It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SOS! Need Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

SOS! Need Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 02:25
Hi guys!
I'm not a native speaker and I'm going to take GMAT in a week but I already know that I will definitely get a very low score..it's not that I'm worried and scared of the GMAT (which surely I am), it's more about analyzing how I did prepare for GMAT..I had my work and SAP trainings going on, friends' parties and everything. I did very bad on my prep and besides I also prepared for taking my TOEFL exam which is comming in 4 days..
Well the point is that I'm thinking of going to the US and taking some GMAT prep classes.. Do you think it's worthing? I mean this is very hard for me to do studying and working at the same time.. and as I'm not a native speaker being in the US will help me a lot.
Or do you think that it's possible to prepare on my own, w/t spending money on the classes?
I'm really messed up..
but hopefully I'll get good TOEFL scores at least
))

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: SOS! Need Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 02:47
I would suggest you to forget about GMAT for 4 days , prepae for TOEFEL well and get the work done for it.
once TOEFEL is done , write GMATPREP and check your scores , if you meet the expected scores , go ahead and write the test . If you score way less than the expected scores , you may postpone the test. Plan your studies and take the test when you think you are fully prepared.

Lahoosaher

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28530 [0], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 21:30
Hello Irina

Maybe I am biased but I think there is a good area of overlap between GMAT and TOEFL (it was in my mind). If you get a good score on TOEFL, you have a good chance with GMAT and vice versa. Do focus on the TOEFL for the next few days as it won't help your GMAT score much to stress about that. Since you are within the 2 week period, it makes no sense to cancel your gmat appointment as you will not recover your money. So, go ahead and give it the best fight you can.

You can get a copy of GMAT Prep for free (gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html), take it and it will give you a very good idea about how you will score. This will also help you get ready for the test and may improve your score significantly if you spend some time to review the questions you get wrong and find out really why you made those errors and ensure you don't.

About prep classes - see this post: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html
You can read the reviews and feedback and see if the experience people shared appeals to you. I am not sure where you live, but there are GMAT prep classes all over the world - check your area; may not need to travel too far.

Many agree that the main purpose of GMAT prep classes is to discipline you allow a professional to answer any questions you may have. You will save time compared to preparing on your own, but the score you get is not guaranteed really and fully depends on the effort you invest. So, getting enrolled in the class will yield the result that will be directly proportional to the effort. Some people absolutely go for it and combine a bit of self prep with classes. For others, the time they save is more valuable than the money they spend - it is different for everyone.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 16:17
Thanks guys for advise.. I recently took my TOEFL and GMAT tests. As i anticipated, GMAT was a complete failure, I even thought about cancelling my scores but was very curious on how I could score w/t proper and solid preparation. So i got 370. It's a disaster. I know I'm stupid and everything.. I was very ashamed and still very very dissapointed. Anyway, I decided not to give up, I have a year ahead to do GMAT studying.. but still at times I think is it real to get from 370 to 650 at least? I mean is GMAT all about being that smart or it can still be taught?
Well, as for my TOEFL test ..I was mixed up. I mean, I didn't prepare for it cause didn't have time.. and when I went to the test center I started worrying and everything.. I couldn't focus on reading, was struggling with Listening trying not to watch at the walls, but the worst thing for me was Speaking. I could barely made myself talk to the monitor. So i finished the test and went out with a bad sense that I wouldn't get even 80. And yesterday I checked my login and found out the scores... I got 103 :))) I know this is not a very good score, but taking into consideration that I felt bad at the test (due to my flight to Seoul to take it) and couldn't make myself be focused, I was very glad that I scored more than it's required by the university.. But still feel like not really satisfied with my TOEFL scores.. cause if I had prepared for it at least for a month, I could've got more..
What do you think guys? Should I take TOEFL again? And should I take GMAT prep course or is it all about self-discipline regarding consistent studing for the test on my own?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 16:25
irina7k wrote:
I mean is GMAT all about being that smart or it can still be taught?

GMAT can't measure one's intelligence. That's not it's purpose. The exam score can be increased significantly through prepping and practicing with proper methods. (Proof? all the prep books and services available out there....)

Just invest some time and effort into prepping for the exam and you will see that slowly, your score will increase incrementally.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 16:45
irina7k wrote:
What do you think guys? Should I take TOEFL again? And should I take GMAT prep course or is it all about self-discipline regarding consistent studing for the test on my own?

Almost all schools require TOEFL of 100 or less.

TOEFL score does not count - it is a pass/fail only. If you have a score higher than required by the school (usually 100), it is a pass, but it does not matter by how much, so don't invest a minute more of your time unless your school requires a higher TOEFL score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 23:31
hey,
trust me nothing is impossible.all thats required is few weeks/months of concentrated effort.it will definitely sail u thru the gmat -trust me on that.if u think,then u shuld get sm free time out and study hard.you might have gone thru so many blogs,i experienced my self( see my thread),that no matter at what low level u were,if u work hard u can get to ur dream score...
All thats needed is sheer hard work of few weeks.
i surely beleieve that u have in urself to do so.
will be waiting to hear about ur success story in coming months.
chers and best of luck
bye!!!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 06:59
irina7k wrote:
Hi guys!and as I'm not a native speaker being in the US will help me a lot.

No, it's not going to help you at all. Some of my friends have done that and they had zero added value. Simply, this test is created to trick native speakers, not to mention us internationals. TOEFL is a totally different story - even some 2 or 3 month stay in an English speaking area would do a miracle for TOEFL score. For GMAT - forget about it.

irina7k wrote:
Or do you think that it's possible to prepare on my own, w/t spending money on the classes?

Here you go. You can do it alone much better for consideraly lower ammount of money. And, yes, you have to do it while working. Beleive me, it's not nearly as bad as preparation for CFA after work :beat

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 01:12
bb wrote:
irina7k wrote:

Almost all schools require TOEFL of 100 or less.

TOEFL score does not count - it is a pass/fail only. If you have a score higher than required by the school (usually 100), it is a pass, but it does not matter by how much, so don't invest a minute more of your time unless your school requires a higher TOEFL score.

I just thought that among let's say two applicants with almost equal possibilities to be admitted to MBA, they will choose the one with the highest TOEFL score as indication of better command of English..

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 01:18
superguy619 wrote:
hey,
trust me nothing is impossible.all thats required is few weeks/months of concentrated effort.it will definitely sail u thru the gmat -trust me on that.if u think,then u shuld get sm free time out and study hard.you might have gone thru so many blogs,i experienced my self( see my thread),that no matter at what low level u were,if u work hard u can get to ur dream score...
All thats needed is sheer hard work of few weeks.
i surely beleieve that u have in urself to do so.
will be waiting to hear about ur success story in coming months.
chers and best of luck
bye!!!

I read your story, it's amazing!!! You are so strong really that you didn't give up and did everything you could and probably what was even beyond that.. I'm also very impressed because you are a non-native English speaker! You know sometimes I even could get what the task was about in Quant Part..
Anyway.. YOU ROCK! Congratulations!! So where have you been admitted?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 01:22
Pathfinder wrote:
irina7k wrote:
Hi guys!and as I'm not a native speaker being in the US will help me a lot.

No, it's not going to help you at all. Some of my friends have done that and they had zero added value. Simply, this test is created to trick native speakers, not to mention us internationals. TOEFL is a totally different story - even some 2 or 3 month stay in an English speaking area would do a miracle for TOEFL score. For GMAT - forget about it.

irina7k wrote:

Here you go. You can do it alone much better for consideraly lower ammount of money. And, yes, you have to do it while working. Beleive me, it's not nearly as bad as preparation for CFA after work :beat

Yeah ic..probably I should just focus on my GMAT prep.. I'm thinking over now to quit my job because it's hard for me to combine both.. I work 10hrs per day, with only one day off.. not to mention that my work requires me to be at the construction site which is way too far from any civilization.. that environment sometimes stressed me out because I can't go for a walk, can't meet my friends and so on.

What's CFA?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 01:36
Guys.. I also need your advise on the following..
The reason why I decided to apply for MBA program is that now it's bad times, world economic crisis, high unemployment rate.. in Russia it's really hard to find a good job now, especially because I'm a recent graduate and my major's public administration, that doesn't refer to any economic specialization. I was lucky to get a good job at an American company but as I've mentioned above this is pretty hard to work at the construction site, where you live in a camp and almost all of the time you spend in the office, because simply there's no any Internet connection, TV set in your room and the food they cater us is bad.
That's why I decided that it's best to invest money in myself.. moving forward and studying in an English speaking country, as I've been learning English for more than 14 years and I still didn't have a chance to go to the US or UK..
But as I'm reading more and more about MBA, i think that probably it's too early for me to apply to MBA. My working experience is only 2 years, and it's not a managerial experience of course..
So what do you think ? Will it be valuable for me to study at MBA program with such work experience?
And I've also been recently said about MBA program at Seoul National University that has a dual program with Fuqua Business School of Duke University, but I don't have to take GMAT to apply for it, though I will need GMAT scores upon completing a year at SNU to be admitted to Duke which means that I will have a year ahead to prepare for the test.. or I will have more time to prepare for GMAT and apply to the US universities directly. What's best?

Re: SOS! Need Help!   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2009, 01:36

SOS! Need Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap