It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (02:04) correct 81% (02:04) wrong based on 1113 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it. However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs. Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken.
The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it
(A) presumes, without providing any justification, that the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs must not hinder one’s ability to survive
(B) neglects the possibility that even while following the statisticians’ rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence
(C) overlooks the possibility that some large sets of beliefs are more correct overall than are some small sets of beliefs
(D) takes for granted that one should accept some beliefs related to survival even when given adequate evidence against them
(E) takes for granted that the beliefs we need in order to have many beliefs must all be correct beliefs
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by Vyshak on 03 Oct 2016, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
+1 B

The argument believes that there could be only a decrease in the number of beliefs.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 05:19
+1 for D(not sure though...took a lot of time...really tough question).

It uprooted my "belief" that I can do well in CR. :(
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 11:48
(A) presumes, without providing any justification, that the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs must not hinder one’s ability to survive
(B) neglects the possibility that even while following the statisticians’ rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence
(C) overlooks the possibility that some large sets of beliefs are more correct overall than are some small sets of beliefs
(D) takes for granted that one should accept some beliefs related to survival even when given adequate evidence against them
(E) takes for granted that the beliefs we need in order to have many beliefs must all be correct beliefs

Reject A because The author gives a reason "Since we need many beliefs in order to survive"
(C) Takes it for granted that all will have large sets of beliefs
(D)The stimulus nowhere says that one must accept wrong beliefs as well
(E) Nowhere mentioned.In fact the stimulus accepts that the beliefs may be wrong
I was left with B
but the stimulus says "never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it"B contradicts the stimulus.I will go with C then .In this case All people will ensure that they have large sets of beliefs which will be more correct overall

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 01:32
I chose B, but I have doubts since the set should not be changed...
What's the OA ?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2011, 02:05
This post received
KUDOS
i tried to find out the OA , it is A .

it is really irresponsible that people post questions and then dont care enough to post the official answer.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2011, 07:17
Straight B here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 10:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it. However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs. Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I eliminated B, C, D as soon as I went through them but was stuck between A & E and eventually selected the latter.. It turned out wrong.. Explanations are welcome..

Last edited by Vyshak on 03 Oct 2016, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Merged.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 02:55
Hello experts,

could you please help us with the above question.

Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 08:29
Aketa wrote:
Hello experts,

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned earlier, you need to elaborate your query specifically, so as to enable us to address it properly.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with A.

I reject B because, the statistician clearly says that "never change that set, except by rejecting a belief", which translates to not adding new beliefs, but only deleting existing ones.

Also, I support A because the statistician only talks about the correctness of a set of beliefs. However, the author talks about survival, a completely irrelevant conclusion.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 20:58
sayantanc2k wrote:
Aketa wrote:
Hello experts,

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned earlier, you need to elaborate your query specifically, so as to enable us to address it properly.

Hello Sir,

i would like to know why b is wrong. as per my understanding since the author has not touched the fact that the number of facts can increase so i was inclined to choose b. secondly, with
A "the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs must not hinder one’s ability to survive" i was not able to connect it with the argument.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 03:33
Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one???s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it. However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one???s beliefs or else leave one???s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs. Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians??? claim must be mistaken.
(A) presumes, without providing any justification, that the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one???s beliefs must not hinder one???s ability to survive
(B) neglects the possibility that even while following the statisticians??? rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence

Kindly provide explanation on why A is the right answer and not B?
Expert Post
16 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:

The passage first presents a claim that some statisticians make: "the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it" (in other words, "don't add any beliefs; rather, only remove beliefs when given adequate evidence against them).

The author then prefaces the argument with, "if this were the only rule one followed.." (and that rule is, "never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it."). Therefore, the author's argument is only concerned with what would happen if that were the only rule one followed (ie if one were to only remove beliefs and never add new beliefs). If someone were to "accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence" (as stated in choice B), then that person would NOT be adhering only to that rule (since they would be ADDING to the set of beliefs). So the author does not neglect the "possibility that even while following the statisticians’ rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence"; rather, the author specifically states that the argument does not apply in those situations. Thus, B can be eliminated.

Now let's consider choice A... both the author and the statisticians would agree that, "if this were the only rule one followed... then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs". The statisticians claim that this is the "surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs"; however, the author concludes that "the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken", since "we need many beliefs in order to survive". But the statisticians only claim that following that rule will increase the overall correctness of the total set of one's beliefs; they never claim that following that rule will or will not hinder one's ability to survive. For example, imagine a person with 100 beliefs who only follows the rule presented in the passage and ends up rejecting 95 of those beliefs. This may in fact hinder that person's ability to survive, but if the few remaining beliefs are all correct, then the statisticians claim would still be correct and the author's argument would fail. In other words, the statisticians claim is only concerned with the correctness of the total set of one's belief, not with how those beliefs (or lack thereof) affect one's ability to survive. Choice A accurately identifies this weakness in the author's argument.

www.gmatninja.com

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 10:21
+1 for A .
Without justification says that
surest way to increase the overall correctness needs many beliefs in order to survive
Flaw
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 06:43
Why C is not the right answer? any explanation?
Intern
Intern
B
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 22:07
I got stuck in a and c but I could not split with proper analysing please explaine

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.83

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 08:52
noboru wrote:

Premise: Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it.

Counter premise: However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs.

Conclusion: Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken.

It is clear that there is a gap in the Premise to support the conclusion. Agreed that the premise is correct, but where does it prove that given Premise leads to the Conclusion? Answer A clearly addresses this.
Re: Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2018, 08:52

Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap