrote:
Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a circle and each point is to be connected to all other points by line segments. At most, how many of the segments thus formed can be diameters of a circle?

(A) 8
(B) 9
(C) 16
(D) 17
(E) 34

imo A - 8
only if two points are exactly opposite to each other,the line joining them would be diameter. 17 points have such 16 points and hence 8 pairs. One point has no point to be connected to as diameter.
Director
Director
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 13:28
Bunuel wrote:
Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a circle and each point is to be connected to all other points by line segments. At most, how many of the segments thus formed can be diameters of a circle?

(A) 8
(B) 9
(C) 16
(D) 17
(E) 34

Dear Moderator,

Kindly provide the Official explanation for this one, seems as though the Answer should be A.

Here is a similar sum , using the same logic , accordingly the answer here should be A IMO.

Please kindly explain how the answer is C. Thank you.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/each-of-the- ... 02190.html
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 20:33
Hey Bunuel please provide an explanation for this. I think the answer should be A
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 07:03
Hi ! Can you please explain the OA ? GMATinsight
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!
CEO
CEO
D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Nov 2018, 22:55
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi ! Can you please explain the OA ? GMATinsight

Quote:

(A) 8
(B) 9
(C) 16
(D) 17
(E) 34

ShankSouljaBoi

CONCEPT: A diameter is a line joining two diametrically opposite points on the circumference. i.e. a Diameter requires joining two points

Since we have 17 points so we need to see how many pairs of points can we make

Total pairs of two points = Greatest integer of (17/2) = [17/2] = 8

i.e. There will be 8 distinct diagonals

But since every point is being joined with every other point here therefore total such lines will be 16 as every diagonal will be drawn two
e.g. We will draw a line originating from point 1 to point 9 and then next attempt will be to draw line originating from point 9 and connecting point 1
i.e. Same diameter drawn twice

Hence, total Such lines which become diameter = 8*2 = 16

Answer: Option C
Attachments

Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 11.07.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 11.07.57 AM.png [ 308.58 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]

e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 03 Nov 2018, 22:50.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 03 Nov 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 22:54
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 8
(B) 9
(C) 16
(D) 17
(E) 34

Dear Moderator,

Kindly provide the Official explanation for this one, seems as though the Answer should be A.

Here is a similar sum , using the same logic , accordingly the answer here should be A IMO.

Please kindly explain how the answer is C. Thank you.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/each-of-the- ... 02190.html

stne and Shbm

Please pay attention to the language of question and then see the explanation here.

The question says, each point is to be connected to all other points by line segments and then At most, how many of the segments thus formed can be diameters of a circle

Check the highlighted, Bold and Italic part which states how many such segments will be diameter that is each segment is to be counted separately irrespective of duplication of the same line therefore,
e.g. We will draw a line originating from point 1 to point 9 and then next attempt will be to draw line originating from point 9 and connecting point 1
i.e. Same diameter drawn twice hence 8 diameters will be counted 16 times

CONCEPT: A diameter is a line joining two diametrically opposite points on the circumference. i.e. a Diameter requires joining two points

Since we have 17 points so we need to see how many pairs of points can we make

Total pairs of two points = Greatest integer of (17/2) = [17/2] = 8

i.e. There will be 8 distinct diagonals

But since every point is being joined with every other point here therefore total such lines will be 16 as every diagonal will be drawn two
i.e. Same diameter drawn twice

Hence, total Such lines which become diameter = 8*2 = 16

Answer: Option C

I hope this helps!!!
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
D
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 06:33
GMATinsight: sir, quoting your line below:

concept: "A diameter is a line joining two diametrically opposite points on the circumference. i.e. a Diameter requires joining two points"

For a diameter to be valid on a circle it has to pass through the center as well as 'd=r*2', by your above statement it seems to give definition of a chord of circle... the word 'center' is missing from your statement.

For the question we can also solve it as below:
First drawing a circle and marking 17 points on opposite sides of the circle circumference, we would be left with only 1 point which won't be having any pair, total set of pairs would be 8 or say 16 segments ' diameter' thus be formed on the circle which are all passing through center of the circle,
Had the question not specified the word " diameter ' "how many of the segments thus formed on the circle using 17 points" in that case answer would have been undefined as the position of 17 points wouldn't have be sure.....
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 07:36
Archit3110 wrote:
GMATinsight: sir, quoting your line below:

concept: "A diameter is a line joining two diametrically opposite points on the circumference. i.e. a Diameter requires joining two points"

For a diameter to be valid on a circle it has to pass through the center as well as 'd=r*2', by your above statement it seems to give definition of a chord of circle... the word 'center' is missing from your statement.

For the question we can also solve it as below:
First drawing a circle and marking 17 points on opposite sides of the circle circumference, we would be left with only 1 point which won't be having any pair, total set of pairs would be 8 or say 16 segments ' diameter' thus be formed on the circle which are all passing through center of the circle,
Had the question not specified the word " diameter ' "how many of the segments thus formed on the circle using 17 points" in that case answer would have been undefined as the position of 17 points wouldn't have be sure.....

Archit3110

The highlighted part "Diametrically opposite points", by definition, ensures that the line passes through the centre.

Refer: http://www.mathwords.com/d/diametrically_opposed.htm

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
D
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 11:38
GMATinsight: Okay got it sir.. thanks.
G
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 04:08
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 8
(B) 9
(C) 16
(D) 17
(E) 34

I personally think the answer to the question is ambiguous. It can be 8 or 16 depending on how you count line segment. I do not see official GMAT asking a question with ambiguous answers.
Re: Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 04:08

Seventeen different points are to be located on the circumference of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics