Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [170]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [46]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [34]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [29]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
WZP wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:
For B, hoping is behind the “COMMA AND” which should be followed by an independent clause and “hoping to continue composing…” is not a clause, so I eliminate B. Am I right?
OR It is ok that COMMA AND is not followed by an independent clause. The OG says that hoping is parallel with winning. It seems that the COMMA AND is a conjunction.
THANKS in advance.

Comma + and can be used for ANY list having three or more itmes.

I crossed the street, running, panting, and dodging the traffic..... Correct.

This is called a serial comma and is optional, though in GMAT we see frequent use of it.

Here is another question.
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.
(A) which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size,
(B) and it would rob the oysters there of their flavor, make them smaller,
(C) and rob the oysters there of their flavor, making them decrease in size,
(D) robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller,
(E) robbing the oysters there of their flavor, and making them decrease in size,

For C, OG says"The comma before the conjunction and signals that an independent clause will follow and, but a verb phrase follows instead."
I thought it was a strict rule for Comma + and ( now, it seems not?)

It might be effective to distinguish two different applications of comma + and:

1. In a list: the usage is optional, but GMAT questions almost always have a comma.

I crossed the street, running, panting and dodging the traffic...... Correct

2. to separate two independent clauses: the usage is mandatory.

I went home, and then I slept.... correct (two independent clauses are I went home and then I slept - comma is required)
I went home, then I slept... wrong
I went home and slept.... correct ( two verbs are added, not two clauses - comma is not to be used)
I went home, and slept..... wrong
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
souvik101990 wrote:
The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

A. winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping
B. winning prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and hoping
C. having won prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, hoping
D. winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and he hopes
E. having won prestigious awards both in London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he hopes

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and in doing so won prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo; he also hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Idioms

• “both A as well as B”; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.
• Habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.
• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “hoping” and “winning” in this case) after the comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb “is hoping” to refer to a habitual action; remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “both A as well as B”; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

B: Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago”; the use of the “comma + present participle (“verb+ing” – “hoping” in this case)” construction incorrectly implies that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year because he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago; the intended meaning is that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and as a separate action he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “hoping” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Additionally, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between A (“in London”) and B (“Tokyo) in the construction “both A and B”; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “having won prestigious awards”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year because he had already won prestigious awards; the intended meaning is that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and in doing so won prestigious awards. Moreover, Option C further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago”; the use of the “comma + present participle (“verb+ing” – “hoping” in this case)” construction incorrectly implies that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year because he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago; the intended meaning is that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and as a separate action he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago; remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “hoping” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option C fails to maintain parallelism between A (“in London”) and B (“Tokyo”) in the construction “both A and B”; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “winning prestigious awards…”, conveying the intended meaning – that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and in doing so won prestigious awards. Moreover, Option D uses the clause “and he hopes…”, conveying the intended meaning – that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and as a separate action he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago. Further, Option D correctly uses the simple present tense verb “hopes” to refer to habitual action. Additionally, Option D correctly uses the idiomatic construction “both A (“London”) and B (“Tokyo”)”, maintaining parallelism between A and B.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “having won prestigious awards”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year because he had already won prestigious awards; the intended meaning is that the pianist performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, and in doing so won prestigious awards. Further, Option E fails to maintain parallelism between A (“in London”) and B (“Tokyo”) in the construction “both A and B”; remember, “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
For B, hoping is behind the “COMMA AND” which should be followed by an independent clause and “hoping to continue composing…” is not a clause, so I eliminate B. Am I right?
OR It is ok that COMMA AND is not followed by an independent clause. The OG says that hoping is parallel with winning. It seems that the COMMA AND is a conjunction.
THANKS in advance.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
WZP wrote:
THANKS in advance.

This is called a serial comma and is optional, though in GMAT we see frequent use of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:
THANKS in advance.

Here is another question.
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.
(A) which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size,
(B) and it would rob the oysters there of their flavor, make them smaller,
(C) and rob the oysters there of their flavor, making them decrease in size,
(D) robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller,
(E) robbing the oysters there of their flavor, and making them decrease in size,

For C, OG says"The comma before the conjunction and signals that an independent clause will follow and, but a verb phrase follows instead."
I thought it was a strict rule for Comma + and ( now, it seems not?)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos