Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: St Gallen vs Mannheim [#permalink]
Kudos
It depends on where do you want to work afterwards and what do you want to do. St. Gallen has a very strong reputation both in Germany and Switzerland - no matter which degree you have from this school:) And they seem to have very nice alumni/students - however I did not have a chance to meet Mannheim alumni.

Please also check the QS Top MBA ranking, for Europe it provides more accurate information on how do employers see your degree. - and it also ranks schools according to specialization - https://www.topmba.com/sites/default/fil ... t-2013.pdf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Disclaimer: I did my undergrad in St. Gallen.

As stated before St. Gallen beats Mannheim with regards to reputation in German-speaking Europe (which is practically one job-market) - if you consider the whole institution and quality of academics. And that's probably what the 50% uptick is for.

The real question here is about the MBA degree - it is an American invention and very well accepted in the English-speaking world. But the situation is really different in Germany and Switzerland, where an MBA just doesn't really fit with the traditional educational environment.

I believe therefore it is impossible to say which one is better in general terms. There is no established and accepted "reputation" for the MBA programs. It really depends on what your pre-MBA experience looks like and what your goals are. But it seems that this is not entirely clear...

So: Mannheim is cheaper and you'll find it easier there to learn German - I agree. But frankly, learning German is not a one-year undertaking, especially if you do an intense MBA program. Unless you are an absolutely outstanding (and I mean absolutely outstanding!) language learner and you know that you'll pick it up "on the go" I assure you won't be able to speak decent (i.e. useful for business) German after one year. So it don't think this should be a deciding factor.

In you're case I would really go and visit both schools and check which "vibe" you prefer. The Germans in St. Gallen for example, usually like that its close to alps for skiing etc. but on the other hand it's a small town... you like it or you don't.

If you don't want to visit the schools I would go for Mannheim. 50% higher fee is too much risk for a school that you might actually like less.

Hope this helps a bit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Guys thank for advices .I really do believe i ll learn german in 1 year. I have german background. The point is in switzerland there are few big corporations. They do have great banking institutions but I do not want to work in bank. How is the reputation of St Gallen outside the German speaking world esp. Other part of Europe? How is their career service ? Do they find a job or help a lot? On the other hand bloomberg/economist / financial times rankings show mannheim is better. What I do not like about Mannheim is their class size is not big ( few alumni narrow network) and since there is 5 track few germans remained in Mannheim . The fees of these two schools are now equal for me since I have got scholarship from both
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
YouKnw St gallen's class size is not too big either...there placement record is appealing and ppl do find job in nearby countries...u must check its brochure..., it will be f gr8 help....
By the can u share ur profile and the gmat score....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4154 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
5 years ıf work experience in finance in an int. company
700 GMAT (47 Q 40V)
Nationality Turkish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
perfectstranger1 wrote:
Guys thank for advices .I really do believe i ll learn german in 1 year. I have german background. The point is in switzerland there are few big corporations. They do have great banking institutions but I do not want to work in bank. How is the reputation of St Gallen outside the German speaking world esp. Other part of Europe? How is their career service ? Do they find a job or help a lot? On the other hand bloomberg/economist / financial times rankings show mannheim is better. What I do not like about Mannheim is their class size is not big ( few alumni narrow network) and since there is 5 track few germans remained in Mannheim . The fees of these two schools are now equal for me since I have got scholarship from both

This is a nice problem to have, isn't it?
If you are looking outside German-speaking countries, I think Mannheim with its Global, European, German, Transatlantic and Eurasian tracks offers you more chances.

As for St. Gallen: As you can see in the placement report https://www.mba.unisg.ch/career-services/recruiters.php only 8% of St. Gallen's graduates were working in Europe outside Switzerland and 13% in Asia. But, probably it was one of the reasons why they chose St.Gallen;) Another very nice feature I've heard of and liked a lot (however could not find it at their site right now) is the possibility to take for free one of St. Gallen's courses every year - very positive for your knowledge and your network. But their class size indeed is very small (40?), so the alumni network of the MBA program will not be big, but the whole St. Gallen's alumni network must be very powerful - especially in German-speaking countries. And as for banking - well, the list of St.Gallen's employees has many other companies https://www.mba.unisg.ch/career-services/recruiters.php and 65% of graduates (s. the placement report) are working in other areas.

It seems that we do not really have St. Gallen MBA alumni here in Gmatclub: Have you tried reaching out to alumni via the admission officers? They usually give you contacts very fast, if you describe what you are interested in.

P.S. perfectstranger1 and perfectstranger are different people, aren't you? Or am I writing all this for somebody who has already selected a third school and not the two we discuss here;)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whathowhatho wrote:
perfectstranger1 wrote:

This is a nice problem to have, isn't it?
If you are looking outside German-speaking countries, I think Mannheim with its Global, European, German, Transatlantic and Eurasian tracks offers you more chances.

As for St. Gallen: As you can see in the placement report https://www.mba.unisg.ch/career-services/recruiters.php only 8% of St. Gallen's graduates were working in Europe outside Switzerland and 13% in Asia. But, probably it was one of the reasons why they chose St.Gallen;) Another very nice feature I've heard of and liked a lot (however could not find it at their site right now) is the possibility to take for free one of St. Gallen's courses every year - very positive for your knowledge and your network. But their class size indeed is very small (40?), so the alumni network of the MBA program will not be big, but the whole St. Gallen's alumni network must be very powerful - especially in German-speaking countries. And as for banking - well, the list of St.Gallen's employees has many other companies https://www.mba.unisg.ch/career-services/recruiters.php and 65% of graduates (s. the placement report) are working in other areas.

It seems that we do not really have St. Gallen MBA alumni here in Gmatclub: Have you tried reaching out to alumni via the admission officers? They usually give you contacts very fast, if you describe what you are interested in.

P.S. perfectstranger1 and perfectstranger are different people, aren't you? Or am I writing all this for somebody who has already selected a third school and not the two we discuss here;)?

Hi again. So you favor St Gallen over Mannheim. Is that right? I see the job opportunities in Switzerland somewhat limited( It may be rich (GDP per capita) but it has small economy when compared to Germany. But the reputation of the school in German speaking area and in the Europe ? I have no idea which one is reputable than the other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
perfectstranger wrote:
Hi again. So you favor St Gallen over Mannheim. Is that right? I see the job opportunities in Switzerland somewhat limited( It may be rich (GDP per capita) but it has small economy when compared to Germany. But the reputation of the school in German speaking area and in the Europe ? I have no idea which one is reputable than the other.

:) Well, the questions are:
1) Do you want to work in Germany after your studies?
If yes - you can choose any of the schools. However, in my perception St.Gallen's brand has more exclusivity on the German market.
2) Do you want to work in non-German-speaking countries in Europe or world-wide?
If yes, choose Mannheim with the appropriate track

As for me:
I have met St.Gallen's alumni - and found them genuinely nice people (some of them working in Germany and in industry, and they also told couple of examples mentioning St. Gallen's name in some negotiations helped them - since their counterparts were also St.Gallen's graduates). I also did more research about St. Gallen and have never considered Mannheim as an option for me. But after some research to answer your questions I find Mannheim program (especially this superb exchange possibility - NYU Stern for example!!!) very interesting.

Do you have the possibility to visit campuses and select the environment that you like?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whathowhatho wrote:
perfectstranger wrote:

:) Well, the questions are:
1) Do you want to work in Germany after your studies?
If yes - you can choose any of the schools. However, in my perception St.Gallen's brand has more exclusivity on the German market.
2) Do you want to work in non-German-speaking countries in Europe or world-wide?
If yes, choose Mannheim with the appropriate track

As for me:
I have met St.Gallen's alumni - and found them genuinely nice people (some of them working in Germany and in industry, and they also told couple of examples mentioning St. Gallen's name in some negotiations helped them - since their counterparts were also St.Gallen's graduates). I also did more research about St. Gallen and have never considered Mannheim as an option for me. But after some research to answer your questions I find Mannheim program (especially this superb exchange possibility - NYU Stern for example!!!) very interesting.

Do you have the possibility to visit campuses and select the environment that you like?

I am looking to improve my German therefore if I continue with Mannheim, I will stay at Germany. I will also go the related place 1,5 month ago for full German course.

I have no possibility to visit campuses. I went to Germany and Austria before. But I have never been in Switzerland. I liked Germany but I did not like Austria.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts