Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What should I do?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Sloan '22 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Duke '22 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Other)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Sloan vs. No School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You think you will still make 230K this year? I have friends out of work, furlough, and taking 20% pay cuts. I think the only people I know who are not are Google/Amazon which live in a bubble. Even vendors who work for Microsoft are all on unemployment or trying to get it.
If you feel you can maintain your income and your main reason to get an MBA is not to be "stuck" making $230K then perhaps it may not be worth the effort....
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
If I was making $200K-$230K then I would not even consider pursuing a graduate business degree unless I wanted to pivot into a different career path.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I hear the case for career progression, long-term value of the MBA in pharma / biotech space.

With the information provided, I would vote no school, but there are a few other questions that I think could move the needle here. As follow:

1) how important is the money to you? There's a 20-50% chance that this experience and credentialing of yourself will have net negative return. Not to a debilitating degree, but you might earn 10% less over your lifetime. Are you okay with that? Totally okay for the answer to be yes. What's 1mn when you have another 3 or 8mn in the bank? There's some intangible value to the experience and relationships you will build - value that as you will. An okay valuation is that it's worth all the money in the world.

2) what's the reputation of your healthcare consulting firm? If you could use a well branded MBA program / don't have an ivy league (or like) undergrad there's clear value in the various opps that will open to you. If you are already at MBB / LEK doing healthcare work, don't waste your time with the MBA.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Would this be a good opportunity to potentially talk to your boss or mentor at your current workplace? I can see taking out your boss for a lunch or a coffee over zoom :-) and Giving them an update on your application situation and talking about future. I don’t get many of these opportunities with my boss or with my employees. A talk like this is something your manager would likely find interesting and valuable and It would also elevate your maturity and performance in his/her view potentially.

I would give them an update about your admissions and thank them for the recommendations and help and state that it would not have been possible without their help along the way. Ask them about how they see the future of the company and what they would recommend for you as a logical step for your career. This gives them a chance to potentially keep you using a lucrative offer and keep you from leaving the company if they value you in which case you can make even more money and get slated for a promotion potentially much earlier than otherwise. It also allows them to get rid of you in a safe way. For example if they have reservations about your performance or how you fit with the rest of the team but they haven’t been able to express or communicate that very clearly, this is their chance to send you out to business school and get rid of you. It is a valuable message for you because It puts the cards on the table and you basically know that if that is the case, you would never be promoted and you would never get more than the minimum raise and it’s a dead-end job for you there.

Whether you choose to go to business school or not, I would take this opportunity to talk to your managers.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 440
Send PM
Have you considered options like 1 yr programs offered by Stanford MSx and Sloan Fellows where the drawback is in form of less flexibility to pivot careers but what I understand from your situation is that you want to pursue MBA mostly for career progression (move into C-suite) which can be facilitated by these programs as well.
If you're doing well in your current career and can stretch for a while to be eligible for these programs, work-experience wise, I would suggest to stay away from MBA given there's too much unpredictability in the air right now and even in the best case scenario, in terms of compensation, you'll return to where you left off.

Don't think too much about the network, leadership development kind of things. You can pursue them sideways using resources and platforms which cost a lot less.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I think you should think through your decision about MBA before you get into the program.
If you have a solid answer to why you want to do an MBA, you should go ahead with it.
If you don’t have an answer, you’re wasting time and $.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts