Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 13:01 It is currently 13 May 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [3]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [1]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: The article Shock therapy for mental patients will be reviewed continu [#permalink]
Kudos
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
Indeed difficult passage. Can anybody explain the ans of question 2 and 3?

2. The author�s attitude towards ECT is best described as a

Before looking at the choices , we can infer that the Author supports using ECT for mentally depressed patients. His support is reflected through out the passage but he also expressed in the last para the demerits and the need of control in using ECT. Keeping this in mind evaluate the answer choices.

A. determined neutrality He is for ECT. hence worng
B. mild criticism He is not criticizing ECT.
C. wholehearted approbation Not sure what approbation is ? Lets reevaluate this later
D. qualified approval This sounds right in tune with his tone through out the passage
E. laudatory justification He is not just laudatory but also expresses the need of control

3. The author�s makes his point primarily by

Before looking at the answer choices lets reflect on the structure of the passage.
A view point published in an article is presented and a counter viewpoint that the author endorses is presented. The author in the end also expresses what he thinks are the demerits and suggestions to make ECT better.

A. offering a particular authority as a counter-view Seems right
B. attacking one author�s lack of social responsibility Its no where implied
C. criticizing the mindset of medical journalists He is not criticizing the mindset of anyone. simply advocating for ECT by presenting actual information
D. a reasoned discussion of the merits and demerits of a therapy he is discussing the merits of it by presenting a counter view.Hence A seems right
E. offering an objective evaluation This is not an objective evaluation. He presents his viewpoint

If there is a better explanation for Question 3, Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The article Shock therapy for mental patients will be reviewed continu [#permalink]
The article ???Shock therapy for mental patients will be reviewed???
continues the ignorant tradition of demonizing electroconvulsive
therapy (ECT) in the media (the very use of the anachronistic
and misleading phrase ???shock therapy??? is unwarranted) without
5 presenting the compelling reasons for its continued use.

1. It can be inferred that the author believes that the author of the article mentioned in the first line
I fails to question her source material rigorously
-> without 5 presenting the compelling reasons for its continued use
II includes unwarranted matter
-> the very use of the anachronistic and misleading phrase 'shock therapy' is unwarranted
III uses an excess of pejorative terms
-> continues the ignorant tradition
A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. III only
E. I, II and III -> correct

The author criticizes not the ECT itself but its abuse.
There are some effects about ECT itself in 1st paragraph
So the author's attitude towards ECT is approval.

2. The author???s attitude towards ECT is best described as a

A. determined neutrality -> There is no neutrality
B. mild criticism -> The author does not criticize ECT itself.
C. wholehearted approbation -> There is some critic about the abuse of ECT, so it is hard to say wholehearted approbation.
D. qualified approval -> Keep
E. laudatory justification -> Same as C

So D is correct

3. The author???s makes his point primarily by

A. offering a particular authority as a counterview
-> Keep
'I would like to quote to counter their negative 20 emphasis, from Solomon's widely ~ '
B. attacking one author???s lack of social responsibility
-> Not just one author's lack of social responsibility
C. criticizing the mindset of medical journalists
-> Keep
'This is shabby and irresponsible medical journalism'
D. a reasoned discussion of the merits and demerits of a therapy
-> There is no demerits of a therapy.
E. offering an objective evaluation
-> This argument is not objective.
There is an author's argument.

The author's point of view is criticize. So answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad

For Q.no3:

I was also confused with option C, as the author discusses both the merits (in Para 1 and 2) and demerits(Para 3) of the treatment and still supports it.

The point mentioned in option (a) "offering a particular authority as a counterview" is true but only in a part of the passage.

Please shed your thoughts.

Thanks
Debashis Roy
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
SajjadAhmad

For Q.no3:

I was also confused with option C, as the author discusses both the merits (in Para 1 and 2) and demerits(Para 3) of the treatment and still supports it.

The point mentioned in option (a) "offering a particular authority as a counterview" is true but only in a part of the passage.

Please shed your thoughts.

Thanks
Debashis Roy

Correct Answer: A

Explanation:

The author disapproves of a certain article and wishes to urge his readers to examine the issue in the light of other evidence. To counter their negative emphasis the author refers to only one authority Solomon. Hence, he makes his point by offering Solomons book as a counterview. The author himself cannot be shown to be objective and does not do enough to count as a reasoned discussion.

Does this text convinced you? if not, kindly let me know.

Hope it Helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
SajjadAhmad I understood the solution for 3rd ques and I am convinced with the solution but how to eliminate option D
Passage mentions there are indeed some problems(demerits) and merits (75% to 90%... it helps)
Should the mere stating of merits and demerits be considered "reasoned discussion"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
The article Shock therapy for mental patients will be reviewed continu [#permalink]
The OA for question 3 is not very convincing.

While the author does present "a particular authority as a counterview" at one point, relegating the author's entire argument to this classification seems unfair and inaccurate.

For example, it is not clear that chapter two is an appeal to Soloman's authority; what is clear is that chapter two offers a "reasoned discussion of the merits ... of a particular therapy."

The only evidence clearly attributable to Soloman's authority is evidenced in the sentence: "Antidepressants are effective [against major depression] about 50 percent of the time, perhaps a bit more; ECT seems to have some significant impact between 75 and 90 percent of the time." One. Sentence.

Further, chapter three clearly includes evidence from a source that isn't Soloman in the sentence "It would be foolish to deny that the practice is subject to abuse (as Solomon and numerous Indian writers report)."

This OA is highly suspect and, in my opinion, draws the validity of the source strongly into question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14022 posts