Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 780 Q48 V50
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 780 Q48 V50
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
I interviewed in Madrid. I don't remember the number of slots. I know it is only one day, with at least two interviewers (I met a Portuguese girl with a different interviewer), if they do 5-6 per day that is 10-12. My best guess.

My interview was 35-40 minutes long. But it really didn't feel that long, as I said, it seemed relaxed.

hswk wrote:
Hi Lizanne,

In which city did you interview? Do you know the total number of slots in your hub city?

Can you also mention how long did your interview last?

Thanks

Lizanne wrote:
I just had my interview, I enjoyed it, it was very conversational and relaxed. There were no specific behavioral questions.
It was mostly about my background and what had led to the different choices in my career, my college degree, my job, an MBA, Sloan... what other schools had I applied to and what would I contribute to Sloan (basically the first essay).
Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Sustainability
How does MIT and MIT Sloan help prepare students to make an impact in the field of sustainability? The Sustainability Initiative at MIT Sloan provides many opportunities for the community to improve our lifestyles in new and innovative ways. Building E62, the center of our campus, was the school’s first LEED Gold certified structure, setting a precedent for the future of sustainable action at MIT Sloan.  In last week’s Sustainability Lunch Series, MIT Sloan professors Leigh Hafrey, Bill Aulet, and Jason Jay had a compelling open dialogue discussing the complicated balance of ethics, entrepreneurship, and sustainability when developing a new business. Be on the look out for more of these lunches taking place this winter.

Students participating in S-Lab have the opportunity to work directly with an organization and help tackle a real-world sustainability issue within a business. Additionally, the Sustainability Certificate at MIT Sloan allows students to focus on a deep understanding of issues concerning sustainability, and teaches them how to manage these challenges. Jeffrey Sun, MBA ’15, talks about why he chose MIT Sloan to pursue his interests in sustainability:

For another first-hand perspective, check out a great blog post from current MBA student Ethan McCall.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
100 in the waitlist per adcom. Quite high I would think so approx 200 over two rounds?? I hope the yield (people accepting offers is lower this year) :) ...Ie...I'm hoping many of those who applied to sloan also applied to stanford and harvard and get in....Haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
rsworase wrote:
100 in the waitlist per adcom. Quite high I would think so approx 200 over two rounds?? I hope the yield (people accepting offers is lower this year) :) ...Ie...I'm hoping many of those who applied to sloan also applied to stanford and harvard and get in....Haha

I'm wondering if that's why Sloan's decision date is over a week after HBS and Stanford despite having applications due a week before Stanford... they want to see who gets in to H or S and withdraws their application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
rsworase wrote:

100 already on the waitlist? Does this figure include those whom have interviewed and might potentially get waitlisted as well or just those that have been waitlisted without interview? Interesting. 100 is quite high for a class that is ~400 students. Good luck to everyone patiently waiting. Crossing my fingers for good news on Dec 20.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
aalba005 wrote:
rsworase wrote:

100 already on the waitlist? Does this figure include those whom have interviewed and might potentially get waitlisted as well or just those that have been waitlisted without interview? Interesting. 100 is quite high for a class that is ~400 students. Good luck to everyone patiently waiting. Crossing my fingers for good news on Dec 20.

I think they ALREADY have about 100 on the waitlist, not counting people who might be added later. Also, the adcom stressed again that they aim to admit half of the class in Round 1, even though Round 1 received fewer applications than previous years (due to earlier due date)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Figured I'd pop in here to address a few questions/concerns...

1) What's the deposit?
Last year it was $3,500 and you could get $1,500 or $2,000 back (I don't recall which) if you elected not to come after paying your deposit.

2) How important is oral English?
Classes are all taught in English and participation is part of our grades, so being able to communicate effectively in English is important. That said, many of my classmates learned (and are still learning) English as a second language, so I wouldn't be too worried about this. If you can get your point across clearly, you'll be fine.

3) Does staying late or coming early for lunch on the day of your interview have any impact on your odds of admission?
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not on the admissions committee, but I seriously doubt having lunch has any impact. To add a little bit more color to this, I was one of the first-year ambassadors at an interview lunch within the last two weeks and nobody in admissions asked me who attended or asked for feedback on any of the attendees.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just out of curiosity, for those who were invited to interview, did the number of views on your optional essay increase AFTER you finished your interview?

Because... my video had 10 extra views after my interview, from different locations... (my video was also unlisted, so only those with links would have access, and I didn't give anyone else the link)

Not trying to read too much into it... the worst thing that can happen is that they all view my video and laugh at me collectively.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CA
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
What was the yeild of MIT last year?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
Just finished interview and it was only 25min. Is it a bad sign anyway? The talk was not perfect but still smooth.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Same with me.....

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Can those of you who interviewed please give some examples of questions that were asked? Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lox wrote:
Can those of you who interviewed please give some examples of questions that were asked? Thanks in advance

If you go on ClearAdmit's website and look at the interview reports for MIT Sloan, these are the types of questions you'd be expected to get.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks very much CelerIP
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ankurb wrote:

Yield figures from various sources have MIT Sloan at around 70%. Yield has been trending higher y-o-y. For Sloan class of 2014 the class was 10% larger than anticipated and offered grants to those whom choose to defer to class of 2015.

Just for fun, the yield rankings estimated from application volume, acceptance rate and class size for class of 2015 are -
HBS ~90%
Stanford ~85%
Wharton ~70%
Sloan ~70%
Columbia ~70%
Booth ~68%
Kellogg ~65%
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for this. Can you provide the link please? I noted that on Businessweek website, MIT yield is stated at 68% for the class of 2014. However last year's yield was higher compare to prior years so MIT had to offer deferral to some candidates. So if the yield was only 70% then it was much much different from prior years or was it >75%?

aalba005 wrote:
ankurb wrote:

Yield figures from various sources have MIT Sloan at around 70%. Yield has been trending higher y-o-y. For Sloan class of 2014 the class was 10% larger than anticipated and offered grants to those whom choose to defer to class of 2015.

Just for fun, the yield rankings estimated from application volume, acceptance rate and class size for class of 2015 are -
HBS ~90%
Stanford ~85%
Wharton ~70%
Sloan ~70%
Columbia ~70%
Booth ~68%
Kellogg ~65%
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ankurb wrote:
Thanks for this. Can you provide the link please? I noted that on Businessweek website, MIT yield is stated at 68% for the class of 2014. However last year's yield was higher compare to prior years so MIT had to offer deferral to some candidates. So if the yield was only 70% then it was much much different from prior years or was it >75%?

aalba005 wrote:
ankurb wrote:

HBS ~90%
Stanford ~85%
Wharton ~70%
Sloan ~70%
Columbia ~70%
Booth ~68%
Kellogg ~65%

Yield for MIT was historically closer to 62-65%. It has gone up from 2014 class to ~70 and is close to ~70 for 2015 class.

My #'s are using school data directly.
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/about/facts-and-figures.php
Here you get # of apps
here you get class size
You can google acceptance rate to get consensus on acceptance rate from multiple sources make educated estimate.

Class Size = Yield
# of Accepted students = Acceptance rate * Total Apps

Yield Rate = yield / # of Accenture students

So for Sloan
total apps 4529
Class size 406
Acceptance rate ~13%

406/588 = 69% = ~70% yield plus or minus 2-3% due to requirement to estimate acceptance rate.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts