Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
Re: Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactio [#permalink]
Kudos
In option (A), (B), & (C) what has been given is:
....disparate reactions.... explained/explainable as. We will need .....explained by and not explained as.

Also, in my opinion, the problem with (C) and (D) is of SV agreement.
all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist
It should be: ceases to exist.

I marked (E) & took 2:14 to finish this question.
Any corrections to the above explanation will be really valued! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Re: Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactio [#permalink]
Kudos
A) can be explained as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

Explained by is idiomatically correct

B) is explainable as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

S-V agreement error, Need "are" as subject is Plural i.e "reactions"

C) can be explained as its disorienting quality, a poem being a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist,

Idiom error, Wrong use of being, Verb error

D) are explainable by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist,

Verb error

E) can be explained by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

IMO, E is the right choice
Fixes idiom error
Sv Agreement is maintained
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactions to poetry can be explained as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist, and by its convoluted, often foreign, tone.

Pre-thinking: Parallelism - 'explained by its disorienting quality ... and by its convoluted'
Additionally, the correct meaning is displayed upon the use of 'by' - the disparate reactions to poetry are explained by its disorienting quality and not as its disorienting quality.

A) can be explained as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

B) is explainable as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

C) can be explained as its disorienting quality, a poem being a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist,

D) are explainable by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist,
SVA - 'All ceases' is right. 'All' makes subject plural and thus the verb should also be plural 'ceases'.

E) can be explained by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist,

IMO answer should be Option E.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [1]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Kudos
Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactions to poetry can be explained as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist, and by its convoluted, often foreign, tone.

A) can be explained as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist, Incorrect

B) is explainable as its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist, Incorrect

C) can be explained as its disorienting quality, a poem being a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist, Incorrect

D) are explainable by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life cease to exist, Incorrect

E) can be explained by its disorienting quality, since a poem is a place where all you thought you knew in daily life ceases to exist, Correct

POE -

after underlined portion there is by, so for parallelism needs to use by
eliminate A, B & C

between D & E
can be explained is better than are explainable that is distorted meaning

so Answer E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Can anyone, please explain what is the subject of "cease".

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V25
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not so sure about this answer but mine is (D). This is partly because I notified the clause "by its convoluted" then I found an answer which displays the parallelism. Besides, the subject of the verb "cease" is "all" so that it should be plural one.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
huyeenbuii wrote:
I'm not so sure about this answer but mine is (D). This is partly because I notified the clause "by its convoluted" then I found an answer which displays the parallelism. Besides, the subject of the verb "cease" is "all" so that it should be plural one.

Can you please explain all is singular here or plural.
Thanks
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V25
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactio [#permalink]
jrk23 wrote:
huyeenbuii wrote:

Can you please explain all is singular here or plural.
Thanks

Mine is wrong. In this case, "all" should be singular so that the answer is E
GMAT Club Bot
Some scholars of English literature believe that the disparate reactio [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts