GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1173
Location: India
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 14:17
Top Contributor
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:34) correct 46% (05:15) wrong based on 263 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rockridge Mountain Park to exercise caution during the months of April and May. According to the report, the number of mountain lion sightings in the park reaches its peak in the months of April and May.

All of the following could account for the increased number of mountain lion sightings EXCEPT

A. During April and May, which feature the best hiking weather of the year, more people visit the park than during any other time of year.
B. Throughout the year, local newspapers report any mountain lion sightings, and most reports come during the months of April and May.
C. The red-tailed deer, the mountain lion’s primary food source, is most abundant during these months and tends to favor hiking trails.
D. In spring, the trail conditions are best for mountain bikers, who, because they make less noise than hikers, are more likely to startle mountain lions.
E. Creek beds high in the mountains tend to dry up in spring, so mountain lions often descend into the lower elevations, where hikers are more common.

_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4668
Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 17:55
2
Gnpth wrote:
State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rockridge Mountain Park to exercise caution during the months of April and May. According to the report, the number of mountain lion sightings in the park reaches its peak in the months of April and May.

All of the following could account for the increased number of mountain lion sightings EXCEPT

A. During April and May, which feature the best hiking weather of the year, more people visit the park than during any other time of year.
B. Throughout the year, local newspapers report any mountain lion sightings, and most reports come during the months of April and May.
C. The red-tailed deer, the mountain lion’s primary food source, is most abundant during these months and tends to favor hiking trails.
D. In spring, the trail conditions are best for mountain bikers, who, because they make less noise than hikers, are more likely to startle mountain lions.
E. Creek beds high in the mountains tend to dry up in spring, so mountain lions often descend into the lower elevations, where hikers are more common.

Dear Gnpth,

I'm happy to respond. :-) This question was written by my colleague & friend, Chris Lele.

We want something that would cause more mountain lion sightings. (A) & (C) & (D) & (E) all have in common that some real world action would result in more mountain lion sightings. (B) is the odd one out, the only one that clearly would be an effect of sightings rather than a cause.

(A) more visitors to the park ==> more sightings
(C) more deer near trail ==> more mountain lions near trail
(D) more mountain bikers ==> more sightings
(E) more mountain lions near trail ==> more sightings

Meanwhile, the newspaper simply reports sightings, so there are more reports in April & May because there are more sightings then. The increased number of newspaper reports are clearly an effect of the increased number of mountain lion sightings. They don't explain the increased number of mountain lion sightings, but rather, are explained by it.

OA = (B)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1896
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 01:10
Magoosh now has one great question. The point here is the question type does matter.
Boiled down to B and D.
D connects with the passage. "spring" in D vs "throughout the year" in B. "reports of local newspaper" vs "bikers"
"Startle" vs "comes in a certain month".

OA is B.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Apr 2018
Posts: 21
CAT Tests
Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 01:17
mikemcgarry wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rockridge Mountain Park to exercise caution during the months of April and May. According to the report, the number of mountain lion sightings in the park reaches its peak in the months of April and May.

All of the following could account for the increased number of mountain lion sightings EXCEPT

A. During April and May, which feature the best hiking weather of the year, more people visit the park than during any other time of year.
B. Throughout the year, local newspapers report any mountain lion sightings, and most reports come during the months of April and May.
C. The red-tailed deer, the mountain lion’s primary food source, is most abundant during these months and tends to favor hiking trails.
D. In spring, the trail conditions are best for mountain bikers, who, because they make less noise than hikers, are more likely to startle mountain lions.
E. Creek beds high in the mountains tend to dry up in spring, so mountain lions often descend into the lower elevations, where hikers are more common.

Dear Gnpth,

I'm happy to respond. :-) This question was written by my colleague & friend, Chris Lele.

We want something that would cause more mountain lion sightings. (A) & (C) & (D) & (E) all have in common that some real world action would result in more mountain lion sightings. (B) is the odd one out, the only one that clearly would be an effect of sightings rather than a cause.

(A) more visitors to the park ==> more sightings
(C) more deer near trail ==> more mountain lions near trail
(D) more mountain bikers ==> more sightings
(E) more mountain lions near trail ==> more sightings

Meanwhile, the newspaper simply reports sightings, so there are more reports in April & May because there are more sightings then. The increased number of newspaper reports are clearly an effect of the increased number of mountain lion sightings. They don't explain the increased number of mountain lion sightings, but rather, are explained by it.

OA = (B)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Hi Mike!

To begin with, am a huge fan of yours. I intend to send a personal mail to you regarding something specific very soon.

For this question though, I had the following line of though could the answer be option B because the question clearly states about sightings "in the park" and the newspapers' reports are not exactly "in the park" but rather a report done outside the said environment?

Cheers.
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2020
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 19:19
Gnpth wrote:
State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rockridge Mountain Park to exercise caution during the months of April and May. According to the report, the number of mountain lion sightings in the park reaches its peak in the months of April and May.

All of the following could account for the increased number of mountain lion sightings EXCEPT

A. During April and May, which feature the best hiking weather of the year, more people visit the park than during any other time of year.
B. Throughout the year, local newspapers report any mountain lion sightings, and most reports come during the months of April and May.
C. The red-tailed deer, the mountain lion’s primary food source, is most abundant during these months and tends to favor hiking trails.
D. In spring, the trail conditions are best for mountain bikers, who, because they make less noise than hikers, are more likely to startle mountain lions.
E. Creek beds high in the mountains tend to dry up in spring, so mountain lions often descend into the lower elevations, where hikers are more common.



Since the Spring season varies as per geography and can start on different dates in different regions, I feel that there might be some ambiguity here in options D and E.

mcelroytutoring , AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , daagh other experts-- please enlighten
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1474
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 08:29
Skywalker18 wrote:
Since the Spring season varies as per geography and can start on different dates in different regions, I feel that there might be some ambiguity here in options D and E.

mcelroytutoring , AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , daagh other experts-- please enlighten
I think that's a fair point. The GMAC has been very careful to stress over the last few years that they really want to ensure that things like this don't slip through the testing process.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Re: State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2018, 08:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

State park officials recently released a report urging hikers in Rock

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.