Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16612 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Stuck in 560-610 range [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

First of all, mock test scores ​tend to be ​3-5 points higher than actual GMAT​ depending on prep companies (but not all of them).
But, don't be discouraged!

Keep solving a number of mock test might not be that much helpful.
You have to build a solid foundation of basic math and gain math skills.
We would like to recommend for you to study Basic Math Review of Official Guide to have solid basic maths skills.​

If your current score is Q32 and V29, you can aim at hitting Q45 or above, which is achievable.
Please note that 90% of our students hit 49 or above.

When it comes to GMAT Math, time management is very crucial as you have to solve 37 questions in 75 minutes. With the conventional method by Official Guide,
​it is very probable that you cannot complete ​to solve the questions in 75 minutes​, especially if you are weak at math. ​ However, with our Variable approach for DS and IVY approach with PS, you can ​solve the questions in 75 minutes and ​have even 10 minutes to spare.

Based on your score, ​here are some tips for you.

​- Building foundation of math basics through Official Guide.​
- ​You​ ​may ​learn Variable Approach of DS, which enables you to solve DS questions with quickness and accuracy.​ DS is logic so you can solve them well although you are weak at math. ​
- Also, we would like you to focus on DS as DS is a quick win in case you study our course. ​
- Plus, ​for short-cut, ​focus on studying the key questions, 5 chapters ​(​Integer, statistics, probability,inequality, absolute value​), which completes 80% of your study for GMAT.
- For hard questions to determine a score of 49-51, ​you can learn ​"​CMT 3 and 4​ (common mistake type) that ​​we provide extra tips to solve the question in 2 minutes​ per question. ​

If you’re interested, please visit our website below.
https://www.mathrevolution.com/
​ ​
​We have various programs depending on your planned prep period (1,3,6 month), your target (47 or 51) and if you're a new taker or re-takers. ​

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html

Jin
Math Revolution ​
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Like others said, hard to say unless you can pinpoint the weaknesses regarding the questions. From your score, it seems like you should be focusing more on Quant since that is poorer (?). However, you need to know exactly the kinds of questions you are screwing up. The GMAT Software shows you which questions you got wrong so take note of these and make yourself an error log. Then just practice those particular questions.

Take me, for example. I studied for a few weeks and discovered that Quant was the weaker section. Then I looked at in depth and found out that Data Sufficiency and Work/Time problems were the worst for me. I'd get the easy ones wrong here so I just went to my nearest public library (or university library) and loaned out a few books from Kaplan and Manhattan Prep. Practiced for a couple of hours for a week and improved drastically. It's simple and can be done for free if you know what you are after.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Thanks Everyone for your advice.

rich : I have DMed you with the details.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
s2s2213 wrote:
Hi,

After preparing for 6 months and after 2 attempts at GMAT,I am not able to cross 600 (V29 Q32). I have solved OG and MGMAT at least 4 times. I took mock tests quite frequently but somehow I ended up screwing GMAT exam. I am not able to figure out what am I doing wrong. During practice I solved questions with 80% efficiency and I analysed my wrong questions but still I was not able to improve the score.

In mock tests,I was scoring from 650-690. I am planning to start preparing again.Please suggest me what should I change in my prep.
I have solved Manhattan books, Official Guides and E-GMAT verbal. Please suggest what else to do as I am planning to schedule next GMAT in next 3 months.

Thanks.

What I hear from your post is WHAT has gone wrong, but now WHY it has gone wrong.

There are fundamentally 3 things that can go wrong on the GMAT:

1) You do not know your concepts well - scores of Q32 and v29 tell me that could be an issue.

2) You are not using the right techniques - you focus on solving the questions instead of getting to the right answer (<- huge mental shift required)

3) You don't have the right strategies to give you the edge on the day of the test - guessing techniques, timing strategy etc.

Also as you were scoring 650 on your practice tests - I don't see 600 as a huge drop.

I would strongly recommend that you start relooking the way you approach the GMAT.

If you could provide more inputs then we can probably get to the bottom of this.

Arun

PS: Also don't externalise the problem. We are here to help you with suggestions - but the answers you must find yourself! :)
GMAT Club Bot