Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Parallelismx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

Can you help to differentiate between function of a hyphen and semicolon?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

Can you help to differentiate between function of a hyphen and semicolon?

Hello Arpit @adikikani,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

To begin with, this official sentence uses a dash and not a hyphen.

Now generally, both hyphens and semi-colons are used to connect two independent clauses.

However, in the correct answer choice of this official question, the hyphen is followed by a dependent clause.

Personally, I see this usage just as an exception to the rule, an atypical usage in a one-off case.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
egmat

1. I understand that "that" is needed after the "-" in order to maintain the parallelism between " that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck" and "that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event" as the portion after the "-" simply elaborates the portion before "-" and adds some more information. Please tell me if my understanding is correct.

2. However, please explain why is ", greatly reducing their numbers" wrong as I understand that ",-ing" modifies the preceeding clause and either presents the result of the action done in the preceeding clause or describes how the action is being done in the preceeding clause. Here, we can see that "greatly reducing their numbers" clearly presents the result of "past our ancestors suffered an event". Please explain
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aviejay wrote:
egmat

1. I understand that "that" is needed after the "-" in order to maintain the parallelism between " that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck" and "that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event" as the portion after the "-" simply elaborates the portion before "-" and adds some more information. Please tell me if my understanding is correct.

2. However, please explain why is ", greatly reducing their numbers" wrong as I understand that ",-ing" modifies the preceeding clause and either presents the result of the action done in the preceeding clause or describes how the action is being done in the preceeding clause. Here, we can see that "greatly reducing their numbers" clearly presents the result of "past our ancestors suffered an event". Please explain

Hello aviejay,

Thank you for the query and the PM. :-)

1. Yes, your understanding is correct.

2. It is true that the comma + verb-ing modifier presents either the how aspect or the result of the modified action. However, in modifying the preceding action, the comma + verb-ing modifier must also make sense with the doer of the modified action.

You are correct in saying that that comma + verb-ing modifier reducing seems to present the result of the action suffered. But, comma + reducing fails to make sense with doer - our ancestors - of the modified action.

Choice A seems to suggest that our ancestors suffered an event and as a result reduced their numbers. This meaning is certainly not logical.

From the context of the sentence, we know that the event that our ancestors suffered reduced their numbers.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"—at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

(A) at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers:

Reducing : Is the action is still continuing (NO). So this is wrong. it reduced long back.

(B) that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers

Correct answer: That (refer to the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck")
2. suffered an event that greatly: So the event that is greatly reduces the number

(C) that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced

so that their numbers were greatly: using of so that is wrong. No one forcibly reduced the number. As one event happened which reduced the number. So WRONG

(D) some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced

their numbers were greatly reduced: seems like someone reduced their number.WRONG

(E) some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly,

so as to reduce their numbers greatly,: It seems like the ancestors only reduced their number. WRONG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in [#permalink]
Can we reject option A because we are joining 2 independent clauses using —(dash) ?

Also, I understand that in option 'A', it does not makes sense that the doer of the actions, 'suffered an event' and 'greatly reducing their numbers', is 'our ancestors' even though the 2nd action is clearly a result of the first.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Can we reject option A because we are joining 2 independent clauses using —(dash) ?

Also, I understand that in option 'A', it does not makes sense that the doer of the actions, 'suffered an event' and 'greatly reducing their numbers', is 'our ancestors' even though the 2nd action is clearly a result of the first.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks
Saurabh
Hi Sarjaria84,

Although some people feel that a dash should not be used to join two independent clauses, I don't think we should regard that as a (reliable) rule. The GMAT doesn't really test punctuation all that much, so we'd be taking a risk if we were to apply something like that.

We could instead remove A because it drops the that that is supposed to describe ("limit") an event:
... our ancestors suffered an event... ← This doesn't make any sense. What kind of event? We would never say something like "they suffered an event" and end the sentence there, without adding anything to event.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I chose option A rather than B on the grounds of verb-ing modifier. In option A verb-ing modifier modifies verb 'suffered" which according to me is right rather than saying that an "event" reduced the numbers of ancestors as in option B.
Can anyone tell me where i went wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hridaybector wrote:
I chose option A rather than B on the grounds of verb-ing modifier. In option A verb-ing modifier modifies verb 'suffered" which according to me is right rather than saying that an "event" reduced the numbers of ancestors as in option B.
Can anyone tell me where i went wrong?

The act of suffering wouldn't, by itself, reduce the numbers. So, with choice (A), we are left wondering, "What, exactly, caused the reduction?"

A catastrophic event (i.e. an earthquake, a volcanic eruption, a meteor impact) could certainly kill many people and reduce the numbers of a group.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja please explain option C and D

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos