GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Apr 2020, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tepper ($$) vs ROSS

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tepper ($$) vs ROSS

• 33% [20]
  • 61% [36]
  • 5% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Tepper ($$) vs ROSS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 01:27
Dear Friends,
Post the R1 grind, now comes the confusion of which B-school to choose :o ...Your comments & views will give me a good idea of where I could head. :)

My profile: Indian 25 yr old female Engineer, working in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle) as Marketing & Brand Manager with almost 4 yrs wrk-ex. Good academics & strong at quants.

Goals: ST - Marketing (Product Management/ Analytics/ Mktg Strategy) probably in Auto as I have developed a liking for the industry, a few years of Work-Ex in US market is preferred.
LT- Entrepreneurship, in an emerging economy such as India. Currently, playing around with an idea in the CV space.

Now, I have 2 admits & a waitlist from R1 applications. Tepper has generously offered a scholarship worth $30k/year - almost half the tuition. ROSS, however, has not offered anything. ROSS was my top favorites while applying - esp. its proximity to Detroit is a pull-factor for me. I have not heard from Tauber yet, whether they have selected me for the overlay.
To add to this I have a Duke waitlist. :?

Which of the above makes sense given my goals? I, being on the slightly younger side on the avg, should I bother much about the scholarship? I also want to have a 360 deg. college experience, while making the best of my MBA - which of these would give me that?
Another imp question, should I opt for loans through the university, even if I am getting a loan at a lower interest rate somewhere else? Would there be any waivers offered based on performance during an MBA?

Thanks in advance ppl!!! Your inputs would be invaluable!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Re: Tepper ($$) vs ROSS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 05:03
I think that there are two factors here that really make me think Ross is the right choice:

1) Post-MBA goals
For the short-term auto industry goal, you really can't beat the proximity of Detroit to Ann Arbor. The ease of networking while at school will be a huge plus. And for the long-term goal of entrepreneurship, Ross has great resources to assist with that (they often are in the top 10 of entrepreneurship rankings if I remember correctly).

2) Ross was a top choice
While $60K from Tepper is a great offer, you should definitely consider whether it is enough to pull you from your top choice. It may be, but just be sure. The people that you attend school with will be your network for life, and that is half the value of an MBA.

I admittedly am not 100% familiar with Tepper (was not a target school for me given my goals). I do believe they are strong in Ops and Supply Chain, which does align with the auto industry.

Best of luck! And maybe I'll see you at Ross in the fall!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 08:28
joshuacdsmith wrote:
I think that there are two factors here that really make me think Ross is the right choice:

1) Post-MBA goals
For the short-term auto industry goal, you really can't beat the proximity of Detroit to Ann Arbor. The ease of networking while at school will be a huge plus. And for the long-term goal of entrepreneurship, Ross has great resources to assist with that (they often are in the top 10 of entrepreneurship rankings if I remember correctly).

2) Ross was a top choice
While $60K from Tepper is a great offer, you should definitely consider whether it is enough to pull you from your top choice. It may be, but just be sure. The people that you attend school with will be your network for life, and that is half the value of an MBA.

I admittedly am not 100% familiar with Tepper (was not a target school for me given my goals). I do believe they are strong in Ops and Supply Chain, which does align with the auto industry.

Best of luck! And maybe I'll see you at Ross in the fall!

Thanks joshuacdsmith..That was quite helpful!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Tepper ($$) vs ROSS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 11:38
Congratulations on your amits! I would not wait on Duke really - if it comes through, then you can make that choice later but I would not count that it will until Aug 1, 2016. Duke is famous for keeping the waitlisters.... waiting. So between Tepper and Ross, I will try to offer a slightly different perspective, something that has not been shared yet perhaps and something few think about and that is not so much related to either school:

1. Family plans. If you are planning to take time off to have kids/etc. I know it is probably too fast/etc, but a lot of people try to have kids before 30. You will matriculate at 26. Graduate at 28. That's 2 years until 30... having less debt would be helpful if you are staying at home with the kid... obviously the current economy and lifestyle takes 2 incomes but if you were always planning to raise your kids vs. daycare, something to weigh in. Your income generation will likely be reduced and if you are planning to take time off for a few years (unless our laws/company policies change) you are likely to have to restart at a lower salary level than your peers who did not take time off. Your family decision will largely depend on how your parents did it - that's how it happens with most of us.
2. Loan forgiveness, there are no options in terms of your MBA performance/grades that I am aware of. You are probably best off getting the cheapest loans but you should still check/look into what forgiveness options they have (Govmnt loans sometimes have an option for working in low-paying jobs in remote areas)
3. Your personal support network - where is it based? Close to Ross or somewhere else. If you stay in the area you have had your network, you will continue maintaining (minimally most likely) your contacts in the industry;etc. if you move away, you are likely to lose some of that network while only building the school-based one (which you will build in any case). 2 networks is better than 1.

Good Luck with your choice.
P.S. When you do make your decision, do come back and post what it is and why if you don't mind. Thank you.
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 18:33
Go to Ross. I'd say 60k isn't as much as 90k :) also, you have a few extra years cushioning to repay debt as you are younger than average!
Of course, Ross is perhaps way better for automobiles than your other choice.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 18:43
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your amits! I would not wait on Duke really - if it comes through, then you can make that choice later but I would not count that it will until Aug 1, 2016. Duke is famous for keeping the waitlisters.... waiting. So between Tepper and Ross, I will try to offer a slightly different perspective, something that has not been shared yet perhaps and something few think about and that is not so much related to either school:

1. Family plans. If you are planning to take time off to have kids/etc. I know it is probably too fast/etc, but a lot of people try to have kids before 30. You will matriculate at 26. Graduate at 28. That's 2 years until 30... having less debt would be helpful if you are staying at home with the kid... obviously the current economy and lifestyle takes 2 incomes but if you were always planning to raise your kids vs. daycare, something to weigh in. Your income generation will likely be reduced and if you are planning to take time off for a few years (unless our laws/company policies change) you are likely to have to restart at a lower salary level than your peers who did not take time off. Your family decision will largely depend on how your parents did it - that's how it happens with most of us.
2. Loan forgiveness, there are no options in terms of your MBA performance/grades that I am aware of. You are probably best off getting the cheapest loans but you should still check/look into what forgiveness options they have (Govmnt loans sometimes have an option for working in low-paying jobs in remote areas)
3. Your personal support network - where is it based? Close to Ross or somewhere else. If you stay in the area you have had your network, you will continue maintaining (minimally most likely) your contacts in the industry;etc. if you move away, you are likely to lose some of that network while only building the school-based one (which you will build in any case). 2 networks is better than 1.

Good Luck with your choice.
P.S. When you do make your decision, do come back and post what it is and why if you don't mind. Thank you.

Thanks for the unique perspective and I would definitely post back my decision and why.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 18:44
aditya0401 wrote:
Go to Ross. I'd say 60k isn't as much as 90k :) also, you have a few extra years cushioning to repay debt as you are younger than average!
Of course, Ross is perhaps way better for automobiles than your other choice.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Thanks Aditya!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2016, 13:24
Go to Ross. From my visit much more well rounded student body. Being at Tepper made me feel like I was back at engineering school.

Ross will give you great access to the Detroit Auto Big 3.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 15:27
I agree with most people here to go to Ross given your goals -- Detroit will make it easier for you to network and learn more about the auto industry there.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 22:37
Congrats on getting into two great schools! I'd probably lean on ross in your position, but it's a tough choice. As a side note, I'm interviewing for both tepper and ross in r2 and am super nervous. Could you pm me any specific pieces of advice? How was the team exercise for Ross? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 23:42
Hi Friends,
Thanks a ton for your insights...
After some deliberation I have enrolled myself in ROSS. There were a few factors which drove me towards the same, prioritized as below:
- The sheer size of Michigan & ROSS alumni, and also good Indian alum presence (compared to the Tepper alum strength) - I may return to India at some point in time for my start-up ambition.
- Better accessibility to recruiters (both auto & otherwise)
- My less than average age also puts me in better shape to pay off major part of the loan burden before other prime expenses in life kick in. This helped me decline the other school's scholarship.

Other biases built in the process:
- The free flowing and natural interview experience with ROSS alum compared to a structured Skype interview with Tepper Adcom.
- Ranking difference (esp. in the eyes of recruiters) between the two schools was a minor factor, but still counted in.
- Fall back to consulting/returning to good work opportunities through Indian alums (just incase of no luck in Visa lottery)
- Ann arbor's college town experience compared to Pittsburgh (totally a personal preference)

Looking forward to GO BLUE!! :):)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 02:08
joe26219 wrote:
Hi Friends,
Thanks a ton for your insights...
After some deliberation I have enrolled myself in ROSS. There were a few factors which drove me towards the same, prioritized as below:
- The sheer size of Michigan & ROSS alumni, and also good Indian alum presence (compared to the Tepper alum strength) - I may return to India at some point in time for my start-up ambition.
- Better accessibility to recruiters (both auto & otherwise)
- My less than average age also puts me in better shape to pay off major part of the loan burden before other prime expenses in life kick in. This helped me decline the other school's scholarship.

Other biases built in the process:
- The free flowing and natural interview experience with ROSS alum compared to a structured Skype interview with Tepper Adcom.
- Ranking difference (esp. in the eyes of recruiters) between the two schools was a minor factor, but still counted in.
- Fall back to consulting/returning to good work opportunities through Indian alums (just incase of no luck in Visa lottery)
- Ann arbor's college town experience compared to Pittsburgh (totally a personal preference)

Looking forward to GO BLUE!! :):)

That's a great decision! Wish you the best :)
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 07:24
Do not wait for Duke. They love to keep the waitlist with little movement. It's just months of dragging with no progress!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 07:46
OP is crazy. You turned down a 60k scholarship to go a marginally incremental school with no money offer? UMich is a large public school with over 46k students. CMU has way more prestige than UMich. They are both top 20 schools. Your crazy.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 09:46
alphabeta1234 wrote:
OP is crazy. You turned down a 60k scholarship to go a marginally incremental school with no money offer? UMich is a large public school with over 46k students. CMU has way more prestige than UMich. They are both top 20 schools. Your crazy.

This seems a bit aggressive and not substantiated. CMU is a great school and so is Ross. And I'm not sure why the size of Michigan's university system has anything to do with the prestige of the ~450 student FT MBA program. IMO OP is by no means crazy.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 02:53
Congrats on your admit! Any insights on application strategy(in terms of GMAT,GPA(CGPA),Essays,Recos) to the prospective students will be appreciated. Please do share with us your thoughts.
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 16:55
Congratulations on your decision to attend Ross!! Great decision imo.
Check back once Orientation starts and let us know if you indeed made the right choice for you :)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 16:25
Great decision with Ross you will come to see that as the right decision it really address everything you seem to be looking for in a program. Hva ea great two years at a great program!

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tepper ($$) vs ROSS   [#permalink] 02 May 2016, 16:25

Tepper ($$) vs ROSS

new topic post reply Update application status