GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 00:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:01) correct 46% (01:10) wrong based on 427 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives.

A.Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives
B. Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, who were often his closest friends and relatives
C. Subjects of Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives, tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed
D. In Egon Schiele’s portraits, the subjects, often his closest friends and relatives, tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed
E. Vividly but disturbingly, the subjects portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits tended to be his closest friends and relatives

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 00:43
Between C and D i chose C. The OA is D. Can someone please explain what i might have overlooked?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 00:58
Kritesh wrote:
Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives.

Quote:
A.Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives
B. Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits, who were often his closest friends and relatives

A - Noun modifier 'often...relatives' can modify portraits or subjects. OUT
B - Relative pronoun with modifier 'who....relatives' seems to be modifying portraits. OUT

Quote:
C. Subjects of Egon Schiele’s portraits, often his closest friends and relatives, tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed
E. Vividly but disturbingly, the subjects portrayed in Egon Schiele’s portraits tended to be his closest friends and relatives

C - Has a similar issue to A. .
E - 'tended to be' -> the change in tense is not required. OUT!

Quote:
D. In Egon Schiele’s portraits, the subjects, often his closest friends and relatives, tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed

Removes ambiguity, as the subordinate clause 'In...portraits' is modifying 'the subjects' and the noun modifier 'often...relatives' is modifying the subjects, and then we have the rest of the clause.
It has no grammatical errors, So D is the best choice.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:03
mehrotrayashraj wrote:
Between C and D i chose C. The OA is D. Can someone please explain what i might have overlooked?

In (B), the modifying clause, “who were often his closest friends and relatives,” seems to refer to portraits rather than subjects. Choice (B) retains the same problem as (A), so you can eliminate it.(C) is wrong because it is unclear whether “tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed” refers to how these subjects are displayed in the portraits, or elsewhere; perhaps biographers of Schiele depict them in this manner.

Finally, choice (E) is incorrect because the adverbial phrase “Vividly but disturbingly” appears to refer to the verb “tended” rather than to the adjective “portrayed,” making it seem as if the subjects’ tendency to be Egon’s friends is what’s vivid and disturbing. Only choice (D) properly addresses this misplaced modifier problem; it is therefore your correct answer. Moreover, choice (D), unlike (C),makes it clear that the vivid but disturbing portrayal is in the portaits themselves.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 11:25
mehrotrayashraj wrote:

subjects are the noun and often closest relatives is the modifier. The rule of placing a modifier next to the noun it modifies eliminates option C.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ESADE '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 04:14
Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of 'his' in the question, as far as I know a possessive noun (Egon Schiele’s) cannot be the antecedent???
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 04:50
cbaheti999 wrote:
Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of 'his' in the question, as far as I know a possessive noun (Egon Schiele’s) cannot be the antecedent???

Possessive noun's can have possessive pronouns as their antecedents.
In this case 'his' refers back to ' Egon Schiele's'

So the sentence is essentially saying, " often Egon Schiele's closest friends and relatives "

If you have the Manhattan SC Guide, Look up Chapter 12.
Hope this helps!

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 03:35
Kritesh wrote:

This is an excellent question that demonstrates the need to always understand the meaning of a sentence.

Most people would have been stuck with (C) and (D).

[(A) & (B) are incorrect because of modifier error, (i.e.) portraits are modified by the phrase "his closest friends and relatives" whereas it should be "Subjects" that should be modified by the phrase. (E) is incorrect because it changes the entire meaning of the sentence and is nonsensical.]

Between (C) & (D), the right answer choice is (D) because the original meaning of the sentence implies that the subjects are portrayed vividly but disturbingly IN THE PORTRAIT. Therefore, option (D) is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B
Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 00:28
cbaheti999 wrote:

A non-possessive noun with a non-possessive pronoun . -->Egon Schiele + he , him --> is okay

A possessive noun with a possessive pronoun is ok. --> Egon Schiele’s + his --> is also okay

However, posseesive noun with non-possessive pronoun is NOT OK. ----Egon Schiele’s + he, him --> is NOT okay

Hope this helps!
:)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 11:30
After elimination we are left with C and D.

In C we have : Subject of
In D we have : In portraits, the subject is..

So i will pick D.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 20:12
Although I chose D, I couldn't quite deny C. Just felt that the construction was a bit awry.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.14
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 00:20
Although I chose D because it sounded correct.

Having a little trouble understanding modifiers: as per my understanding, how is "often his closest friends and relatives" the modifier of "subjects" rather than "vividly but disturbingly" which is the adjective?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 06:17
rezkazmi wrote:
Although I chose D because it sounded correct.

Having a little trouble understanding modifiers: as per my understanding, how is "often his closest friends and relatives" the modifier of "subjects" rather than "vividly but disturbingly" which is the adjective?

"Vividly" and " disturbingly" are not adjectives, but adverbs and hence must refer to other adjectives or verbs. Here they refer to the verb "be portrayed". (Adverbs cannot refer to nouns, hence "vividly" and " disturbingly" cannot refer to "subjects".)

The part "often his closest friends and relatives" is an appositive modifier (i.e. noun referring to another noun) - precisely "his closest friends and relatives" refers to "subjects".
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 20:56
there is a big confuse in this question.
Portraits are things, not people, so portraits do not refer to friends and relatives.
The question does not test the parallel structure, but the pronoun.
Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 05:59

Modifier is too far

Modifier is wrongly placed

Subjects in is correct

Correct

Wrong. Changes the meaning

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2017, 05:59

Subjects tend to be vividly but disturbingly portrayed in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap