GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Calling all UCLA Anderson MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

December 19, 2018

December 19, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Chat with UCLA Adcoms in GMATClub Chat Room. With less than a month to R2 deadline, I hope the chat session will prove to be very helpful. Wednesday, Dec 19 @ 9AM PST
  • Yale R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

December 19, 2018

December 19, 2018

10:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

One of our forum members, ak99 recently got accepted at Yale SOM in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 05:54
Hello...
Last week i gave the 1st shot to GMAT and got a good score of 760 (Q51/V40) and IR 8. Frankly i was hoping within a range of 710 - 740. I was ecstatic and thanking my stars but as i started researching for B schools to apply, things dont seem so easy. I know that i have missed the deadlines for US 2 year schools but i am ready to wait till the next process starts. I am really confused and really need some critical advice about where to apply and which school will be the best for my future.
A little background:
Age - 29.5 yrs
WE - 67 months
Education: Dual Degree (BTech + Mtech) in Mechanical Engineering from one of the best IITs
Experience - Majority in an Automotive Manufacturing industry and Power Sector
Foreign Experience - 6 months in Latin America
Target Schools - Stanford, Harvard, INSEAD, LBS, Kellog, Columbia

I have a few queries about my prospects of getting into the perfect school for me:
- What are the chances of getting into the top 4 US colleges for a guy like me with a manufacturing background and whats the best future goal for getting accepted in these schools??

- The 1st round deadline for INSEAD (Class of Jan 2017) is 2nd March. What are my chances in getting into it and how helpful will it be for my career??

- Considering my age and WE (not on the lower side of the spectrum for the median of the applicants), should i go for 1 year MBA or 2 years??

- If the top 4-5 US schools are out of reach for me (in terms of my profile), will LBS be a good option??

- Should i wait and apply for all the school around the same time in August-September or should i apply to IDSEAD and take my chances??

There are many more queries in my head but maybe i would like to get some directions first before going forward.

Thanks and hope to get some great advice....
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 08:31
Thanks for the post and congrats on the great GMAT score. What were your grades at IIT out of 100? Also what is your current role within auto mfg / power? Career progression and leadership roles?

Depending on those answers you may have a chance at the top U.S. schools though your age will work against you.

INSEAD and LBS are much more reasonable but as you mention, you won't give yourself a shot everywhere if you just do those this year.

A good approach could be round three for some of these to get a couple apps out and then a focused strategy for round one elsewhere.

If you apply early to Columbia you have a good chance of getting an interview and Kellogg, LBS and INSEAD are good to target next year as well. Have you considered Sloan or Wharton?

Send me a note if you want to discuss your strategy in more detail. Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 23:33
qwerty1986 wrote:
Hello...
Last week i gave the 1st shot to GMAT and got a good score of 760 (Q51/V40) and IR 8. Frankly i was hoping within a range of 710 - 740. I was ecstatic and thanking my stars but as i started researching for B schools to apply, things dont seem so easy. I know that i have missed the deadlines for US 2 year schools but i am ready to wait till the next process starts. I am really confused and really need some critical advice about where to apply and which school will be the best for my future.
A little background:
Age - 29.5 yrs
WE - 67 months
Education: Dual Degree (BTech + Mtech) in Mechanical Engineering from one of the best IITs
Experience - Majority in an Automotive Manufacturing industry and Power Sector
Foreign Experience - 6 months in Latin America
Target Schools - Stanford, Harvard, INSEAD, LBS, Kellog, Columbia

I have a few queries about my prospects of getting into the perfect school for me:
- What are the chances of getting into the top 4 US colleges for a guy like me with a manufacturing background and whats the best future goal for getting accepted in these schools??

- The 1st round deadline for INSEAD (Class of Jan 2017) is 2nd March. What are my chances in getting into it and how helpful will it be for my career??

- Considering my age and WE (not on the lower side of the spectrum for the median of the applicants), should i go for 1 year MBA or 2 years??

- If the top 4-5 US schools are out of reach for me (in terms of my profile), will LBS be a good option??

- Should i wait and apply for all the school around the same time in August-September or should i apply to IDSEAD and take my chances??

There are many more queries in my head but maybe i would like to get some directions first before going forward.

Thanks and hope to get some great advice....

Hey dude!
Congrats on that totally awesome GMAT!!!! Fantastic!!!

So first of all, overall: Your base profile (IIT + Fantastic GMAT) is great, but that alone will not get you into to Top 5 programs. You also need a STORY!!!! Even with the amazing background you are bringing in, things at the top programs are exceptionally competitive and ESPECIALLY for Indian candidates. So think about this: What do you want? What makes you unique??? What can you bring to the table?

Now, on to your questions!!!

It's not a question of "manufacturing background" but more specifically: what did you DO? Who and how many did you LEAD? HOW did you DO? WHO did you work for??? From what I can see here I think you can pretty much stick to Top 10 programs... but I would suggest shooting wider than just H/S/W.

You have good chances at INSEAD, and it can help your career. However, unless you are in a colossal rush, I would suggest waiting until R1 in Fall 2016 and apply to all schools simultaneously, so that you get your results at the same time, and can make the most informed choice.

As you wish. It's more of a personal choice. If you know you want to change industries, a 2-year MBA might be advantageous.

Not out of range. But like I wrote, apply to Top 10 schools.

I would suggest waiting for the reason mentioned above.

I hope this helps!!!!
And if you have any other questions, don't hesitate!!!
Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 23:11
Thanks for the reply Scott. As per your queries, i got a CGPA of 6.99/10 in the IITs. In the power sector (which was my 1st job), i was an operations engg working in the control room.. Then i got selected for a Fast track growth program for young managers in the manufacturing MNC. In that i had to go for a cross functional, cross locational and cross cultural experience doing projects for 6 months each for the next 2 years. During one of this 6 months, i went to Brazil for 6 months for a benchmarking projects.. After completing my 2 years of experience, i started working as a process planner for manufacturing and have been doing the same since then. I have led many projects for technical improvements and productivity improvements but i never had direct reportees under me excepts trainees. Though i have led cross-functional teams for those projects. Very recently i was promoted to be a Manager though my role is still the same.. Hope these inputs give a better idea if my profile is good enough to think of top 4-5 schools.

Also, what career path would be good for me - consultancy or operations and which schools?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
GMAT Club Bot
Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760 &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jan 2016, 23:11

Target Schools for a Manufacturing guy with a GMAT score of 760

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap