GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 21:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (00:22) correct 30% (00:26) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding sports, it combines the endurance of cross country skiing with the precision of expert marksmanship.

A) sports, it combines

B) sports; that combines

C) sports; it combines

D) sports, where they combine

E) sports in which they combine
Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 21:44
A) has the comma splice issue - no conjunction to join to 2 sentences just a comma,which alone is inadequate to combine 2 sentences.

B) the semi colon is used to join 2 complete sentences or independent clauses. Here the second part of the sentence {;that... } is not a independent clause

C) is grammatically and logically correct

D and E use pronoun they without and clear antecedent, causing ambiguity. Pronoun error. Also the use of 'where' is incorrect. It is used to refer to a physical/metaphorical place

C it is

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 12:17
Independent Clause + Independent Clause  joined by a semiColon
Independent Clause + Independent Clause  joined by a Comma & FANBOYS
Independent Clause + Dependent Clause  with or without comma
Dependent Clause + Independent Clause  Joined by Comma

C

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 21:13
The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding sports, it combines the endurance of cross country skiing with the precision of expert marksmanship.

In this question it's quite easy to eliminate a few answer choices in one sweep. Semicolons, not commas, precede independent clauses. Therefore we can eliminate A, D, and E.

B) sports; that combines we could use "that" without the semicolon but that would changing the meaning of the sentence. It would mean that of the world's most demanding sports that combines ..., the biathlon is one.

C) sports; it combines
Intern
Intern
Schools: Alberta FT '16
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
Re: The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding[u] sports, it combin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 06:06
I know that the correct answer is C but could somebody explain me what the meaning of the sentence would become if that is used (without a semicolon)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Re: The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding[u] sports, it combin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 07:24
A semicolon is most commonly used to link (in a single sentence) two independent clauses that are closely related in thought.

If that is used in the second sentence, we do not know what that is referring to and also the sentences are not independent clauses.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 22:21
mikemcgarry
Please help me out.
I had a one doubt regarding the use of semicolons. Actually I also wanted to choose C but instead chose A because in option A we have an antecedent of "it".
Yes ,I agree that we will use a semi colon as here 2 independent clauses are used
But don't we require an antecedent for a pronoun used in the second clause???

Please shed some light on this, regarding the second clause which is related to the first one joined with a semicolon.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:37
freddie1987 wrote:
I know that the correct answer is C but could somebody explain me what the meaning of the sentence would become if that is used (without a semicolon)

The usage of semi-colon works just like a period. With a semi-colon, the two clauses can alone form a complete sentence.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 13:00
Top Contributor
Quote:
Freddie

Perhaps, you want to know whether the following will be correct, right?

The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding sports that combines the endurance of cross country skiing with the precision of expert marksmanship.

You might see that the phrase 'sports that combines' is an SV error. Perhaps one might argue that the restrictive relative pronoun 'that' may refer to the singular biathlon. But it would not make a valid argument. Firstly because the restrictive pronoun limit its reference to what is in front except in rare cases when there is no proper noun to antecede. Secondly, that argument also implies illogically that biathlon is the only one demanding sport in the whole world.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding[u] sports, it combin &nbs [#permalink] 13 Feb 2017, 13:00

The biathlon is one of the world’s most demanding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap