GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 4
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2010, 21:09
8
This post received
KUDOS
44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:28) correct 42% (01:13) wrong based on 1081 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and |x - y| = 1 is

A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Re: area bounded by the curves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2010, 22:05
3
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves \(|x + y| = 1,\) \(|x - y| = 1\) is

A.3
B.4
C.2
D.1
E. None

please, help how to solve ?

hi,
these equations represent four different equations
x+y=1
x+y=-1
x-y=1
x-y=-1
once you plot these on the graph, you will easily find the area under these equations.

just for the record, the answer shall be 2.
_________________

CHEERS
fivezero7

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Re: area bounded by the curves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2010, 22:12
fivezero7 wrote:
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves \(|x + y| = 1,\) \(|x - y| = 1\) is

A.3
B.4
C.2
D.1
E. None

please, help how to solve ?

hi,
these equations represent four different equations
x+y=1
x+y=-1
x-y=1
x-y=-1
once you plot these on the graph, you will easily find the area under these equations.

just for the record, the answer shall be 2.


thank you for the reply, is it required to plot these lines and then calculate?
can we get directly i mean is there any formula to solve this problem?
thanks
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Re: area bounded by the curves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2010, 22:20
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anni wrote:
thank you for the reply, is it required to plot these lines and then calculate?
can we get directly i mean is there any formula to solve this problem?
thanks

hi anni,
there is no need to plot it, once you have mastered the art of visualization.
the way i did it is as under.
take x+y=1
it intersects the axes at (1,0) and (0,1) and makes a right angled triangle with the axes with each side (other than the hypotenuse) as 1
hence the area of this triangle is 0.5*1*1 = 0.5 sq. units.

all other lines are symmetrical and form 3 more congruent triangles with the axes at different points.
so the total area will be 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 2 sq units.
hope i am clear :)
_________________

CHEERS
fivezero7

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 31
Re: area bounded by the curves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2012, 00:06
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fivezero7 wrote:
anni wrote:
thank you for the reply, is it required to plot these lines and then calculate?
can we get directly i mean is there any formula to solve this problem?
thanks

hi anni,
there is no need to plot it, once you have mastered the art of visualization.
the way i did it is as under.
take x+y=1
it intersects the axes at (1,0) and (0,1) and makes a right angled triangle with the axes with each side (other than the hypotenuse) as 1
hence the area of this triangle is 0.5*1*1 = 0.5 sq. units.

all other lines are symmetrical and form 3 more congruent triangles with the axes at different points.
so the total area will be 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 2 sq units.
hope i am clear :)


Very clear, and amazed to see how much was packed under that question.
But, am curious if there's any other way to solve the problem?
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
Re: area bounded by the curves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2012, 01:24
9
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fortsill wrote:
fivezero7 wrote:
anni wrote:
thank you for the reply, is it required to plot these lines and then calculate?
can we get directly i mean is there any formula to solve this problem?
thanks

hi anni,
there is no need to plot it, once you have mastered the art of visualization.
the way i did it is as under.
take x+y=1
it intersects the axes at (1,0) and (0,1) and makes a right angled triangle with the axes with each side (other than the hypotenuse) as 1
hence the area of this triangle is 0.5*1*1 = 0.5 sq. units.

all other lines are symmetrical and form 3 more congruent triangles with the axes at different points.
so the total area will be 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 2 sq units.
hope i am clear :)


Very clear, and amazed to see how much was packed under that question.
But, am curious if there's any other way to solve the problem?


The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is
A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None

|x+y|=1 represents two lines: x+y=1 and x+y=-1 --> y=1-x and y=-1-x. Find the x and y intercept of these lines to plot;
|x-y|=1 represents two lines: x-y=1 and x-y=-1 --> y=x-1 and y=x+1. Find the x and y intercept of these lines to plot;

Notice that these lines are mirror images of each other. Here is a square you get when you plot them:
Attachment:
Area.gif
Area.gif [ 4.93 KiB | Viewed 36180 times ]
Notice that the diagonal of this square is equal to 2 (the difference between x intercepts). Area of a square is diagonal^2/2=2^2/2=2.

Answer: C.

Check similar questions to practice:
m06-5-absolute-value-108191.html
graphs-modulus-help-86549.html
m06-q5-72817.html
if-equation-encloses-a-certain-region-110053.html
area-of-region-126117.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:17
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is

A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None

please, help how to solve ?


One more method:

solve following equns:

X+Y=1
-X-y=1
X-y=1
-X+y=1

Out put X= +_ 1
Y=+_1

Plot the values of X and Y on graph, you will see the square

Now use pythagoras thm to find diagonal,which will be the side of that square.

= Sqaure root 2

square it and ans will be 2
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 61
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2012, 18:11
the question threw me away when it said "curves" and I started thinking about parabola, It should have said "lines" instead.

@Bunuel,
Does gmat confuses us with this kind of language?

thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 443
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2012, 21:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(1) Derive all equations

|x + y| = 1
eq1: x + y = 1
eq2: x + y = -1

|x - y| = 1
eq3: x - y = 1
eq4: y - x = 1

(2) Plot your graph using x=0 and y=0.

eq1: 0,1 and 1,0
eq2: 0,-1 and -1,0
eq3: 0-1 and 1,0
eq4: 0,-1 and -1,0

(3) You will recognize a region that is a square with a diagonal of 2
(4) Calculate the area.

diagonal = side * \(\sqrt{2}\)
side = \(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}\)
side = \(\sqrt{2}\)

Area = \(side^2\) = \(\sqrt{2}^2\) = \(2\)

For detailed solutions for other similar problems. http://burnoutorbreathe.blogspot.com/2012/12/absolute-values-solving-for-area-of.html
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45498
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 01:44
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Abolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Abolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 195
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 00:06
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and |x - y| = 1 is

A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None


The question seems confusing at first since it said the curves. But if you know how to deal with absolute values, you can come up with the solution pretty quickly.

C
_________________

.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 31
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 05:11
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Abolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Abolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

why only (0,1) (1,0) should only pick? for x+y=1, if i chose (10,-9) then it still become 1, can you please explain me what exactly the method of chosing number while finding area for this type of math
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 387
Location: France
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 06:47
Hi Bunuel, just a question, I am getting confused with this. Can't we just find all the solutions for x and y by using just one equation?
If we take the first equation:
|x + y| = 1
and say that y = 0 then x = 1 or -1
and if x = 0 then y =1 and -1

Would that be incorrect? And if that's the case, what is the difference between this equation |x + y| = 1 and this one |x|+|y|=1
Thanks a lot
_________________

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2734
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 19:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and |x - y| = 1 is

A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None


x+y=1 -> y=-x+1 -> slope -1.
x+y=-1 -> y=-x-1 -> slope -1. we have 2 parallel lines.

x-y=1 -> y=x-1 => slope 1.
x-y=-1 -> y=x+1 -> slope 1. -> we have another 2 parallel lines.

i simply drew the lines, and for the sake of getting the image, try x=1 then y=1 for all the equations.
i got a square like shape, with the points of intersection at (-1; 0); (0; 1); (1; 0); (0; -1)
since the diagonal of the square is the x axis, and it has a length of 2, we can apply the 45-45-90 triangle rule, and see that 2=x*sqrt(2), where x is the side of the square.
the side of the square is sqrt(2). now, we need to find the area -> sqrt(2) squared is equal to 2.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2734
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 19:03
anik19890 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Abolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Abolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

why only (0,1) (1,0) should only pick? for x+y=1, if i chose (10,-9) then it still become 1, can you please explain me what exactly the method of chosing number while finding area for this type of math



you would find more points on THE LINE, but we are asked for the area of the figure when the 4 lines intersect.
the 4 points of intersection are as shown in the figure in bunuel's post.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jun 2016
Posts: 70
Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 08:56
Excellent question...
Tested understanding of Inequalities, Geometry and visualization...
Is it a Q 51 level question?
_________________

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 359
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 07:56
I have a query with the wording of the question
it says : The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1, |x - y| = 1 is
A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None

Based on answers here it appears we consider them as four straight lines (not curves). Curves usually are written by x^2 + y^2 format; but since it said curves I thought it would be circular--> so in case its a non - square in the equation;I assume it to be lines not curves?? Will keep in mind in case I come across such language/ format later
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 504
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:49
Answer is C:

An easy question instead <700 probably

|x+y|=1 , gives 2 equations x+y = + 1 and x+y =-1
|x-y| =1 gives x-y=1 and x-y = -1
we know they will form an enclosed figure on x and y axis.
so directly find the points = put x=0 and y=0
we get (0,1) (0,-1) (1,0) (-1,0)
when u actually plot the distance between opposite points are = 2 on each diogonal which cut at 90 degrees at O , origin
there fore

A = 0.5 D1D2 = 0.5x2x2 = 2 which is C
_________________

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 342
Location: Malaysia
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 21:59
anni wrote:
The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and |x - y| = 1 is

A. 3
B. 4
C. 2
D. 1
E. None


The total Area = \(4*\frac{1}{2}*1*1\)
_________________

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Re: The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 21:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The area bounded by the curves |x + y| = 1 and|x - y| = 1 is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.