GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 07:47

TODAY:

MIT Sloan R1 Decisions - Join MIT Chat for Live Updates | Chat with UCLA Anderson Adcom @9am PT | Chat with Yale SOM R1 Admit 10am PT

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 06:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:01) correct 23% (01:17) wrong based on 2340 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

A. winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping
B. winning prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and hoping
C. having won prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, hoping
D. winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and he hopes
E. having won prestigious awards both in London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he hopes

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 14:31
WZP wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:
For B, hoping is behind the “COMMA AND” which should be followed by an independent clause and “hoping to continue composing…” is not a clause, so I eliminate B. Am I right?
OR It is ok that COMMA AND is not followed by an independent clause. The OG says that hoping is parallel with winning. It seems that the COMMA AND is a conjunction.
THANKS in advance.

Comma + and can be used for ANY list having three or more itmes.

I crossed the street, running, panting, and dodging the traffic..... Correct.

This is called a serial comma and is optional, though in GMAT we see frequent use of it.

Here is another question.
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.
(A) which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size,
(B) and it would rob the oysters there of their flavor, make them smaller,
(C) and rob the oysters there of their flavor, making them decrease in size,
(D) robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller,
(E) robbing the oysters there of their flavor, and making them decrease in size,

For C, OG says"The comma before the conjunction and signals that an independent clause will follow and, but a verb phrase follows instead."
I thought it was a strict rule for Comma + and ( now, it seems not?)

It might be effective to distinguish two different applications of comma + and:

1. In a list: the usage is optional, but GMAT questions almost always have a comma.

I crossed the street, running, panting and dodging the traffic...... Correct

2. to separate two independent clauses: the usage is mandatory.

I went home, and then I slept.... correct (two independent clauses are I went home and then I slept - comma is required)
I went home, then I slept... wrong
I went home and slept.... correct ( two verbs are added, not two clauses - comma is not to be used)
I went home, and slept..... wrong
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Oct 2015, 20:12
The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

A. winning prestigious awards in both London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he is hoping
at so young an age is improper for the intended meaning. Such needs to be used.
now indicates present tense so hoping is incorrect.
both x as well as y is wrong idiom.

B winning prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and hoping
in London is not parallel to Tokyo in both x and y
hoping error repeats here from above.

C. having won prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, hoping
having won is improper here as it deviates the original intended meaning that since he won those awards, he performed.
hoping error repeats here with tense and modifying errors.

D. winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and he hopes
Correct choice

E. having won prestigious awards both in London as well as Tokyo for his achievement at so young an age, and he hopes
having won error and parallelism error in both x and y repeat as in C
so young repeats as in A

or
we can straightly arrive at D by using parallelism between X and Y in both X and Y idiom rule.

Originally posted by Nevernevergiveup on 30 Sep 2015, 08:45.
Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 02 Oct 2015, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 10:34
souvik101990 wrote:

B. winning prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and hoping

Ans D?

Did a 2/3 split on "so young an age" and "such a young age". So A,C and E are out
Between B and D, I chose D because of the 'he' .
Intern
Intern
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 10:51
its D.....
Both should come after "In"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:10
Two things stand out .
1. Idiom usage is x as well as y .Option [A] and Option [E] are ruled out.
2. The artist has already performed .He hopes to win .Option [B] and Option [C] are ruled out.

D is the right answer.

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 09:07
souvik101990 wrote:

Is this usage correct - both in X and Y.

I thought it should be both in X and in Y. But, official guide's explanation does not point out this error in B. Any comments?

KUDOS!!!, I need them too :)

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 09:36
sa2222 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Is this usage correct - both in X and Y.

I thought it should be both in X and in Y. But, official guide's explanation does not point out this error in B. Any comments?

Even though Official guide does not mention the idiom error, the correct IDIOM structure is both X and Y.

both in X and Y
is incorrect as in X and Y are not parallel in structure.
both in X and in Y may be correct but does not exist here and verbose compared to normal both X and Y form.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 01:31
For B, hoping is behind the “COMMA AND” which should be followed by an independent clause and “hoping to continue composing…” is not a clause, so I eliminate B. Am I right?
OR It is ok that COMMA AND is not followed by an independent clause. The OG says that hoping is parallel with winning. It seems that the COMMA AND is a conjunction.
THANKS in advance.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 06:26
WZP wrote:
THANKS in advance.

This is called a serial comma and is optional, though in GMAT we see frequent use of it.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 09:17
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:
THANKS in advance.

Thank you for your answer!!!! :-D
Could you please explain more about Comma+and? In which situation Comma+and signals a parallel? When Comma+and signals a independent clause?
You see for this question, I eliminate B mistakenly ( by an incorrect reason)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 09:25
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:
THANKS in advance.

Here is another question.
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.
(A) which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size,
(B) and it would rob the oysters there of their flavor, make them smaller,
(C) and rob the oysters there of their flavor, making them decrease in size,
(D) robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller,
(E) robbing the oysters there of their flavor, and making them decrease in size,

For C, OG says"The comma before the conjunction and signals that an independent clause will follow and, but a verb phrase follows instead."
I thought it was a strict rule for Comma + and ( now, it seems not?)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 18:10
sayantanc2k Thank you so much !!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 10:57
souvik101990 wrote:

Both X and Y is correct Idiom. A and E are out.

'And' preceded by ',' requires 'independent sentence'. B and C are out.

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 22:59
Quote:

if there is a comma and a coordinating conjunction after the comma, what exactly does that imply? do they both need to be independent or can they have the S-V split over the two clauses.

If a ‘comma + coordinating conjunction’ combination is used to split two independent clauses then there must be a separate subject-verb pair for each of the clauses. Two independent clauses cannot have S-V split over the two clauses.

OFFICIAL QUESTION
• Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
• and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.
In the above sentence, two independent clauses are connected using ‘comma + and’.

Hope the above discussion helps! :-)
Regards,

hi experts, I read it in GMATCLUB forums as above,

while in this case, it is correct, am I missing something ?

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.
would you please clarify further,

he stands for The 19-year-old pianist and composer ,
please clarify it.

thanks a lot
have a nice day
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 02:13
zoezhuyan, I don't see any contradiction between the material you quoted above and the usage in D. In both cases, two independent clauses are separated by ", and." This is correct usage. The fact that "he" refers back to the original subject does not prevent that second clause from being independent. It could stand alone as a sentence. (So could the sentence I just wrote, even though it starts with a pronoun that refers back to the previous sentence!)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 02:40
DmitryFarber wrote:
zoezhuyan, I don't see any contradiction between the material you quoted above and the usage in D. In both cases, two independent clauses are separated by ", and." This is correct usage. The fact that "he" refers back to the original subject does not prevent that second clause from being independent. It could stand alone as a sentence. (So could the sentence I just wrote, even though it starts with a pronoun that refers back to the previous sentence!)

Hi Dmitry,

i think i know where my fault :oops:

would you please help to confirm for another question,
when two independent clause connect by "comma + and", should keep these two subjects the same people or thing ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 03:06
No, the subjects don't have to be the same. Both of the sentences below are fine:

Carlsen has published a new novel, and it is a good one. (Here, "it" refers to the novel, which is the object--not the subject--of the previous clause.)
The storm felled several electrical lines, and many residents have been without power for over 48 hours.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 05:21
DmitryFarber wrote:
No, the subjects don't have to be the same. Both of the sentences below are fine:

Carlsen has published a new novel, and it is a good one. (Here, "it" refers to the novel, which is the object--not the subject--of the previous clause.)
The storm felled several electrical lines, and many residents have been without power for over 48 hours.

Hello DmitryFarber

If we re-write the first example as:
Carlsen published a new novel, and it is a good one.

Will that change the meaning?

Thanks
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 22:58
Imo D
Both X and Y
In both X and Y
Both in X and in Y .
Only D follows correct idiom

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2017, 22:58

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap