Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:48 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Your Career After an MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Your Career After an MBA

Much of the conversation regarding the MBA centers around its value for career-switchers. Yet, the fact that many applicants pursue the degree to advance within their current field often gets overlooked. Your career after an MBA can really take off as you grow within your industry. Let’s explore why that’s true.

Q: If your reason for applying to business school is to move up within your profession rather than switch occupations, how can an MBA help you achieve that goal?
The MBA degree offers better professional opportunities, even within the same industry or employer. Often, MBA graduates secure a more rigorous role and title and a higher salary after business school.

Examples could include moving from a middle-office position pre-MBA (from corporate finance, treasury, or risk) to a strategy position post-MBA. The professional role, job title, responsibilities, and impact all improve significantly once the person holds an MBA degree.

In addition, the MBA is often a requirement for consideration for higher-level employment positions within top employers. We often see clients move to “front of the house” roles after their MBA education from a “back or middle of the house” position pre-MBA. Type of career path, pace of promotions, and visibility by senior management all improve for professionals with a top-ranked MBA.

There will inevitably be multiple students from any given industry within the MBA program. Therefore, networking among like-minded, high-performing peers is another benefit for students looking to move up within their profession. Additionally, students benefit from learning from professors whose cutting-edge research and subject matter expertise synergize with the student’s career path.

A recent SBC client got into Stanford’s MBA program and had these thoughts about the value of the MBA.

“I think I am just most drawn to the personal development I’ll get out of the degree. As with many type-A students and high-achievers, we never stop to evaluate the reason why we work so hard. The MBA program will be a great time to reflect on my sense of purpose and motivation for why I do things. Hopefully, that will also help me refine longer-term career goals.”

Career After an MBA
 Q: What aspects of an MBA are most valuable to career enhancers?
We interviewed several corporate recruiters in recent months to answer this question. The resounding feedback we received was that top employers rely on MBA holders for their analytical, evidence-based training. Also, recruiters appreciated the MBA grad’s ability to make informed business decisions amid uncertainty using proven tools, frameworks, and models.

Uncertainty and change were the prevailing business realities throughout the pandemic months.  For that reason, top employers will seek MBA grads to create sound predictions and recommendations within this new normal ahead. The analytical, adaptable, and innovative mindset are the benefits of the MBA education for all its students.

Q: What should someone look for in a b-school if their goal is to get promoted at their current company or secure a higher-level job with a similar firm?
Not all business schools afford the same value for every student. Similarly, what an applicant should prioritize in a b-school varies. Applicants should decide what areas in their professional or academic background they hope to enhance through their business school experience.

Next, they need to research and determine which programs will deliver optimally for their long-term needs and aspirations. For example, an applicant who comes from a purely liberal arts academic foundation and wants to move into a finance position within his or her employer would prioritize an MBA program strong in finance.

On the other hand, an applicant who wants to transfer to an international office within their company may want to get an MBA abroad to build a global network.

Our advice: Think carefully about where you plan to be long-term. Consider each program’s reputation and network, both now and where you believe it will be in 10 or 20 years.

Q: What advice would you give to prospective MBA students hoping to use business school to rise within their field? 
Find mentors within your career path and set goals around your career trajectory based on informational meetings, networking, and constant diligence and evaluation.

Second, stay at the forefront of industry developments. That way, you can continually assess the value of an MBA degree to fuel your short and long-term professional aspirations.  “With our clients, we really dig into actual career goals in deciding which MBA program applications are worth pursuing,” shares Caryn Altman, a Senior Consultant on the SBC team.

“We do an in-depth discussion of post-b-school location preference, as that can be a huge factor. We counsel our clients to network with those who have an MBA in the chosen field. That way, they can frame not only short-term career placement but also longer-term career trajectory and the importance of a particular MBA program in their successes. Also, we encourage clients to engage with current MBA students to define the MBA’s value for their needs further.”

My Career after an MBA
Former SBC consultant Sara Cherlin Diniz, a mid-career professional who holds an MBA degree from HBS, had this to say about the value of her MBA.

The brand name credentialing, the life-long career support resources, and the extensive alumni network were instrumental in enabling me…along my career trajectory.

“I am certain that the course of my professional advancement would have been different without these priceless benefits,” Diniz says.

The post Your Career After an MBA appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2021-2022

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business has confirmed the Ross MBA essays for the 2021-2022 application cycle. The admissions team has decided to keep the same short-answer questions and Career Goal essay from last season.

As Admissions Director Soojin Kwon explained today on her blog, “We felt really good about the quality of this year’s candidates and the prospective students’ feedback about our application, so I encouraged the team not to tinker too much with what is working.”

Michigan Ross MBA Essays
Part 1: Short-answer questions
Select one prompt from each group of the two groups below. Respond to each selected prompt in 100 words or less (<100 words each; 200 words total). Every word counts here — the tight word count is intentional to force you to focus.

Group 1

I want people to know that I:

I made a difference when I:

I was aware that I was different when:

Group 2

I am out of my comfort zone when:

I was humbled when:

I was challenged when:

Part 2: Career Goal Essay
What is your short-term career goal and why? (200 words)

What You Need to Know, Straight from Ross Admissions
As Director Kwon shared on her blog last year when these updated essays came out, authenticity should guide your responses.  “The most interesting and insightful responses to these prompts remain when applicants share personal examples that allow us to learn more about who you are as a person, and what unique experiences and insights you would bring to the MBA class,” Kwon explained.

Additionally, the admissions director described the thinking behind reducing the word count for the career goal essay by a third. “We found that the best responses to this essay were clear and succinct. The ones that were less successful tended to be less focused or focused too much on the ‘what’ and not enough on the ‘why’,” she revealed.

The admissions committee cares exponentially more about the why behind your actions. Because, as Kwon acknowledged, “The  ‘why’ is the most impactful and differentiating aspect of each essay to me.”

The new application will go live in July.  For more information on applying, please visit the Michigan Ross admissions site.  If you need guidance on your Ross MBA essays or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Michigan Ross MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022

Are you interested in the University of Michigan Ross School of Business? Then get ready, because the Michigan Ross MBA deadlines for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle have been confirmed. Today on her blog, Admissions Director Soojin Kwon announced that the school will return to three application rounds for the upcoming season, after offering a fourth round last year.

“We’ve found this year that a June decision timeframe causes more stress for our international applicants given visa processing timelines and want to be as equitable as possible going forward,” she explained.

Michigan Ross MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022
Round 1
Application due: September 20, 2021

Decision released: December 8, 2021

Round 2
Application due: January 10, 2022

Decision released: March 18, 2022

Round 3
Application due: April 4, 2022

Decision released: May 11, 2022

International students may apply in any round, but the Ross School encourages these applicants to apply in Round 1 or 2 to allow sufficient time for visa processing.

The new application will go live in July.  For more information, please visit Michigan Ross full-time MBA admissions. If you need guidance on your Ross MBA application or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Michigan Ross MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2021-2022

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business is a top-ranked MBA program that provides real-world opportunities for students. Ross is about learning both inside and outside the classroom. The Ross MBA program is a close-knit community, and your application should demonstrate you fit in. Review our Ross MBA essay tips and show the admissions committee you are intellectually curious and able to accomplish your goals.

Visiting Ross or learning about the program through current students, alumni or faculty would be helpful before starting this set of essays. However, because of challenges due to COVID-19, online research may have to do for now.

With that in mind, check out Admissions Director Soojin Kwon’s excellent tips from a previous blog post on the Michigan admissions website. Once again, Ross will accept the MCAT and LSAT, along with the GRE and GMAT, to make testing easier for COVID-impacted applicants.

PART 1: SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS

Select one prompt from each group. Respond to your selected prompts using 100 words or fewer (<100 words each; 200 words total).
Group 1

• I want people to know that I:

• I made a difference when I:

• I was aware that I was different when:

Group 2

• I am out of my comfort zone when:

• I was humbled when:

• I was challenged when:
Take note that these short answers are about getting to know you personally, not your collection of accomplishments. Ross values community engagement, interpersonal communication, and teamwork skills. The admissions committee says clearly: “The most interesting and insightful responses to these prompts remain when applicants share personal examples.”

When you think about your short answers, you may want to write about an important extracurricular moment, a challenge you overcame, or a life event that highlights something unique about your background. The questions are short and purposeful. The experiences you describe should be clear and stand alone.

Looking at each group in turn, Group 1 might be an opportunity to talk about your values and background. It reads as a place to highlight what drives and motivates you on a deeper level than your career.

The first open-ended prompt allows you to talk about something you feel proud of—a personal quality or experience. For the next prompt, you could describe when you made a difference to an organization or person, or advanced an important cause.

Finally, the last prompt is about how you are unique. Consider what sets you apart from others and what unique qualities you will bring to Ross.

Group 2 is more about your reaction to events in your life and your character. In addition, it could be an essay to describe your accomplishments. How do you interpret what happens to you and how do you handle adversity and discomfort? Perhaps you have had unique experiences in life thus far.

For example, living outside your home country, working with diverse groups, or overcoming a challenge at work or in your personal life. In essence, this is an opportunity to shine with your best stories of work, school, and relationships.

PART 2: ESSAY

Michigan Ross is a place where people from all backgrounds with different career goals can thrive. What is your short-term career goal and why? (200 words)
Ross further shortened and streamlined this career goals essay as compared to last year. Admissions Director Kwon said Michigan Ross is looking for straightforward responses to this essay question. Therefore, to answer this essay directly, you should state your career goal in a sentence or two. Then, use the remainder of the space to elaborate.

Make sure to answer “why” you chose your short-term career goal in this Ross MBA essay. As you describe your goal make sure you explain what has led you to pursue it. Also, share why it resonates with you. The answer doesn’t need to be elaborate or dramatic, but it should be convincing and authentic.

Note that the question highlights “all backgrounds and different career goals” that thrive at Ross. If you have a unique background or goal, it can be an asset to show how you will contribute to this environment where everyone thrives.

Kwon advised last year that the admissions committee does not expect you to have all the experience needed for your career goals right now. However, “We want to know that you understand the skills that are important for your desired career. Recruiters assess whether you’re able to bring relevant skills/strengths to the table, so we do the same. Some of the skills and knowledge you’ll need will be developed during your time in the MBA program, but students are more successful in their career search if they understand the skills required to succeed in their chosen field.”

OPTIONAL STATEMENT

Optional statement: Is there something in your resume or application that could use some explanation? You might want to discuss the completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.
Take it directly from the Ross admissions director: “The optional essay should only be used if there’s something in your background that requires a brief explanation. It’s not the place to submit an essay you wrote for another school, or to tell us how much you love Ross.”

Think about anything that may raise questions while reviewing a resume, transcript, or recommendations. Typically the kinds of gaps that raise questions are significant gaps in employment (more than a few months), anything below a C on your college transcript (particularly in quantitative coursework), and low test scores.

Stacy Blackman Consulting has worked with successful candidates to Michigan Ross for over a decade and can offer comprehensive strategic advice every step of the way. So now that you’ve reviewed our Ross MBA essay tips, contact us to learn more.

The post Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Wharton Application Deadlines for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Wharton Application Deadlines for 2021-2022

Is the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School on your shortlist of target b-schools? Then mark your calendar, because here are the Wharton application deadlines for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle!

Wharton Application Deadlines
Round 1
Application due: September 8, 2021

Decision released: December 15, 2021

Round 2
Application due: January 5, 2022

Decision released: March 23, 2022

Round 3
Application due: March 3, 2022

Decision released: May 10, 2022

Deferred Admissions Round
Application due: April  27, 2022

Decision released: June 28, 2022

Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the day of the deadline.

Applications submitted after the deadline for Round 1 or 2 will get rolled into the next round. Wharton will not accept applications submitted after the Round 3 deadline.

Ultimately, by applying earlier in a round, you will have more time to schedule an interview. For this reason, Wharton recommends submitting your application as soon as possible.  Notably, some joint degree programs require you to apply during Round 1 or 2.

For more information on applying, please visit the Wharton School admissions site.  Meanwhile, if you need guidance on your Wharton MBA application, or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Wharton Application Deadlines for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
B-Schooled Podcast Episode 58: How is This MBA Application Year Shapin [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: B-Schooled Podcast Episode 58: How is This MBA Application Year Shaping Up?

In December, The Wall Street Journal sent MBA hopefuls into a stress spiral with its article about skyrocketing application numbers, entitled MBA Applicants, Brace for ‘Most Competitive Year Ever.’ But now that COVID is coming under control in the United States thanks to more than 50% of adults being vaccinated, does that mean fewer people will apply? And therefore, will it be easier to get into business school this year?

This episode covers the trends our team at Stacy Blackman Consulting has seen so far now that Round 1 is kicking off and the 2021-22 application cycle is heating up.

You can listen to B-Schooled episode #58 here, or on any of the podcast apps listed below.

B-Schooled is available on most major podcast apps, including:

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

Stitcher

TuneIn

Please be sure to subscribe to B-Schooled so that you don’t miss a thing. Also, if there’s something you’d like for us to cover in a future episode, please email podcast@stacyblackman.com. We’d love to hear from you!

The post B-Schooled Podcast Episode 58: How is This MBA Application Year Shaping Up? appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
9 Tips for LGBTQ+ MBA Applicants Applying to Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 9 Tips for LGBTQ+ MBA Applicants Applying to Business School

We’re on a mission to help all of the MBA applicants we work with shine their brightest when applying to business school. Bonus points if you’re able to enjoy the application process along the way! A group of LGBTQ+ MBA consultants from the SBC team got together to share stories from our own experiences applying to b-school.

We also swapped the lessons we’ve learned from working with clients over the years. Especially after the past year’s events, we believe that being bold and authentic is now more critical than ever. Here are nine tips for LGBTQ+ MBA applicants to consider when thinking about business school.

Advice for LGBTQ+ MBA Applicants When Applying
1. Connect with the LGBTQ+ student organizations at the schools you’re considering.
Speaking to LGBTQ+ MBA students at various schools is one of the best ways to learn about the program and the experience of LGBTQ+ students studying there. In addition, most MBA programs include information about the school’s LGBTQ+ student organizations on the school’s website. But if you can’t find this information, contact the admissions office.

We specifically suggest reaching out to one of the student co-presidents of a given school’s LGBTQ+ student organization. In our experience, we have found that these club leaders will almost always write back to potential students.

This will give you a chance to gain current students’ perspectives, learn about how students have been learning—and socializing—during the pandemic, and possibly connect with others in the admissions office working with LGBTQ+ MBA applicants. In addition, if there are events or information sessions specifically for LGBTQ+ applicants, you’ll want to be sure to attend these as well.

(Wharton School has the largest LGBTQ MBA club in the U.S. In 2020, the school launched Prism, a full-ride LGBTQ MBA Fellowship.)
2. Don’t be afraid to reach out to alums or individuals working in fields that interest you.
The LGBTQ+ world may be small, but it is also mighty. So, don’t be afraid to reach out to others in the LGBTQ+ community via LinkedIn and other professional platforms. Of course, working through a friend of a friend is always great—but also try to “cold outreach” to other members of the community who graduated from schools you are interested in or who work in industries about which you are passionate.

Of course, this cold outreach doesn’t always work. Yet we’ve found LGBTQ+ applicants reaching out to others in the community seem to get an answer more often than not. A reminder: always put your best foot forward.

Whenever you reach out to anyone in connection to your business school journey, ALWAYS be courteous in your approach, proofread your writing, and be sure to thank anyone who offers you feedback or guidance.

3. When writing your essays, share your story thoughtfully.
For many, coming out is a deeply personal experience that requires a tremendous amount of self-examination and introspection. Thus, an essay that touches on this profoundly revealing vulnerability and self-awareness can be remarkable.

Many of the most compelling essays we’ve read, for example, don’t actually “center” on a coming-out story. Instead, they used this experience as a jumping-off point to explore topics that are deeply meaningful to the applicant.

Remember that admissions officers want to understand many different aspects of you as an applicant. We suggest that you present this element of your identity as an important facet—but not the totality—of who you are.

4. Don’t be afraid to be different. In fact, standing out can be a very good thing.
We see many LGBTQ+ MBA applicants who have been in the closet in college or professionally to conform to what society has told them a business person is “supposed” to be.

With all of our clients (not only members of the LGBTQ+ community), we encourage people to be themselves authentically. Embrace your individuality, your quirkiness, and your queerness, along with all the other things that make you unique.

5. Check out the Reaching Out MBA Conference.
The Reaching Out MBA Conference (ROMBA) is the world’s largest gathering of LGBT+ business students and alumni. This event educates, inspires, and connects our community through C-suite panels, workshops, competitions, a host of receptions, and a career fair with 100 corporate partners across industries recruiting LGBTQ+ MBA talent.

The next ROMBA conference will take place October 7-9, 2021 in Austin, Texas.  Check the ROMBA website for more details in early June.

After you’ve been accepted:
6. Check out the Point Foundation (and other scholarship groups).
The Point Foundation (Point) is the nation’s largest scholarship-granting organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) students of merit. Point promotes change through scholarship funding, mentorship, leadership development, and community service training. To apply, applicants must be planning to attend a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate/ doctoral program. More information is available via the link above.

7. Consider your multiple identities when choosing the program that is right for you.
Several members of our team brought up the complexities of navigating the application process when one has multiple identities: for example, being trans or non-binary, being femme, being from a low-income background, or being non-white.

Each of these identity layers can add another degree of nuance when choosing the MBA program that feels right for you. This, of course, means different things for different people. For you, this might mean selecting an MBA program that has:

• specific Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) policies in place (not just lip-service)
  • faculty class rolls that include preferred names/pronouns
  • taken steps to make sure non-white and international students don’t feel isolated and that staff reach out proactively to check in instead of waiting for students to come to them
  • a no-tolerance policy for derogatory language/behaviors so that individuals feel safe and know they can come forward
  • a robust “ally culture” that supports LGBTQ+ and other underrepresented students
  • resources for pregnant/nursing mothers
On the other hand, we also realize that a) the list above is by no means comprehensive and that b) no single program is getting this 100% right. Therefore, we encourage applicants to evaluate these and other factors in light of their decision criteria to find the best fit. And then, once you select the program that is right for you and enroll, work hard to make it even better for those who will follow you.

8. When you do get to business school, speak up and pay it forward.
For every out person on a business school campus, there are often several other LGBTQ+ MBA students—especially those with multiple identities—who might not feel comfortable being out on campus yet.

Many of us remember times in our own business school experiences when speaking up or speaking out prompted others who weren’t out yet to approach us privately to thank us for making our voices heard. There is also a multiplier effect: once one person raises a hand to make a statement or acknowledge their identity, others gradually feel more comfortable doing the same.

9. Finally, enjoy yourself and make friends.
Invite that stranger to coffee. Have the tough conversation. Encourage the LGBTQ+ student organization to co-host a happy hour with a conservative group on campus. Business school can—and should—be a LOT of fun. It is also a powerful opportunity for you to influence the hearts and minds of classmates who will one day run corporations, organizations, and governments around the world.

The post 9 Tips for LGBTQ+ MBA Applicants Applying to Business School appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Work-Life Balance is a Myth [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Work-Life Balance is a Myth

“FRESH IDEAS FROM THE BLACKLIGHT”
SBC’s Weekly Newsletter for Professionals
Achieving work-life balance is still #goals for many people in 2021. Yet we continue to struggle to keep those multiple plates in the air spinning. So, what’s the secret that has thus far eluded us all? Leadership expert and author Ashley Goodall thinks we need to start by getting rid of the expression work-life balance in the first place. “Work is not the opposite of life. It’s a part of it,” he says in this piece on leadership for Columbia Business School.

“There’s an oversimplified idea out there that life contains all the good stuff and work contains all the bad stuff. But our experience isn’t anything like that. At work and in life, there are wonderful, uplifting moments and moments that drag us down.”

He suggests we strive to achieve a “love-loathe imbalance” instead. To do so, Goodall says we need “to treat work the same way we do life: by maximizing what we love.”

Most of us have under-used our ability to shape our job into something that better fits our strengths, research shows. To make a clear-eyed assessment, Goodall recommends taking a week to write down specific things we love or loathe at work as they happen.

“Then, each following week, ask yourself how you can spend more time doing the activities you love and minimize the activities you loathe,” he suggests. “Focus on designing your life so that you’re spending at least 20 percent of your time—one full day a week in total— on the things you love the most, whether at work or outside it.”

It’s unlikely you can cut out everything on your loathsome list. But you can work toward spending more of your time on the things that energize and absorb your interest.

Is this the magic formula for work-life balance?
Some of us need concrete advice that goes beyond productivity hacks and mindfulness mantras. That’s where Tommy Mello’s article for Inc. comes in. Citing a Europe-wide study on work-life balance from the University of Kent, Mello says becoming a “top performer” is the single surest way to achieve this elusive goal.

“Top performers are far more likely to get control over their own work schedules,” Mello notes. “Over time, you build a great work reputation, which gives you leverage to have the optimal work-life balance. And with work-life balance, you are naturally going to be more relaxed, productive, and successful.”

As the owner of a company with more than 200 employees, Mello has observed a few key characteristics he sees in top performers. First, they are competitive but nice. Second, they have deep expertise in one or two areas, making them irreplaceable. Third, he says, “they can sell a bagel to a Parisian.”

“Selling…is a skill that everyone should master,” Mello stresses. “The better you are at selling, the more you’ll be able to bend life to your will.”

Now that you have the formula, it’s on you to put in the work. Nobody becomes a top performer overnight. The road to superstardom may take months or even years of sweat and tears, he warns. But the freedom you’ll reap will be worth every drop.

Huzzah! You made it to the end of the post! This examination of work-life balance originally appeared on the Blacklight, our weekly newsletter for professionals. At the Blacklight, we aim to illuminate with every dispatch that lands in your inbox. If you’re thirsty for guidance to help you slay it at work or as a student and move your goalposts closer, sign up today!

The post Work-Life Balance is a Myth appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
UCLA MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UCLA MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022

Are you interested in earning an MBA at UCLA’s Anderson School of Management? Then get out your calendar, because the UCLA MBA deadlines for the 2021-2022 admissions season have been announced!

UCLA MBA Deadlines
Round 1
Application due: October 5, 2021

Decision released: December 14, 2021

Round 2
Application due: January 4, 2022

Decision released: March 22, 2022

Round 3
Application due: April 12, 2022

Decision released: May 17, 2022

The 2021-2022 application goes live on August 1. For more information on applying, please visit the UCLA Anderson MBA admissions website. If you need guidance on your UCLA MBA application or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post UCLA MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
UCLA MBA Application Essays for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UCLA MBA Application Essays for 2021-2022

If the UCLA Anderson School of Management is on your shortlist of target MBA programs, the wait to apply is almost over. The application goes live on August 1st, but you can check out the UCLA MBA application essays for the 2021-2022 season right now.

For this year, Anderson has one essay question that is required for first-time applicants and optional for re-applicants:

UCLA MBA Application Essays
Required Essay: How have recent events influenced the impact you would like to make in your community, career, or both? (250 words maximum)

We welcome reflection on any events that influenced you in your personal or professional lives, or in society in general, and look forward to learning about specific ways you want to leave your mark.

Optional Essay: No preference is given in the evaluation process to those who choose to respond to this optional essay, so please use your best judgment.

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions committee should be aware? (250 words maximum)

Reapplicants
Reapplicants are those who applied to the MBA program within the last two application years, so those who applied three or more years ago are considered new applicants.

Reapplicants may answer one or both of the essay questions above as options, and they must provide additional updates within text boxes given in the application for any new test scores, career developments, or other changes since their last application.

For more information on applying, please visit the UCLA Anderson MBA admissions website. If you need guidance on your UCLA MBA application, or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post UCLA MBA Application Essays for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
London Business School Essays for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: London Business School Essays for 2021-2022

Get ready to start your brainstorming, because the London Business School essays for the 2021-2022 season have been confirmed!

Required Essay
What are your post-MBA goals and how will your prior experience and the London Business School programme contribute towards these? (500 words)

Optional Essay
Is there any other information you believe the Admissions Committee should know about you and your application to London Business School? (500 words)

The 2021-2022 application will open in August. For more information on applying, please visit the London Business School MBA admissions website. If you need guidance on your London Business School essays or your LBS MBA application, or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post London Business School Essays for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: London Business School Essays, Tips for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: London Business School Essays, Tips for 2021-2022

London Business School values independence and original thought. Other values on display through these London Business School essays are an international approach to business and culture.

The London Business School essays for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle include one required and one optional question. Showcasing all of your career accomplishments, extracurriculars, and personal attributes will be a challenge.

Therefore, you will likely need to maximize other parts of the application, like your resume and recommendations. Talk to your recommenders about the experiences in your background you might want to highlight through their letters. Also, use your resume to describe critical moments at work.

Start your research brainstorm by learning all you can about the culture at London Business School. This will help you answer these London Business School essays. Knowing the culture can help you prepare the rest of your application for admission.

One of the best ways to get to know LBS is to visit the campus and interact with a London Business School Student Ambassador. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has complicated in-person visits at the moment. In the meantime, take advantage of the school’s twice-weekly virtual information sessions. Once you have a good sense of the school and how you will take advantage of the opportunity to attend LBS, you will be better prepared to approach the essay questions.

Do the London Business School essays challenge you? Contact us to learn how Stacy Blackman Consulting can help. To learn more about LBS, visit the program website.

London Business School Essays
Required Essay

What are your post-MBA goals and how will your prior experience and the London Business School programme contribute towards these? (500 words)
Self-awareness about your strengths and interests will help you refine what you truly want in your career for this London Business School essay. It could be helpful to talk to colleagues and alumni who have MBAs in your field to identify various career paths. Make sure that your career goals are both realistic and aspirational. Think about the short-term roles post-MBA that may lead to your most ambitious longer-term goals.

Your past experiences have likely informed your post-MBA plans. Touching on those most relevant will help you set the background for your current pursuit of an MBA. Don’t make this essay a mere rehash of your resume. Think about explaining the rationale for your decisions throughout the essay. Why did you pursue your past experience, and what has been the impetus behind subsequent career choices? At this point, why are you choosing LBS?

As you speak with current LBS students and attend virtual events, learn as much as you can about the programs, professors, and classes that may help you achieve your goals. Plus, consider what you will learn at LBS and in your time in London. What new skills and courses will lead to the achievement of your career goals? Also, the network you create during your MBA will open doors for you, and preparing for this essay can help you to make the most of the experience.

Optional Essay

Is there any other information you believe the Admissions Committee should know about you and your application to London Business School? (500 words)
In describing the LBS vision, continued business impact, the school represents the culture this way: “We challenge how things are done and we teach our students to constantly question and innovate. We believe in providing our students with the most diverse, world-class, and rewarding business education in the world.”

This open-ended question is an excellent opportunity to touch on a personal story and add color to your story to demonstrate how you will be part of this culture. This could be the ideal place to describe a unique background, experience, or attribute that did not fit elsewhere in the application.

Diversity can mean many things. For example, it can be where you are from, the culture you identify with, or your approach to life. If diversity of experience or attitude doesn’t resonate for you, have you been challenged and innovated? When have you taken a new view or challenged conventional wisdom? A global perspective is invaluable, as well. Think about stories that could illustrate how you have demonstrated any of these qualities that are valued by LBS.

The post Tuesday Tips: London Business School Essays, Tips for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: UCLA MBA Application Essays, Tips for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: UCLA MBA Application Essays, Tips for 2021-2022

UCLA Anderson School of Management has released the UCLA MBA application for the 2021-2022 cycle. Located in Los Angeles, UCLA has a vast alumni network focused on the entire southern California region. California has a diverse economy across industries like real estate, health care, and technology. And, of course, media and entertainment.

Anderson’s MBA class is small and close-knit. Accordingly, your personality should shine in your UCLA MBA application. Review Anderson’s values before starting this set of essays. Remember, character matters to UCLA: Share Success, Think Fearlessly, Drive Change.

We have helped countless applicants achieve their MBA dreams. Contact us to learn how Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with your UCLA MBA application. To learn more about the UCLA MBA program, visit the school website.

UCLA MBA Application Essays for 2021-2022
Required Essay (same for both new applicants and reapplicants): How have recent events influenced the impact you would like to make in your community, career, or both? (250 words maximum)
For the second year of the COVID-19 pandemic, Anderson asks for applicants to reflect on recent events. In the past, Anderson has asked about your career goals. Anderson’s admissions committee said: “We welcome reflection on any events that influenced you in your personal or professional lives, or in society in general, and look forward to learning about specific ways you want to leave your mark.”

The past several years have seen vast changes in society. For example, invigorated social movements and more diversity, equity, and inclusion activity within corporations. Also, a global health crisis. Any single one or more of those events likely have influenced your life goals.

In thinking about the mark you want to make, use the filter of Anderson’s values. The values are: Share Success, Think Fearlessly, Drive Change. How do you plan to use those values in your post-Anderson life? This UCLA MBA application essay covers both the professional and personal sides of your candidacy. Consider both your community and career. Also, Anderson is looking for students that are engaged, humble, and open.

As you structure this essay, think about telling one or two pivotal stories about you. Examples will bring your application alive. Remember, UCLA is looking to understand how you are different from other applicants. Also, Anderson wants to understand your values. Consider moments in the past year that have triggered reflection for you.

Some questions for brainstorming: Have you experienced a personal setback? What is your family background? Have you lived outside your home country? When did you face a turning point or make a big decision about your career? What were some of your proudest moments? When have you worked with a team? In the past year, have you been surprised, angry, or shocked by any world events?

Be both grounded and visionary when describing your desired impact on your community or career. For example, briefly explain what you plan to do immediately after graduation. Then, describe how you will make your mark over the long term. Your path should be a logical extension of your past experiences and your experiences at UCLA Anderson.

Optional Question (same for both new applicants and reapplicants): Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? (250 words maximum)
Optional essays are truly optional. There is no need to respond if you don’t have any special circumstances. For example, reasons to write this essay include gaps in work experience. Other topics may be poor grades or no recommendation from a current manager.

If you choose to write this essay for your UCLA MBA application, be clear and concise. First, explain the situation briefly. Then, tell what has changed and improved. Finally, focus on explanations rather than excuses.

The best UCLA MBA application essays will show you have moved on from your challenges. Therefore, improvements in your life make a great case for admission.

For Reapplicants
Reapplicants are those who applied to the MBA program within the last two application years, so those who applied three or more years ago are considered new applicants. Reapplicants may answer one or both of the essay questions above as options, and they must provide additional updates within text boxes given in the application for any new test scores, career developments, or other changes since their last application.
UCLA Anderson reapplicants may answer one or both of the essay questions. However, reapplicants are required to provide updates. Also, these updates can be enhancements to your application. Therefore, keep in mind what may have changed for you since your last application.

Consider how you want to communicate it to Anderson. These essays are an ideal way to describe a change in your goals and mindset. On the other hand, if your changes are more quantitative, the application will be sufficient.

The post Tuesday Tips: UCLA MBA Application Essays, Tips for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Columbia MBA Essays for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia MBA Essays for 2021-2022

The Columbia MBA essays for the 2021-2022 admissions season are now available. Applicants to Columbia Business School must complete one short answer question and three essays. During this admissions cycle, CBS has introduced a new essay option on ethical and inclusive leadership.

Short Answer Question
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (maximum 50 characters)

Examples of possible responses:

• “Work in business development for a media company.”
  • “Join a strategy consulting firm.”
  • “Launch a data management start-up.”
Essay 1
Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3-5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

Essays 2 and 3
Please respond to two (2) of the three (3) essay questions listed below:

• The Phillips Pathway for Inclusive Leadership (PPIL) is a new co-curricular program designed to ensure that every CBS student develops the skills to become an ethical and inclusive leader. Through PPIL, students attend programming focused on give essential diversity, equity, and inclusion skills: Creating an Inclusive Environment, Mitigating Bias, Communicating Across Identities, Addressing Systemic Inequity, and Managing Difficult Conversations. Tell us about a time you were challenged around one of these five skills.  Describe the situation, the actions you took, and the outcome. (250 words)
    • Why do you feel Columbia Business School is a good fit for you? (250 words)
    • Tell us about your favorite book, movie, or song and why it resonates with you. (250 words)

Optional Essay
Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. This does not need to be a formal essay. You may submit bullet points. (maximum 500 words)

For more information on applying, please visit the Columbia Business School admissions website. If you need guidance on your Columbia MBA essays or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Columbia MBA Essays for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Columbia MBA Deadline Update for 2021-2022 Season [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia MBA Deadline Update for 2021-2022 Season

Have you been waiting for Columbia MBA deadline news to come out? The wait is over! The Columbia Business School application for the 2021-2022 admission season will open soon, but you can get a head start on the essays now as well.

August Entry
Early Decision: October 6, 2021

Merit-based fellowship deadline: January 5, 2022

Final regular decision deadline: April 8, 2022

Deferred enrollment deadline: April 15, 2022

January Entry
Regular Decision: October 6, 2021

Because Columbia Business School uses a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.

For more information on applying, please visit the Columbia Business School admissions website. If you need guidance on your CBS application or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Columbia MBA Deadline Update for 2021-2022 Season appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
B-Schooled Podcast Episode #59: Things to Do Now That Round 1 Is Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: B-Schooled Podcast Episode #59: Things to Do Now That Round 1 Is Here

The 2021-2022 MBA application season is officially upon us, with several top business schools having already posted their deadlines, as well as a few programs confirming what their essays will be this year.

Now that Round 1 is underway, what should you be doing? How exactly should you begin working on your MBA materials? This episode outlines some of the to-do’s it makes sense to tackle sooner rather than later.

Listen to B-Schooled episode #59 here, or on any of the podcast apps listed below.

B-Schooled is available on most major podcast apps, including:

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

Stitcher

TuneIn

Please be sure to subscribe to B-Schooled so that you don’t miss a thing. Also, if there’s something you’d like for us to cover in a future episode, please email podcast@stacyblackman.com. We’d love to hear from you!

The post B-Schooled Podcast Episode #59: Things to Do Now That Round 1 Is Here appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Duke MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Duke MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022

Are you targeting Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business in the upcoming admissions cycle? Get ready to mark your calendar because here are the Duke MBA deadlines for the 2021-22 application season.

Duke MBA deadlines
Early Action:
Application due: September 2, 2021

Decision released: October 14, 2021

Round 1
Application due: October 11, 2021

Decision released: December 15, 2021

Round 2
Application due: January 5, 2022

Decision released: March 16, 2022

Round 3
Application due: March 24, 2022

Decision released: April 29, 2022

A note to applicants about the Duke MBA deadlines:
The Early Action option is ideal for applicants who have completed their MBA research and have decided that this is the best program for them.

If you need merit-based scholarship assistance, you may apply during Early Action, Round 1, Round 2, or Round 3.

International Applicants: you must apply during Early Action, Round 1, or Round 2 for visa processing.

Re-applicants: reapply during Early Action or Round 1.

The application for the class beginning in 2022 will become available in July.

Please visit the Duke Fuqua admissions website for more information on applying. Also, if you need guidance on your Fuqua MBA application or wish to discuss your business school plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Duke MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

GMAT Club Bot
Duke MBA Deadlines for 2021-2022 [#permalink]
   1  ...  100   101   102   103   104  ...  139