GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Jan 2020, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 22:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:59) correct 75% (03:08) wrong based on 111 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60. If the scores of the top five students are not considered, the average score of the remaining students falls by 5. The pass mark was 40 and the maximum mark was 100. It is also known that none of the students failed. If each of the top five scorers had distinct integral scores, the maximum possible score of the topper is

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

V
Re: The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 00:00
GMATantidote wrote:
The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60. If the scores of the top five students are not considered, the average score of the remaining students falls by 5. The pass mark was 40 and the maximum mark was 100. It is also known that none of the students failed. If each of the top five scorers had distinct integral scores, the maximum possible score of the topper is

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60 --> the total score = 10*60 = 600;
The 5 smallest scores have an average of 55 --> the total score of the 5 smallest scores = 275.

From above, the total score of the 5 largest scores = 600 - 275 = 325.

Say the 5 largest scores are a, b, c, d, and e (where a<b<c<d<e, since each of the top five scorers had distinct scores). We want to maximize e. To maximize e, we need to minimize a, b, c, and d. The least value of a, is 55 (The least score of the top 5 , a, should be equal to the highest of the bottom 5 and to minimize the highest of the bottom 5, all scores from the bottom 5 should be equal). In this case the least values of b, c, and d are 56, 57, and 58 respectively:

a + b + c + d + e = 55 + 56 +57 + 58 + e = 325;
e = 99.

Answer: C.
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 00:03
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

If the Maximum mark is 100 as per question, why is there a 103 in the answer choice ?
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 04:00
Senthil1981 wrote:
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

If the Maximum mark is 100 as per question, why is there a 103 in the answer choice ?

Just to confuse those who do not read the question properly. :-D
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 06:33
Can a be 55? Or can it start from 56 only? That's what I was not sure about

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 06:39
ProfX wrote:
Can a be 55? Or can it start from 56 only? That's what I was not sure about

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Look at Bunuel 's explanation above. It has to be 55 to make e the max.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 07:18
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

Hi,
Another method although logic is same as rhat used by Bunuel

If the value of all other except the largest is 55..
Largest will be 60*10-55*9=600-495=105..

However the top 5 are distinct and the smallest of these can be 55, so remaining THREE will be 1,2,&3 more so total combined value will be 1+2+3 or 6 more..
Therefore the largest will be 6 less than max possible..... 105-6=99
C
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 08:13
Bunuel wrote:
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60 --> the total score = 10*60 = 600;
The 5 smallest scores have an average of 55 --> the total score of the 5 smallest scores = 275.

Say the 5 largest scores are a, b, c, d, and e (where a<b<c<d<e, since each of the top five scorers had distinct scores). We want to maximize e. To maximize e, we need to minimize a, b, c, and d. The least value of a, is 55 (The least score of the top 5 , a, should be equal to the highest of the bottom 5 and to minimize the highest of the bottom 5, all scores from the bottom 5 should be equal). In this case the least values of b, c, and d are 56, 57, and 58 respectively:

e = 99.

If the average of least 5 scores is 55, then is it allowed to have a score of 55 (a) in the top 5 set ?
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 11:07
Senthil1981 wrote:
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

May be to help the test takers by setting up the easiest answer choice to eliminate or for those who don't bother reading the question during time crunch. :-D
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 04:58
Bunuel wrote:
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

e = 99.

Dear "Bunuel",

I have confusion on you solution.

The 5 smallest scores has an average of 55. For example: they could score 53,54,55,56,57 with total 275. In way of minimizing the the top 5 scores, you assumed that the lowest score is 55. However, in my example above, there at least 2 scores from the 5 smallest scores is larger that 2 scores in second group of top scores. Hence, I believe the smallest scores should not be 55, otherwise there are students in smallest group score higher than 2 students in top scores.

Where I go wrong?

Thanks
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 05:07
Mo2men wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
GMATantidote wrote:

A) 87

B) 95

C) 99

D) 100

E) 103

e = 99.

Dear "Bunuel",

I have confusion on you solution.

The 5 smallest scores has an average of 55. For example: they could score 53,54,55,56,57 with total 275. In way of minimizing the the top 5 scores, you assumed that the lowest score is 55. However, in my example above, there at least 2 scores from the 5 smallest scores is larger that 2 scores in second group of top scores. Hence, I believe the smallest scores should not be 55, otherwise there are students in smallest group score higher than 2 students in top scores.

Where I go wrong?

Thanks

Since, we need to find the maximum possible score of the topper, we need to make sure that the 5th person from the top should have the least score. So, if the average of last 5 is 275 and if we take all of those scores as 55, we can have the minimum value of the 5th also as 55. Hence, We need to take all the last 6 students to have a score of 55 so that we can maximize the topper student score. I hope it is clear now.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 02:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2019, 02:18

The average score in an examination of 10 students of a class is 60

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics