GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The 700 Pledge - How to Get 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
The 700 Pledge - How to Get 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 19:45

The 700 Pledge of a GMAT Test Taker

I have been asked many times by members who scored 600 after 3-4 attempts (often after years of preparation), two main questions: what should I do and why can’t I improve my score?

So here is my answer to all of those questions, PM’s and posts – if you are finding yourself not able to improve, stuck, or lost, join me in taking this 700-pledge. I have to warn you, however, it involves a lot of hard work, it does not have shortcuts, and the consequences of breaking it are: depression, inferiority, and anger. Proceed only if you think you can handle it, you can commit to it, and only if your MBA dream is something you are very serious about.

I pledge to:

1. To learn. I am not going to just read books or finish tests. I will ensure that I learn from all of my practice and materials as much as I can
  2. Treat GMAT seriously and with respect. Gain knowledge and skills from my GMAT prep experience. Use GMAT to obtain valuable skills I can use for the rest of my life - logical thinking, critical reading, fast math skills, etc. I will treat GMAT as a map to a treasure and with each day, I will gain additional pieces to the map.
  3. Align my priorities with goals and if I may have to make hard decision such as shift my study schedule to be before I go to work or before I go to work out, I will do it
  4. Keep track of my mistakes. I will maintain an error log for the questions I got wrong
  5. Use a timer with every question and exercise
  6. Commit to building a study schedule
  7. I will use the search function on GMAT Club before asking basic questions ;)
  8. Ask myself every day if there is anything else that I can do to study/improve/answer/not make mistakes? Is there ANYTHING that can help me? Is it memorizing all formulas? Is it memorizing the question? Is it stopping before every question and pausing for 5-10 seconds? is it studying at 5 AM? If any of these is yes, no matter how challenging or how painful, I commit to them because I want to achieve my dream
  9. Set my preparation at the highest priority (right with my health and family)
  10. Follow all GMAT leads/concerns/fears I have until they are addressed
  11. If I have to, I will create/write my own notes. I will take any notes in a separate notebook so that I can remember better.
  12. Do what it takes. If I need to remember the whole book, I will write out the whole freaking book into notes and organize it so that I can memorize it and if it does not work the first time, I am ready to do it again.
  13. I will be obsessed with the GMAT, with critical reasoning, with identifying assumptions, with calculating speeds, etc. everywhere - at work, home, etc
  14. Not skip sections/chapters in my prep and if I skipped any in my past in Quant or Verbal, I commit to revisiting them
  15. Not leave a chapter/area/book/test until I can score above 90% of the questions within the time frame.
  16. Stand proud because I have and will do everything in my power to achieve my goal. Should I fall short of that score, I will still stand proud of my score because I have done everything in my power and I have not a single doubt in my mind that not a stone was left unturned and I have done my absolute best. I will have no regrets but will be stronger and better than ever before.

If you agree to follow this pledge, please SIGN it publicly so that there is no going back

- You can post a reply with your username.
If you want to make this really stick so there is no going back - post this page on your Social Media account :shocked

Thank you and Good Luck!

If you are lacking motivation and need some ideas how to recover from a failure or how to use that experience to your benefit, this $7.50 book is for you!
Get this book if you can - it will help you understand a bit more about what it takes to succeed and persevere and potentially lead to some interesting revelations as well as unexpected positive results. Worst case scenario, you will read a great book ;-) https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psycholo ... 0345472322

The previous version of the pledge was posted here
-
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge
Re: The 700 Pledge - How to Get 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 19:55
+10 Kudos to you bb

Amazing post and yes gmat1393!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 21:02
bb,

Thanks for reviving the 700 pledge thread.

Signing my name to the pledge

- akadiyan
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 21:24
That 7th point is more trickier than any hard GMAT question. :lol:

This pledge perhaps suits me the most as I may be one of the oldest students of GMAT club who joined in 2013 and still preparing in 2019 for the exam without success. :-D

YES to the pledge. :thumbup:

Akshdeep
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 22:01
HI bb,

Good one...

I Pledge I can & I will...

NandishSS

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 23:43
Great initiative bb .
I sign to comply with the pledge.
Archit3110

I really liked the point 16 :)

bb wrote:

I have been asked many times by members who scored 600 after 3-4 attempts (often after years of preparation), two main questions: what should I do and why can’t I improve my score?

So here is my answer to all of those questions, PM’s and posts – if you are finding yourself not able to improve, stuck, or lost, join me in taking this 700-pledge. I have to warn you, however, it involves a lot of hard work, it does not have shortcuts, and the consequences of breaking it are: depression, inferiority, and anger. Proceed only if you think you can handle it, you can commit to it, and only if your MBA dream is something you are very serious about.

I pledge to:

1. To learn. I am not going to just read books or finish tests. I will ensure that I learn from all of my practice and materials as much as I can
  2. Treat GMAT seriously and with respect. Gain knowledge and skills from my GMAT prep experience. Use GMAT to obtain valuable skills I can use for the rest of my life - logical thinking, critical reading, fast math skills, etc. I will treat GMAT as a map to a treasure and with each day, I will gain additional pieces to the map.
  3. Align my priorities with goals and if I may have to make hard decision such as shift my study schedule to be before I go to work or before I go to work out, I will do it
  4. Keep track of my mistakes. I will maintain an error log for the questions I got wrong
  8. Ask myself every day if there is anything else that I can do to study/improve/answer/not make mistakes? Is there ANYTHING that can help me? Is it memorizing all formulas? Is it memorizing the question? Is it stopping before every question and pausing for 5-10 seconds? is it studying at 5 AM? If any of these is yes, no matter how challenging or how painful, I commit to them because I want to achieve my dream
  11. If I have to, I will create/write my own notes. I will take any notes in a separate notebook so that I can remember better.
  12. Do what it takes. If I need to remember the whole book, I will write out the whole freaking book into notes and organize it so that I can memorize it and if it does not work the first time, I am ready to do it again.
  13. I will be obsessed with the GMAT, with critical reasoning, with identifying assumptions, with calculating speeds, etc. everywhere - at work, home, etc
  14. Not skip sections/chapters in my prep and if I skipped any in my past in Quant or Verbal, I commit to revisiting them
  15. Not leave a chapter/area/book/test until I can score above 90% of the questions within the time frame.
  16. Stand proud because I have and will do everything in my power to achieve my goal. Should I fall short of that score, I will still stand proud of my score because I have done everything in my power and I have not a single doubt in my mind that not a stone was left unturned and I have done my absolute best. I will have no regrets but will be stronger and better than ever before.

If you agree to follow this pledge, please SIGN it publicly so that there is no going back

If you want to make this really stick so there is no going back - post this page on your Social Media account :shocked

Thank you and Good Luck!

If you are lacking motivation and need some ideas how to recover from a failure or how to use that experience to your benefit, this $7.50 book is for you!
Get this book if you can - it will help you understand a bit more about what it takes to succeed and persevere and potentially lead to some interesting revelations as well as unexpected positive results. Worst case scenario, you will read a great book ;-) https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psycholo ... 0345472322

-
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 18:54
Thanks, BB!

For those signing the pledge, you may find it helpful to read this article: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 00:37
Took my first GMAT today. Scored 530(39Q/24V)
I sign the pledge that the next attempt will be my best attempt (I already knew that this first attempt I was not taking seriously enough).

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 16:19
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Thanks, BB!

For those signing the pledge, you may find it helpful to read this article: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks for the excellent article. The points addressing the mindset are very informative.
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 19:24
I solelmly pledge to do everything in my power to follow it!
Thanks bb

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 16:47
akadiyan wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Thanks, BB!

ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks for the excellent article. The points addressing the mindset are very informative.

My pleasure! 700 or bust!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2019, 07:39
deleted

Originally posted by MBAuspicious on 28 May 2019, 21:38.
Last edited by MBAuspicious on 03 Oct 2019, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 18:23
Whatever it takes to reach the goal.

Sign me up.
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 19:40
dcummins wrote:

Sign me up.

I was going through this post looking for inspiration. I saw this comment of yours and the fact that you posted your debrief this week clearly shows that with determination and hard work one can achieve the dream score of 700.

Now i am waiting eagerly for the day to reach my dream score. :fingers_crossed:
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 23:03
akadiyan wrote:
dcummins wrote:

Sign me up.

I was going through this post looking for inspiration. I saw this comment of yours and the fact that you posted your debrief this week clearly shows that with determination and hard work one can achieve the dream score of 700.

Now i am waiting eagerly for the day to reach my dream score. :fingers_crossed:

Mate you need to live it, breathe it, visualise yourself getting it.

The night before my test I literally meditated and visualised myself getting the 700... i could actually feel it. I was smiling while closing my eyes and meditating as the sensation of claiming that 700+, albeit while visualised in my head, had at least SOME effect.

Get it done.
Manager
B
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 03:17
bb wrote:

I pledge to:

Thank you and Good Luck!

-

I pledge the same.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 08:32
I solemnly pledge to dedicate every ounce of my energy to reach this milestone.

Eat, sleep, GMAT repeat!

LFG! Greatness awaits.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 510 Q26 V34
WE: Science (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 08:59
In 2020 and this is still relevant. Got 510 in my first attempt but I'm still determined to break the 700 barrier. I have learned from my mistakes and scour the GMAT club pages daily so I can improve my score.

Let's go 700!!
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 15:49
Hi GMATJock,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. You might find it useful to start a new post-thread if you're looking for advice for this next phase of your studies. In addition, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The 700 Pledge - How to Get 700   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2020, 15:49

The 700 Pledge - How to Get 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep