GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 19:55
arijitdas31 wrote:
Can someone please explain the structure of the sentence"Sound can do X, its _____". Is the second part a modifier?
Yes, that's right. Take a look at this post. For what it's worth, this type of modifier doesn't seem to be very common, but test takers should be aware of it.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 07:34
Top Contributor
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

1) prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of
2)prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
3) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
4) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
5) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

The whole issue here is about the modification of the comma plus verb+ed modifier' 'prevented'. It is an error to think that the participle 'comma plus prevented' can modify the distant 'sound'. A past participle modifier separated by a comma and intercepting a clause can only modify the nearest noun namely distances, which is devoid of any meaning in the contest.

Therefore, we can safely dump A and B.

Nor is it any more sensible to say that sound prevented its own acoustic energy from dissipation in order to be able to travel long distances as in E.

Between C and D, it doesn't take too long to kick out D for using the phrase 'being dissipated' as a modifier. Therefore, it is a cake-walk for C.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 22:01
GMATNinja, could you help figuring out the difference between option C and E?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 07:33
deepakgarg1373 wrote:
GMATNinja, could you help figuring out the difference between option C and E?

A present participle ("-ing") modifier may refer to the subject of the preceding clause. In E, the present participle "preventing.." refers to the subject of the previous clause ("sound") - the meaning implied is that the sound itself prevents its (own) acoustic energy from dissipating.

C does not convey this faulty meaning.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 03:31
Hi,

Why option 'C' can't be a run on sentence, as it has two clauses. I eliminated this because it has two clauses without any connector.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 04:17
suresh918 wrote:
Hi,

Why option 'C' can't be a run on sentence, as it has two clauses. I eliminated this because it has two clauses without any connector.

Hi suresh918, a run-on sentence is when two Independent clauses are connected by a comma.

In C, following is not an Independent clause.

its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by...

It is, what's called, an Absolute modifier: Noun (its acoustic energy) + Noun-modifier (prevented from dissipating by...)

By the way, prevented is used as a past participle here, and not as a verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute Modifier, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 02:52
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
(A) prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of
(B) prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
(C) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
(D) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
(E) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

POE: I am putting all my learning from all the experts. GMATNinja daagh mikemcgarry egmat. Please correct me if my learning is wrong.
(A) prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of- WRONG- Since Verb-ed modifier modifies the preceding noun or the noun phrase therefore, “prevented” here modifies “enormous distance” which is not logically right. It should modify “acoustic energy”
(B) prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by- Same as A
(C) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by- Correct- IC+comma(,)+ Noun phrase (giving extra information) – Right construction- No problem with clear meaning. Let's keep it for a while till we get a better option
(D) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of – First usage of BEING is incorrect. From Daagh’s explanation I have taken this “Whenever you see, ‘being’, ask what is being or who is being. If you get a positive answer, then ‘being’ is a modifier and that structure is unacceptable in GMAT.” Here what is being? “Accoustic Energy”. We get the positive answer. Hence out.
(E) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by – WRONG- Whenever Verbing is used, it modifies the preceding clause and is associated with the subject of the preceding clause. Here SOUND is the subject, and it is not PREVENTING “its acoustic energy from dissipating”. Illogical.

Hence C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 03:50
Hi egmat,

Thank your for the explanations. In C, the part after the comma becomes fragment, if it is not fragment, what is the difference?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 00:02
financestudent wrote:
Hi egmat,

Thank your for the explanations. In C, the part after the comma becomes fragment, if it is not fragment, what is the difference?

Thanks
The part that you refer to as a fragment cannot be a complete thought (subject verb combination). If you want, you can take a look at this post and this post for answers to similar questions.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 22:08
Since answer choice (C) conveys the meaning better than any other option without any ambiguity, hence (C) is correct!
suresh918 wrote:
Hi,

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 18:17
In the correct option C, what ensures that "its" correctly refers to 'sound',but not to 'water'?

Posted from my mobile device

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

MGMAT1 :590 Q42 V30 (07/07/18)
VERITAS :660 Q48 V33 (16/07/18)
GMATPREP1 :690 Q46 V36 (22/07/18)
GMATPREP2 :740 Q51 V39 (06/08/18)
ECONOMIST :740 Q49 V44 (11/08/18)
KAPLAN :690 Q49 V36 (17/08/18)
PRINCETON :690 Q48 V38 (26/08/18)
MGMAT2 :720 Q43 V45 (02/09/18)

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 13:35
Top Contributor
In the correct option C, what ensures that "its" correctly refers to 'sound',but not to 'water'?

C. Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

1. Technicals: The word 'acoustic' refers to sound and therefore acoustic energy means sound contained in sound waves. On the contrary, water's energy refers typically to the electricity generated from water.

2. Grammar. A pronoun's first choice of antecedent is always the subject, and if the subject doesn't suit, it may refer to a direct object or an object of the preposition that may be near to it. All in all, the logical meaning rather than the placements plays the decisive role.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.69
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 03:09

(A) prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of
(B) prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
(C) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
(D) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
(E) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

This sentence has a simple split: Options A and B are out as prevented from .... modifies noun Sound but the modifier is placed away from NOUN it modifies. A NOUN MODIFIER ALWAYS TOUCHES THE NOUN IT MODIFIES

Option D - Being dissipated

Option E - Preventing its acoustic...??? Is sound doing the action of preventing its acoustics ? Meaning error !!

Best and correct choice - Option C
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 06:30
stanleygao wrote:

The correct answer is D. its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by

I am confused with the sentence construction of this question. It looks like there are two complete sentences without a proper conjunction of "and" or ";".
First sentence: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances.
Second sentence: its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Dear stanleygao,

Two things about the query you raised.
1. "I am confused with the sentence construction of this question. It looks like there are two complete sentences without a proper conjunction of "and" or ";". "
GMAT doesn't allow 2 "two complete sentences"(sentences with subject and verb) to be connected with a conjunction, but rather they are combined with a semicolon(;).
2. In the above mentioned sentence. The first portion before the comma is a clause, but the second portion is a absolute phrase.
2 things here:
1. There isn't a verb in the second portion at all. "Prevented" is a past participle, and dissipating is a present participle, but not active verbs.
2. Absolute phrase:
The part after the comma (called the absolute phrase) has the following characteristics:
1. It starts with a possessive form (his, her, its, their etc.)
2. It only adds to the meaning (just additional or filler information). It is not core information.
3. It contains no verb (it is a phrase).
4. It is adverbial in nature (it goes back to the whole clause, not to a specific noun).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 06:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap