GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Dec 2018, 22:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (00:54) correct 43% (01:10) wrong based on 911 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

(A) and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless,

(B) and the gale-force wind gusts were relentless, so that

(C) its gusts of gale-force wind relentless, that

(D) the gale-force winds were gusting so relentlessly,

(E) so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that

Day 19 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 03 Oct 2014, 18:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Dec 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 07:06
Top Contributor
The idiomatic template is ---
So + adjective + verb x …. so + adjective (verb expressed or elided))Y, that
So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones …. so relentless(verb) its gusts of gale-force wind, that
Only E ahs this idiomatic structure

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 19:38
This time it was definitely not so Easy.. :(

Eeeks :? ...I may be wrong this time
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Dec 2018, 22:58
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mate, this question is testing idioms and parallelism. Be sure before you mark an answer..

Now that you have quoted me, let me tell you that my answers are hidden inside my remarks..you should have cross-checked the options 2.71 times atleast...sounds wierd? :?: ...think..think.. :lol:

Originally posted by itzmyzone911 on 03 Oct 2014, 22:04.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Dec 2018, 22:58, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 23:58
itzmyzone911 wrote:
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mate, this question is testing idioms and parallelism. Be sure before you mark an answer..

Now that you have quoted me, let me tell you that my answers are hidden inside my remarks..you should have cross-checked the options 2.71 times atleast...sounds wierd? :?: ...think..think.. :lol:

Yup got your hidden answer mate, but should not it be only so X that Y rather than so X,so Y that Z...the one enclosed within commas is modifying X....oops did I revealed the concealed ?....it's so covert that it's overt ;)
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Dec 2018, 22:59
PagalGuru wrote:
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Yup got your hidden answer mate, but should not it be only so X that Y rather than so X,so Y that Z...the one enclosed within commas is modifying X....oops did I revealed the concealed ?....it's so covert that it's overt ;) (..nice one mate :) )

REMEMBER: The correct answer MAY not be the best choice on earth, but will certainly be the best among the five choices given. So do away with the ‘shoulds’ and ‘coulds’ in your mind while judging the five contenders.
THUMB RULE: Ponder over the best choice among the five given, do not ponder over what COULD be the best answer.

Just to address your doubt specifically, note that a single outcome (indicator - 'that') is being described as a result of the intensity (indicator-'so') of two different entities (heavy rains and hailstones’ & ‘relentless gusts’). The author intends to do so by employing two different clauses in a single sentence as opposed to two different sentences altogether. The correct answer serves the purpose well without any idiomatic or grammatical mistake.

Originally posted by itzmyzone911 on 04 Oct 2014, 00:38.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Dec 2018, 22:59, edited 4 times in total.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 10:10
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

(A) and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless,.............misses that in so X that Y idiom

(B) and the gale-force wind gusts were relentless, so that...........so is redundant

(C) its gusts of gale-force wind relentless, that..............deviates the meaning from the intended one

(D) the gale-force winds were gusting so relentlessly,...........past continuous tense verb+ing becomes the spoilsport and intended meaning got deviated.

(E) so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that........correct choice
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 07:03
I think it is a variation of so -adj -that structure to make this sentence more appealing. For example,
He is so smart that people cannot beat him. We can restructure this:So smart is he that people cannot beat him.
Again, Her voice is so sweet and her expression is so articulate that the audience love to listen her. We can restructure it as: So sweet is her voice, so articulate her expression that the audience love to listen her.
Please add if any correction or modification of my opinion.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20, NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 21:21
I am unable to understand the correct idiom and why choice E is correct inspite of reading all previous explanations on this forum;

my questions: 'Its' is an possessive (singular) pronoun, so what is its referring to in answer choice E? storm's rains and hailstones but isn't this plural?

What is the correct idiom - so X, that Y? OR so X, so Y, that Z ----> (as in choice E)

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 20:03
Could someone explain what "its" is referring to here?
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 09:22
kchen1994 wrote:
Could someone explain what "its" is referring to here?

deddex and kchen1994: here the possessive pronoun "its" refers to storm's. Strom is singular. So this usage is okay. Now, had this been only "it" referring to storm's, the option would have been wrong.

daagh: Please let me know whether we need an "and" between two clauses starting with So - e.g. So xxxx , and so yyyyy , that ZZZZZ.

regards,
Arup
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 20:04
Top Contributor
Arup

CAn you pl. expand your template into a full sentence. Let's see what follows So?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20, NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2018, 23:24
daagh wrote:
Arup

CAn you pl. expand your template into a full sentence. Let's see what follows So?

could you please explain which idiom is preferred ?
Which is preferred here- so X, that Y? OR so X, so Y, that Z ----> (as in choice E)

also is the idiom So X, So Y, That Z always preferred >> over so X, that Y

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Originally posted by deddex on 07 Dec 2018, 22:38.
Last edited by deddex on 07 Dec 2018, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 23:02
daagh wrote:
Arup

daagh : Sir, my doubt is in the context of this sentence only :

So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

Do we need "and" (bold) here? and don't we need a verb to make this part a clause - so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, as we have "were" in the first clause?
Please provide your suggestions.

Regards,
Arup
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Dec 2018, 09:21
Top Contributor
Use of 'and' between the two 'SOs' would have been most ideal; Without 'and' it looked as though the author is turning more poetic these days. Whether poetic or not, the author's rhetoric seems to be: After all the first part is a declarative clause but I want to intensify its effect by adding more info in the form of a modifier. So, I am using a modifier, and when I use a modifier you see there is no need to use either a conjunction or a verb. Therefore, what is the point?

One can give a benefit of the doubt for the deliberate missing of the verb 'were' saying that the verb is elided in the second arm, as we already have the same word verbatim in the earlier part.

Incidentally, here is a similar official question in those days that raised a bigger storm and gale wind

Quote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/so-dogged-were-frances-perkin-s-investigations-of-the-garment-industry-113690.html

So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

(A) and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,

(B) and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that

(C) her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that

(D) lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,

(E) so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

But the climax is yet to come. This is supposed to be an adaptation of an excerpt from the New York Times.

<http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/14/books ... -club.html>

and the relevant portion pertaining to Perkins is as follows.

Quote:
So dogged were her investigations of the garment industry, and so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that she was first recruited by Gov. Al Smith, and later by Gov. Franklin D. Roosevelt, to work within New York State government, rather than against it.

Strangely, the NYT version contains the all-important 'and', which GMAT woefully has missed.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 08 Dec 2018, 05:27.
Last edited by daagh on 08 Dec 2018, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 08:58
daagh wrote:
Use of 'and' between the two 'SOs' would have been most ideal; Without 'and' it looked as though the author is turning more poetic these days. Whether poetic or not, the author's rhetoric seems to be: After all the first part is a declarative clause but I want to intensify its effect by adding more info in the form of a modifier. So, I am using a modifier, and when I use a modifier you see there is no need to use neither a conjunction nor a verb. Therefore, what is the point?

One can give a benefit of the doubt for the deliberate missing of the verb 'were' saying that the verb is elided in the second arm, as we already have the same word verbatim in the earlier part.

Incidentally, here is a similar official question in those days that raised a bigger storm and gale wind

Quote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/so-dogged-were-frances-perkin-s-investigations-of-the-garment-industry-113690.html

So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

(A) and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,

(B) and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that

(C) her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that

(D) lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,

(E) so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

But the climax is yet to come. This is supposed to be an adaptation of an excerpt from the New York Times.

<http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/14/books ... -club.html>

and the relevant portion pertaining to Perkins is as follows.

Quote:
So dogged were her investigations of the garment industry, and so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that she was first recruited by Gov. Al Smith, and later by Gov. Franklin D. Roosevelt, to work within New York State government, rather than against it.

Strangely, the NYT version contains the all-important 'and', which GMAT woefully has missed.

daagh Thank you so much. Nice explanation as always :)

regards,
Arup
GMAT Club Bot
Re: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale- &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2018, 08:58

So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap