GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Leave My Job?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Should I Leave My Job?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:27
Hi all,

I need some advice concerning timeline. I’m currently employed and getting my applications together. My earliest app is due in the beginning of October, and I’m planning on having them all submitted by then as well. I also happen to really want to quit my job.

So my question is, how bad will it look/will the schools even find out if I quit my job after I submit my apps? I’ve heard of people taking up to 6 months time off before beginning b-school, but this would be closer to 9. My plans are to travel for a little and hopefully get a 6-month internship before b-school begins. I already have 3 years experience under my belt without continuing my job, and I’m just wondering if quitting would affect my application status?

Please let me know any thoughts or past experience. Everything helps. Thank you!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I Leave My Job?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 06:12
I think it is all about how you frame it in the applications, if you can show you have an internship lined up that will actively add to your MBA experience then I think it should be fine. What you don't want it to seem like is that you are quitting your job because you hate it, and an MBA would just be something to do
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 07:50
BNabs88 wrote:
I think it is all about how you frame it in the applications, if you can show you have an internship lined up that will actively add to your MBA experience then I think it should be fine. What you don't want it to seem like is that you are quitting your job because you hate it, and an MBA would just be something to do

Thank you for the response! So would this be something that I would send an e-mail to admissions about as soon as I quit? Or, should I wait to hear about whether I'm granted an interview and/or admitted and bring it up then?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 12:37
Imagine - Everything is going fine, you are about to marry the girl, the dates have been decided, and suddenly you mention- HEY- I am thinking of quitting my job :) . Your future with the girl may not get impacted but you will definitely have everyone's attention for sometime.

Last year, one of my applicants quit his job in October( right after the Application submission). He did not even mention it to me till November. A week before his interview, he asked me - "Do I have to update my resume as my latest designation has TILL DATE on the resume?" . That was the time I panicked. Well ! Yes! We did change the date to - TILL October. Technically, he walked into three interviews without a JOB. Two of the interviewers were really chatty ( it was their job :) ) .

SIR- A Strong recommendation- DO NOT QUIT Your job! If you walk into an interview room with a PAST TENSE for the last designation, a lot of people tend to Fixate on your career switch. It is like- You are really handsome but have a Big MOLE on your face. People who are nice would ignore talking about it, but would keep thinking in their mind and make stories. People who are straightforward will get to the point and will ask - HEY! Why did you quit? What happened ?

Don't do this! Wait for your last interview to get over Buddy.

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 18:34
mywork2693 wrote:
Hi all,

I need some advice concerning timeline. I’m currently employed and getting my applications together. My earliest app is due in the beginning of October, and I’m planning on having them all submitted by then as well. I also happen to really want to quit my job.

So my question is, how bad will it look/will the schools even find out if I quit my job after I submit my apps? I’ve heard of people taking up to 6 months time off before beginning b-school, but this would be closer to 9. My plans are to travel for a little and hopefully get a 6-month internship before b-school begins. I already have 3 years experience under my belt without continuing my job, and I’m just wondering if quitting would affect my application status?

Please let me know any thoughts or past experience. Everything helps. Thank you!!

Posted from my mobile device
mywork2693 do not effing do that. That would be massively shooting yourself in the foot. The people you're talking about having taken 6 months off have an ACCEPTANCE LETTER IN HAND. I agree with my colleague stating that people will be quietly judging you for those and it's possible you will look like a risk. Loose cannon. If you have a nightmare boss or something get a counselor executive coach or life coach who can provide emotional support until you can resign.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I Leave My Job? &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 18:34

Should I Leave My Job?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap