GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I bother sending in applications?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Should I bother sending in applications?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 00:50
So I haven't yet decided if I'm going to push through applying for MBAs (still trying to figure out if all the expenses are worth it). In any case, I'd like to get an honest opinion on which schools I should be targetting if I do push through (and which schools I shouldn't bother looking at).

I'm from South East Asia (think Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines) and graduated with a management/business degree from one of the top universities in my country. The goal after the MBA is to get into either a Hedge Fund or an Asset Management fund either in the US or back in Asia.

GPA: 3.1 (on the low end, and I don't have a legitimate reason for it aside from slacking off - will have to figure how to spin this though)
GMAT: 750
Work Experience: 4 years in Equity Research at a Bulge Bracket (think Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, UBS...). Started as an associate and got promoted to a writing analyst after 2 years.
Other qualifications: CFA Charterholder

Main question really is whether or not I even have a chance at the M7. If not, then what schools are likely going to accept such a profile?
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Should I bother sending in applications?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 07:43
Hi charliethebanana,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. One important component to bear in mind about the MBA application process is that AdCom's review your profile wholistically, which means your metrics are one component of their decision process (other components are EQ and objective). What's working in your favor is your GMAT, CFA and work experience. What will be a tougher sell is the GPA for the M7s at top-tier programs. While you might not have a "reason" for the low GPA, you can work on improving the academics between now and when you apply (if you choose to). Another component of the admission process is your engagement with your community, which I do not see in your brief description. AdCom's, especially top tier, look for engaged citizens (and engagement can be defined in various ways). In addition, you must demonstrate a need for the MBA - why do you need an MBA from these institutions. You require a clear idea of your purpose and how will you manage to get from point A to point B. Seats for HF and/or Asset Management at top MBA programs are small, so, if you choose to work on your profile and apply, I recommend you do so for R1 of the application season.

To answer your question, you will need to work on your profile a bit, but an MBA from a top institution is doable. Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click hereto coordinate a call.

Good luck!

charliethebanana wrote:
So I haven't yet decided if I'm going to push through applying for MBAs (still trying to figure out if all the expenses are worth it). In any case, I'd like to get an honest opinion on which schools I should be targetting if I do push through (and which schools I shouldn't bother looking at).

I'm from South East Asia (think Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines) and graduated with a management/business degree from one of the top universities in my country. The goal after the MBA is to get into either a Hedge Fund or an Asset Management fund either in the US or back in Asia.

GPA: 3.1 (on the low end, and I don't have a legitimate reason for it aside from slacking off - will have to figure how to spin this though)
GMAT: 750
Work Experience: 4 years in Equity Research at a Bulge Bracket (think Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, UBS...). Started as an associate and got promoted to a writing analyst after 2 years.
Other qualifications: CFA Charterholder

Main question really is whether or not I even have a chance at the M7. If not, then what schools are likely going to accept such a profile?

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Should I bother sending in applications?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 11:15
Gg

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I bother sending in applications?   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2019, 11:15

Should I bother sending in applications?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SiaAdmissions

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap