It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 06:49
BrainLab wrote:
D is just wordier than B, it also lacks THAT and AT before some time.

D has a parallelism issue. Notice that the sentence ends with a phrase after and: thus our genetic variation.

Hence, there should be a phrase before the and. However, in D, there is a clause before and: their numbers were greatly reduced.

In contrast, B says: ...an event that greatly reduced X and Y.
x: their numbers
Y: thus our genetic variation

X and Y are both phrases.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 52

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 07:11
macjas wrote:
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"-at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly,

Ing modifier must make sense with the subject of the clause.
For example

I dropped the groceries on the floor,scaring the baby. ( the action of scaring has been done by subject "I",thus doer and modifier are making sense together)
(above example taken from RON - Manhattan Gmat)

Joe became the CFO of the company, increasing his pay significantly. INCORRECT

Subject is here Joe.He didn't become CFO by himself, in fact it was an event of becoming CFO that increased his pay.
So subject and modifier don't make sense ,thus wrong.

Joe became the CFO of the company, a move that increased his pay significantly. CORRECT

In this example it was the move that he made and that led to increase in his pay thus correct.

Both example taken from E-GMAT

A is wrong because "ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers bla bla bla..."

The subject ancestors and modifier reducing don't make sense together.Did ancestor suffered to an awful event in order to reduce their number ? NO

The correct answer is B because in this answer choice the event s mentioned that led to reduction of number not the ancestor themselves.

"an event that greatly reduced their numbers"

that as relative pronoun modifying the noun event perfectly makes the meaning clear.

In the end,

Thanks to Ron(Manhattan) , to E-GMAT team and to Chris lele(Magoosh).
learned to tackle this problem from them.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 52

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 02:31
egmat
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"-at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

I still dont get why A is not correct ?
"ing" plays 2 role first is describing the action with subject and second it can be an effect of a cause mentioned earlier in the clause.
here why cant "greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation" be an effect of " ancestors suffering from event "
It can mean " ancestors suffered from event and thus suffering from that event led to reducing their....blabla " clear cause and effect.
if "ing" can play second role clearly why one has to check for the first role "ing" plays( i.e. describing with subject) ??
If option A is incorrect it has to be some other reason.
thanks

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3297 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 08:58
deepak268 wrote:
egmat

I still dont get why A is not correct ?
"ing" plays 2 role first is describing the action with subject and second it can be an effect of a cause mentioned earlier in the clause.
here why cant "greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation" be an effect of " ancestors suffering from event "
It can mean " ancestors suffered from event and thus suffering from that event led to reducing their....blabla " clear cause and effect.
if "ing" can play second role clearly why one has to check for the first role "ing" plays( i.e. describing with subject) ??
If option A is incorrect it has to be some other reason.
thanks

Without "that", the latter clause ( " at some time....greatly reduced their numbers") does not have much meaningful bearing to the first clause as the author intended. It is required to establish that the scientists believe even the latter clause and hence "that" is required to be repeated.

Kudos [?]: 3297 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 12:02
ccooley : I was wondering if you could help me with the following doubts?
1) I am having a hard time understanding how A break the parallelism and why is 'that' required to maintain it. I am referring to OG explanation here.
2) How would you define grammatically what role is dash playing here? I researched use of dash as per grammar rules but didnt find any other example similar to this question.
Thanks

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 197

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3297 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
ccooley : I was wondering if you could help me with the following doubts?
1) I am having a hard time understanding how A break the parallelism and why is 'that' required to maintain it. I am referring to OG explanation here.
2) How would you define grammatically what role is dash playing here? I researched use of dash as per grammar rules but didnt find any other example similar to this question.
Thanks

1. The author requires to convey that the fact that "at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers..." is believed by "some anthropologists". Without "that", the sense would be as though the author is expressing his own belief , not the anthropologists' belief.

2. Dash is versatile in use and can play the role of a comma, semicolon or a colon. Dash here plays the role of a colon(:) - the colon can be used to provide further explanation for what comes before it. The dash, as a replacement of a colon, plays the same role here.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
debbiem wrote:
daagh wrote:
A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers ------ A hyphen is not the tool to connect two ICs.
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers -------- ‘that ’ is the right connector ---correct choice.
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced ------- altered notion; it looks as if the ancestors suffered a calamity in order to reduce their numbers.
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced -------- conjugation of two ICs with hyphenation is wrong.
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly, ------ same as in D

Dear Sir,

Is the main reason of choosing b/w B and D is that D has hypen in between and not a semi colon..?
Had there been a semicolon would both B and D be equally correct..?

A hyphen (dash) can be used in place of semicolon - hyphen is a versatile punctuation and can replace comma, semicolon or colon. Hence punctuation is NOT the reason that D is wrong. Following is a reason why A, D, and E (choices without "that") are wrong:

some-anthropologists-believe-that-the-genetic-homogeneity-134793-20.html#p1681019

Moreover "event from which" is not correct usage.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 01:27
ChrisLele

I have a doubt regarding your explanation of answer 'A'. According to my understanding, Greatly reducing is a -ing modifier preceded by comma which generally modifies the entire clause or is used to indicate the result of preceding statement. So in this case the modifier modifies the entire clause that at some time ancestors suffered an event and this led to great reduction in their number. So, according to me the modifier usage is correct. Can you please point out the flaw in my understanding?

Thanks in advance.

ChrisLele wrote:
In answer choice (A) there is a problem with modification. (A) is implying that our ancestors greatly reduced their own numbers (this is incorrect because it was the event that greatly reduced ancestors). When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase (one that starts with a gerund and serves as an adjective clause), the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence.

In non-grammarese: 'ancestors' is the subject of the independent clause, 'at some time...' and because of the comma after event, we have the incorrect meaning. It was not the ancestors but an event that 'reduced their numbers.'

Therefore, we want to make sure that it is clear that 'event' is 'greatly reducing the numbers.' One way to fix that is by using the relative pronoun 'that.' In (B), we have 'an event that greatly reduced their numbers' that does a good job of correcting the error in (A).

Therefore (B) is the answer.

Last edited by jjindal on 07 Jul 2016, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 03:59
jjindal wrote:
I have a doubt regarding your explanation of answer 'A'. According to my understanding, Greatly reducing is a -ing modifier followed by comma

Hello jjindal, I believe you mean preceded by a comma (and not followed by comma).

Quote:
generally modifies the entire clause or is used to indicate the result of preceding statement. So in this case the modifier modifies the entire clause that at some time ancestors suffered an event and this led to great reduction in their number. So, according to me the modifier usage is correct. Can you please point out the flaw in my understanding?

Such modifiers modify the subject of the preceding clause, in this case ancestors; this results in the meaning issue that Chris points out in his post earlier.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Participial Phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 05:27
macjas wrote:

A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly,

In the question, I can't understand WHY A is wrong? In A, didn't 'event' modify '' greatly reducing their numbers''?
In B, their indicates what? does it indicate ''anthropologists'', "people" or "ancestors
also, HOW an 'event' greatly reduced their number?
If I say:
They killed their father. [/i] Here, their is the pronoun of they. So, in the sentence B, .....event reduced their number. Here, their is plural but event is singular. I should not say that He killed their father. How the sentence matched its pronoun in B?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
iMyself wrote:
macjas wrote:

In the question, I can't understand WHY A is wrong? In A, didn't 'event' modify '' greatly reducing their numbers''?
In B, their indicates what? does it indicate ''anthropologists'', "people" or "ancestors
If I say:
They killed their father. [/i] Here, their is the pronoun of they. So, in the sentence B, .....event reduced their number. Here, their is plural but event is singular. I should not say that He killed their father. How the sentence matched its pronoun in B?
Thanks...

1. Following is the official explanation for A:
The omission of that after the dash makes the function of the final clause unclear. The structure makes that clause appear to be an awkward and rhetorically puzzling separate assertion that the writer has appended to the prior claim about what the anthropologists believe. The agent or cause of reducing is unclear.

2. I do not understand your query "HOW an 'event' greatly reduced their number?" Why do you think that an event cannot reduce their number?

3. This query is also not clear - why do you consider that " He killed their father" is not correct? Why only "they" can kill their father and a single person (or a single event) can't?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 11:16
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:

If I say:
Thanks...

1. Following is the official explanation for A:
The omission of that after the dash makes the function of the final clause unclear. The structure makes that clause appear to be an awkward and rhetorically puzzling separate assertion that the writer has appended to the prior claim about what the anthropologists believe. The agent or cause of reducing is unclear.

2. I do not understand your query "HOW an 'event' greatly reduced their number?" Why do you think that an event cannot reduce their number?

3. This query is also not clear - why do you consider that " He killed their father" is not correct? Why only "they" can kill their father and a single person (or a single event) can't?

1) In B, their indicates what? does it indicate ''anthropologists'', "people" or "ancestors

2) They killed their father. [/i] Here, their is the possessive of they
My question is: in the original sentence:
...................event reduced their number. here, is 'their' possessive of 'event'?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 12:14
ChrisLele wrote:
In answer choice (A) there is a problem with modification. (A) is implying that our ancestors greatly reduced their own numbers (this is incorrect because it was the event that greatly reduced ancestors). When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase (one that starts with a gerund and serves as an adjective clause), the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence.

In non-grammarese: 'ancestors' is the subject of the independent clause, 'at some time...' and because of the comma after event, we have the incorrect meaning. It was not the ancestors but an event that 'reduced their numbers.'

Therefore, we want to make sure that it is clear that 'event' is 'greatly reducing the numbers.' One way to fix that is by using the relative pronoun 'that.' In (B), we have 'an event that greatly reduced their numbers' that does a good job of correcting the error in (A).

Therefore (B) is the answer.

I just read ChrisLele's comment.
Why is the logic which he has mentioned not applicable to following question?
http://gmatclub[dot]com/forum/five-fledgling-sea-eagles-left-their-nests-in-western-130847.html
Using bringing would mean that eagles themselves are bringing down the numbers. But the fact is their action of leaving the nests is bringing down numbers.

sayantanc2k Can you please share your insights on this?

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 03:29

C that some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1177 [1], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
macjas wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 736
Page: 695

Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"—at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

Attachments

sc736.jpg
sc736.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 632 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1177 [1], given: 415

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 02:28
macjas wrote:

Practice Question

Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"—at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers- correct

- event alone is not responsible for reducing the numbers
The ancestor suffered an event is the cause.

Wordy . So that is ungrammatical

Same as B

Incorrect meaning.

The ancestor suffered an event is not deliberate.

Answer choice A as in original sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 19:00
Funniest thing to do is that .
Splitting option in a wrong opinion - that "that" cannot follow a "hyphen".
Marked A, but agree B is right.
:) .

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 180

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 05:05
explanations here are spot on cleared all my doubts

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 180

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 05:50

Quote:

'-' indicates that the author is going to rephrase what was mentioned in the first clause, so we need what comes after '-' to maintain parallelism => We require a 'that' immediately after the '-'
So A,D,E are out on this account.
A - States the ancestors reduced their own numbers
D - 'from which' is just plain awkward
E - 'so as to' indicates intent on the ancestors part and that was not the case.

Quote:

This alters the meaning and it seems like the ancestors suffered an event in order to reduce their numbers and that is clearly incorrect. OUT!

Quote:

Maintains parallelism + 'that greatly...' correctly refers to 'an event'

So B is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 93

Schools: ISB '18
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 23:31
macjas wrote:

Practice Question

A) Use of Verbing modifier is wrong as it modifies the entire preceding clause
B) Correct
C) Distorts the meaning. It means that they suffered the event inorder to reduce their numbers intentionally.
D) Distorts the meaning. It is the event which reduced their numbers
E) Distorts the meaning. It means that they suffered the event inorder to reduce their numbers intentionally.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 93

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2017, 23:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap