It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3041 [6], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:48) correct 14% (01:08) wrong based on 671 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c. the ice cap that covered northern Asia, Europe, and America began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied by migrating peoples moving northward.

A. began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied
B. began melting, to uncover vast new areas to be occupied
C. began, by melting, to uncover vast new areas for occupation
D. began, after melting, uncovering vast new areas which are to be occupied
E. would begin to uncover, through melting, vast new areas for occupation

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 702
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3041 [6], given: 220

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 158 [5], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c. the ice cap that covered northern Asia, Europe, and America began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied by migrating peoples moving northward.

Correct
- - Changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting
- Changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting
- "UNCOVERING" changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting.
E. would begin to uncover, through melting, vast areas for occupation
- Use of "WOULD" is incorrect since it means that Melting would begin in sometime. Moreover, "WOULD BEGIN TO UNCOVER" changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 158 [5], given: 12

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1061 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 04:29
A. began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied –Correct
B. began melting, to uncover vast new areas to be occupied – to uncover is illogical as it was not an intent
C. began, by melting, to uncover vast new areas for occupation to uncover is illogical as it was not an intent
D. began, after melting, uncovering vast new areas which are to be occupied – changes the meaning – the causal relationship between melting of ice caps and uncovering is lost ; Also which is incorrect as we need a comma before it
E. would begin to uncover, through melting, vast new areas for occupation – changes the meaning the causal relationship between melting of ice caps and uncovering is lost

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1061 [0], given: 90

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 05:16
Hello Team,
I have a query related to option A. I selected the correct answer based on PoE. In option A, we have ???ing verb used correctly to depict the result of some action i.e. the result of melting of ice cap. My query is for the verb tense. Why is ???were to???
considered correct in this sentence? Shouldn???t we be using, ideally, would in this scenario to depict something that happened in the future from past perspective?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2032 [3], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
warriorguy wrote:
Hello Team,
I have a query related to option A. I selected the correct answer based on PoE. In option A, we have ???ing verb used correctly to depict the result of some action i.e. the result of melting of ice cap. My query is for the verb tense. Why is ???were to???
considered correct in this sentence? Shouldn???t we be using, ideally, would in this scenario to depict something that happened in the future from past perspective?

I think I agree with everything you've said here, warriorguy! Process of elimination should lead you to the right answer, even if you think "were to be" sounds ridiculous, or isn't an ideal form of the verb. You're always looking for four wrong answers -- and you've found them, so (A) must be correct. And that's the right way to approach everything on SC.

I also agree that "would be occupied" or "would later be occupied" or even "were later occupied" would be decent alternatives to "were to be occupied." But there's nothing wrong with "were to be": it's just another way to express the future from the vantage point of the past. Technically, I think it's a form of the past subjunctive that's almost never used in modern American English, so it sounds a little bit archaic to us. I'd never use it in real life, but it's not wrong.

In my opinion, (A) "sounds bad" in its current form, but sound NEVER matters. It's still the right answer, even if it sounds like hot garbage. ;)

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2032 [3], given: 462

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
elegantm wrote:

Correct
- - Changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting
- Changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting
- "UNCOVERING" changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting.
E. would begin to uncover, through melting, vast areas for occupation
- Use of "WOULD" is incorrect since it means that Melting would begin in sometime. Moreover, "WOULD BEGIN TO UNCOVER" changes the original intent of the sentence, conveying ICE CAPS began uncovering vast areas DIRECTLY. Original intent is "Vast areas were uncovered as a result of Melting.

Hello elegantm,

You have done a very good analysis of this official question. You actually applied the meaning approach to solve this one, that's really commendable. Keep up the good job. :)

I would just like to add that Choice B is worded such that it seems to suggest that the ice caps started melting with the intent to uncover vast areas. This is most certainly not the intended meaning as you have correctly pointed out in your analysis.

What you have mentioned about Choice B is certainly suitable for Choice C.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Chat Moderator
P

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 20:35
GMATNinja wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
Hello Team,

I think I agree with everything you've said here, warriorguy! Process of elimination should lead you to the right answer, even if you think "were to be" sounds ridiculous, or isn't an ideal form of the verb. You're always looking for four wrong answers -- and you've found them, so (A) must be correct. And that's the right way to approach everything on SC.

I also agree that "would be occupied" or "would later be occupied" or even "were later occupied" would be decent alternatives to "were to be occupied." But there's nothing wrong with "were to be": it's just another way to express the future from the vantage point of the past. Technically, I think it's a form of the past subjunctive that's almost never used in modern American English, so it sounds a little bit archaic to us. I'd never use it in real life, but it's not wrong.

In my opinion, (A) "sounds bad" in its current form, but sound NEVER matters. It's still the right answer, even if it sounds like hot garbage. ;)

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the clarification GMATNinja.

So takeaway from this question for me is that : both would and were are eligible to depict a future event from past PoV.

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8323 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 10:08
Top Contributor
The melting was just incidental and not intentional. Therefore, the infinitive 'to uncover' is out of sync. Drop B, C, and E. Between A and D, " the phrase, 'which are to be occupied' in D makes no sense as if these areas are waiting for some 16000 years for someone to occupy. A is the best available among all

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8323 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 476

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 01:17

A.began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied
B.began melting, to uncover vast new areas to be occupied
C.began, by melting, to uncover vast new areas for occupation
D.began, after melting, uncovering vast new areas which are to be occupied
E.would begin to uncover, through melting, vast new areas for occupation

Tagging GMATNinja

In D What uncovering is modifying? -ing modifier should nearest action (after melting).

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 476

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 06:15
NandishSS wrote:

A.began to melt, uncovering vast new areas that were to be occupied
B.began melting, to uncover vast new areas to be occupied
C.began, by melting, to uncover vast new areas for occupation
D.began, after melting, uncovering vast new areas which are to be occupied
E.would begin to uncover, through melting, vast new areas for occupation

Tagging GMATNinja

In D What uncovering is modifying? -ing modifier should nearest action (after melting).

Hello NandishSS,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

In Choice D, the word uncovering is not a modifier. It is a verb-ing noun word (gerund).

The sentence with Choice D actually says the ice cap began uncovering vast new areas after melting.

Basically, the modifier after melting has been placed between the two commas. So, the comma before uncovering does not belong to this word.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Re: Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c.   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 06:15

Between 14,000 and 8,000 b.c.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap