It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 323

Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 20:50
Hi,

My application deadlines are closing in and may be I am too late to be thinking about this now.

My overall GPA is decent (8.9/10), but my grades in the first two semesters were relatively poor, especially in maths. Though my grades improved significantly 3rd sem on wards.
Further, i received a decent GMAT score of 720, but again my quant (47, 63%) and verbal (42, 96%) scores are unbalanced. Should I be concerned about this and may be try to explain this in my essays? Or an upward trend of grades and an overall good GMAT score is safe and I shouldn't worry too much?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 323

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 974 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 21:00
Hi leia23 ,

First of all, 720 is a great score. Congratulations :)

I believe you should worry more on writing the best quality of applications and mention the low score/mathematics reasons in optional essay. You can mention them that you are planning to take some online course to strengthen your skills before you will join them.

All matters right now is the quality of essays.

All the best :)

P.S. : I have moved your post to the right forum.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 974 [0], given: 71

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 13:46
I think you are fine here, if you had consistently low performance in your quant classes AND in the GMAT it may make sense for you to mention your plan in your optional essays. This is not a must, but if you are generally planning on taking MBA Math or additional coursework at places like the UC Berkeley extension then it's worth mentioning

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 01:25
leia23 wrote:
Hi,

My application deadlines are closing in and may be I am too late to be thinking about this now.

My overall GPA is decent (8.9/10), but my grades in the first two semesters were relatively poor, especially in maths. Though my grades improved significantly 3rd sem on wards.
Further, i received a decent GMAT score of 720, but again my quant (47, 63%) and verbal (42, 96%) scores are unbalanced. Should I be concerned about this and may be try to explain this in my essays? Or an upward trend of grades and an overall good GMAT score is safe and I shouldn't worry too much?

The main score is far more significant than the breakdown. So no need to retake based on that alone. And certainly no need to write an essay about it.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations:

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 19:36
I don't htink that's such a unbalance in gmat. it's not even possible to get a 96% on quant so the curves are so different

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 19:36

Should I be worried about unbalanced GMAT score & low grades in 1st yr

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap