Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tepper vs. Johnnson or should I even go?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Cornell vs. Tepper

• 12% [2]
  • 68% [11]
  • 18% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.35
Tepper vs. Johnnson or should I even go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2019, 12:17
hi you all,

I just got accepted to both Tepper and Johnson, and I'm having a hard time to pick which one to attend. Also applied to Columbia in early Dec, and the result is pending. It'd be great if you guys can help out!

Background: graduated in 2015 from UoM Ann Arbor. I'm currently an individual contributor on the sales team for cloud infrastructure technology at one of biggest global companies in the world (top 10 by market cap). Joined the team about 5 months ago.

I like my job, and I'm getting paid 125K as salary and I received a 20K sign on bonus when I accepted the job. Top performer right now in the team with a mega deal coming down the pipeline. If it is closed, I will be paid ~350K in bonus (aside from salary) by the end of December 2020. I love the nature of my job + the industry that I'm in. I'm getting paid a decent amount.

Goal for entering MBA: I love my job, but I'm getting a bit jaded at it. I want to learn corporate finance and leadership skills to climb the ladder into management. Immediately post graduation: sales manager (people managing) at a top 3 tech firm on the sales/strategy side. Mid term goal: 3-5 year goal is to become sr. sales dir or VP at a major tech company. Long term goal 20-25 yrs: CEO of my own tech global company.

Tepper: offered 20K per year of aid
Johnson: no aid
Columbia: pending

It is a bit of tricky situation with the big deal coming down. Is it possible to delay enrollment? My friend at the HBS 2+2 program delayed for 3 years after admission before going back to school.

Thanks for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by weiwang922 on 20 Dec 2019, 11:19.
Last edited by weiwang922 on 20 Dec 2019, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Rice (Jones) School Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Re: Tepper vs. Johnnson or should I even go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 11:39
I think you should add 'delay' as an option in your poll. I am for that option because of the deal in the pipeline.

Best wishes!
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 22:19
First off, GO BLUE!
This is a great problem to have and BTW, deferring an admission is almost always a possibility as long as you have a really convincing reason, which I think you have. You can talk about how you got new responsibility (or a promotion) that gives you a great opportunity for a short term strong impact!

Next year, you can apply to more schools. While it is not the most ethical thing to do, plenty of people do it.
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 22:31
Is it a golden handcuffs situation? If you quit in July/Aug, you will forfeit the bonus? If that's the case, I would definitely consider that with that opportunity. It is great to have options potentially next year and try your luck with other programs while you already have a deferred admit. It is tricky though as some schools have no deferral policy or at least they say that but I think you can make a pretty good case!

Great job by the way!
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 11:46
bb wrote:
Is it a golden handcuffs situation? If you quit in July/Aug, you will forfeit the bonus? If that's the case, I would definitely consider that with that opportunity. It is great to have options potentially next year and try your luck with other programs while you already have a deferred admit. It is tricky though as some schools have no deferral policy or at least they say that but I think you can make a pretty good case!

Great job by the way!

Thanks bb for your input! I will evaluate my situation a bit more. :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 11:47
souvik101990 wrote:
First off, GO BLUE!
This is a great problem to have and BTW, deferring an admission is almost always a possibility as long as you have a really convincing reason, which I think you have. You can talk about how you got new responsibility (or a promotion) that gives you a great opportunity for a short term strong impact!

Next year, you can apply to more schools. While it is not the most ethical thing to do, plenty of people do it.

Go Blue! and thanks for your input! I will most certainly think about how to defer the matriculation for 2021 then!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tepper vs. Johnnson or should I even go?   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2019, 11:47

Tepper vs. Johnnson or should I even go?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate