Last visit was: 16 Jul 2024, 13:05 It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 13:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35760 [39]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35760 [20]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2325 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
Re: The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul” rang traditionally at one o’cl [#permalink]
Kudos
zhanbo wrote:
I could not find one answer I truly like. After spending almost 3 minutes, I chose (D) but its punctuation use is questionable.

For irregular verb "ring", its past tense is "rang", and its past participle is "rung".

(A)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—rang traditionally at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell for the 2012 London Olympics.

In the main clause, its subject is "The 16.5-ton bell", and its verb is "was the largest bell". Between the em-dash pair, a past participle phrase (rung...) should be used. Eliminate (A).

(B)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until casting the Olympic Bell
for the 2012 London Olympics.

See above. Eliminated.

(C)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell had been cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

This option correctly uses past participle phrase "traditionally rung at one o’clock each day" between two em-dashes. We cannot choose (C), though, because past perfect tense is used in subordinate clause "until the Olympic Bell had been cast for the 2012 London Olympics". The use of past perfect tense indicates that the Olympic Bell came into existence before "Great Paul". Eliminate (C).

(D)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rung at one o’clock each day, was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

This option fixes the verb tense issue in (C), but uses a comma instead of em-dash to set off past participle phrase "traditionally rung at one o’clock each day". We should use em-dash in pairs.

(E)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—rang at one o’clock each day by tradition, and was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

Note the use of "rang" in this option. We might argue that “rang at one o’clock each day“ is the verb for subject "The 16.5-ton bell". But the use of em-dash is uncalled for.

I could not find a satisfactory option, but went for (D) in the end.

Hi zhanbo,

Can you address this query of mine?

Isn't this statement rang traditionally at one o’clock each day a fact? So shouldn't this statement use simple past rang?

Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1300 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul” rang traditionally at one o’cl [#permalink]
Kudos
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—rang traditionally at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell for the 2012 London Olympics.

A) rang traditionally at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell -> traditional (adverb) modifies rang (verb), it is incorrect to modify "at one o’clock each day".

B) traditionally rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until casting the Olympic Bell -> "casting the Olympic Bell" we don't have verb to complete the sentence. Incorrect.

C) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell had been cast -> "had been", is used for former action, if there are two actions in place. But, "Olympic Bell" casting was later action. Incorrect.

D) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day, was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast -> It is better. We are talking about two actions in past.

E) rang at one o’clock each day by tradition, and was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast -> "The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul” and..." is incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2325 [0]

Send PM
beeblebrox wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
I could not find one answer I truly like. After spending almost 3 minutes, I chose (D) but its punctuation use is questionable.

For irregular verb "ring", its past tense is "rang", and its past participle is "rung".

(A)

In the main clause, its subject is "The 16.5-ton bell", and its verb is "was the largest bell". Between the em-dash pair, a past participle phrase (rung...) should be used. Eliminate (A).

(B)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until casting the Olympic Bell

See above. Eliminated.

(C)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell had been cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

This option correctly uses past participle phrase "traditionally rung at one o’clock each day" between two em-dashes. We cannot choose (C), though, because past perfect tense is used in subordinate clause "until the Olympic Bell had been cast for the 2012 London Olympics". The use of past perfect tense indicates that the Olympic Bell came into existence before "Great Paul". Eliminate (C).

(D)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—traditionally rung at one o’clock each day, was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

This option fixes the verb tense issue in (C), but uses a comma instead of em-dash to set off past participle phrase "traditionally rung at one o’clock each day". We should use em-dash in pairs.

(E)
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul”—rang at one o’clock each day by tradition, and was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast for the 2012 London Olympics.

Note the use of "rang" in this option. We might argue that “rang at one o’clock each day“ is the verb for subject "The 16.5-ton bell". But the use of em-dash is uncalled for.

Hi zhanbo,

Can you address this query of mine?

Isn't this statement rang traditionally at one o’clock each day a fact? So shouldn't this statement use simple past rang?

Thanks.

"Rang" can indeed be used when it is used to construct simple past tense in a clause.

Most of the options in this question, however, uses "ring" in a modifier. In that case, we cannot use past tense of "ring". Instead, we can use past or present participles, as appropriate.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35760 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:

zhanbo , you are correct. The punctuation was wrong in options D and E. Edited. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A) rang traditionally at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell — adverb “traditionally” is supposed to modify the verb “rang” and not “one’o clock”. Eliminate.

B) traditionally rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until casting the Olympic Bell — “casting” changes the meaning. We need the verb form “was cast” and not the gerund “casting”.

C) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell had been cast — “had” in this case is not required since we already have a time marker “until”. Also logically it is absurd. The Olympic bell was cast later. Can’t use past perfect.

D) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast — no obvious errors.

E) rang at one o’clock each day by tradition—and was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast — “by tradition” seems to be modifying “each” when it should modify the verb. From a verb modifier to an object modifier. This shift isn’t intended. Eliminate.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
zhanbo wrote:

(A)

(B)

See above. Eliminated.

(C)

(D)

(E)

zhanbo If Option D were tweaked to

Quote:
D) traditionally rung rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast
Would it still be correct ??

We are using the past tense of ring i.e rang to describe the event. I don't think there is any error. Please help.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35760 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
zhanbo If Option D were tweaked to

Quote:
D) traditionally rung rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast
Would it still be correct ??

We are using the past tense of ring i.e rang to describe the event. I don't think there is any error. Please help.

warrior1991 , please see my OE.
It should help.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35760 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2325 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Right. Please check out the clear explanations in the OE.

The following rewrite is grammatically correct:
The 16.5-ton bell known as “Great Paul” rang traditionally at one o’clock each day, and it was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell for the 2012 London Olympics.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
A) rang traditionally at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the casting of the Olympic Bell

usage of "casting" is incorrect Incorrect

B) traditionally rang at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until casting the Olympic Bell

Same as A, Incorrect

C) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell had been cast

The phrase "Olympic bell had been cast" uses improper tense (had been) - Incorrect

D) traditionally rung at one o’clock each day—was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast - Correct

E) rang at one o’clock each day by tradition—and was the largest bell in the British Isles until the Olympic Bell was cast

Not so sure about "each day by tradition but I guess we can ignore it for now, the usage of "and" is incorrect. Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: NUS '26
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Re: The 16.5-ton bell known as Great Paul rang traditionally at one ocl [#permalink]
1. What is this big fuss about rang vs rung? I am unable to get it.

2. Also I feel a little discomfort in using "was cast" and somewhat feel more inclined to the usage "was casted" as cast is a verb.
Its the reason why I eliminated choice D

Can anyone help me out here?
Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The 16.5-ton bell known as Great Paul rang traditionally at one ocl [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts