Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [21]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels [#permalink]
Can someone explain why A is wrong.
I went think A:
subject verb and parallelism - the fossil fuels have raised is correct in otion A and also parallelism is correct - the effects are contributing to -- and thereby leading to ---, and bringing down the temperature.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels [#permalink]
Expert Reply
In A, the burning (of fossil fuels) have raised flouts S-V agreement. It should be has raised or raises in line with the singularity of the burning

As pointed out rightly by almost all, the OA is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
I am confused between D and E.

(D) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raises the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and causes an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects contribute to an abundance of plant mass, thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature - is D better?

(E) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raise the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and cause an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects are contributing to an abundance of plant mass and thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, bringing down the temperature

Also, what is the role of thereby/ and thereby? Why is E incorrect?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Bunuel,

Can you pls add OA to this question.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer is E. There is a parallelism error in D.
(D) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raises the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and causes an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects "contribute" to an abundance of plant mass, thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature - is D better

All the other verbs are in ing form. Hence I think that the use of "contribute" is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Kudos
Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels have raised the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and have caused an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects are contributing to an abundance of plant mass and thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature

(A) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels have raised the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and have caused an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects are contributing to an abundance of plant mass and thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature - Incorrect

(B) While admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raise the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and cause an increase in the level of global temperature, some climatologists argue that both these effects are contributing to an abundance of plant mass and thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, bringing down the temperature
- Incorrect
© While admitting that the burning of fossil fuels has raised the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and has caused an increase in the level of global temperature, some climatologists have argued that both these effects have contributed to an abundance of plant mass and thereby have lead to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, having brought down the temperature - Incorrect

(D) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raises the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and causes an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects contribute to an abundance of plant mass, thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature - Correct

(E) Some climatologists, while admitting that the burning of fossil fuels raise the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and cause an increase in the level of global temperature, argue that both these effects are contributing to an abundance of plant mass and thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, bringing down the temperature
- Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If we take a close look at the options, we soon begin to see some clear errors emerge. Option E has an obvious subject verb disagreement, the ’ verb ‘have’ (plural) is being used with the noun ‘the burning of’ (singular). The confusion here seems to be that the sentence refers to ‘the burning of fossil fuels’. ‘fossil fuels’ is plural but it is not what the verb refers to. B makes a similar error by again pairing ‘the burning’ with a plural verb, ‘raise’. A also makes this mistake with the verb ‘have caused’. C suffers from a meaning error, ‘having bought down the temperature’ implies that the temperature is done dropping, when the sentence is supposed to mean that the heightened consumption of CO2 levels is currently bringing down the global temperatures.

So, D is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja

Could you please explain why E is wrong?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja

Could you please explain why E is wrong?

Thanks in advance

Because 'raise' and 'cause' are not referring to plural subject fossil fuels but they are referring to singular subject 'burning of fossil fuels'. Therefore, 'raises' and 'causes' or 'has raised' and 'has caused' is is expected.

------------------------------------------
Kudos if helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja
My bad regarding that...But I have a question regarding option D.
Is this part : "...thereby leading to heightened consumption of CO2 levels, and bringing down the temperature..", doesnt the use of and leads to the thinking that the heightened CO2 consumption and temperatures brought down are 2 independent things? I thought the sentence actually means that "bringing down the temperature" is an effect of "heightened CO2 consumption"...Therefore I had selected E as the correct answer

Please help! Thanks again
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos