Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [58]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [27]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [6]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The cameras of the Voyager II spacecraft detected six small previously [#permalink]
Kudos
eliminate sentences using which as it doesnot refer to a noun before it..

known to orbit is better than known as orbitting..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 12-31-2012
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Re: The cameras of the Voyager II spacecraft detected six small previously [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 B
A, C, E are incorrect as "which" doesn't refer to a noun.
D: known "as orbiting.." is awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 1323
GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Kudos
lahoosaher wrote:
The cameras of the Voyager II spacecraft detected six small, previously unseen moons circling Uranus, which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet.
(A) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(B) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known to orbit
(C) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known in orbit around
(D) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(E) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known that orbit
[spoiler]B[/spoiler]

Cross off A, C and E right away because the usage of "which" modifies Uranus.
Known as orbiting is wordy and awkward

Correct answer B - 54 secs :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
mikemcgarry carcass GMATNinjaTwo chetan2u

If the sentence excluded the part ~previously unseen moons circling Uranus~ then in that case the usage of WHICH would have been correct? Am i right as then the use of which would directly refer to the the cameras.

Please ignore the meaning of the sentence, i just want my doubt of using WHICH to be clarified here.

Please help here.

Thanks in advance
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:
mikemcgarry carcass GMATNinjaTwo chetan2u

If the sentence excluded the part ~previously unseen moons circling Uranus~ then in that case the usage of WHICH would have been correct? Am i right as then the use of which would directly refer to the the cameras.

Please ignore the meaning of the sentence, i just want my doubt of using WHICH to be clarified here.

Please help here.

Thanks in advance

hi..

let me clear the modifier issue than will get back to the specific Q..

1) The modifier which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet. has to modify the entire outcome of the previous clause and NOT cameras. That is WHY we require an ING modifier..
2) Now to the Q of using WHICH, it is completely wrong here. But say for some reason you wanted this to modify CAMERA then the modifier has to be placed next to the prepositional modifier as shown below..

The camera of Voyager, WHICH........,
here the modifier can modify camera or voyager depending on what the modifier talks of and is CORRECT
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:

Please help here.

Thanks in advance

Dear siddyj94,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I see that my brilliant colleague chetan2u already gave a good response. I will just add a couple more thoughts.

The word "which" is a pronoun, a relative pronoun. As with any pronoun, the antecedent must be a noun. Thus, a clause beginning with "which" must be noun modifying clause, an adjectival clause. It never can modify a verb or an action.

Here, what "doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known"? It's not the "camera," the noun. It's the action of "detecting." It's always a classic GMAT SC mistake when a sentence uses a pronoun to refer to an action.

Now, let's be clear about proper terminology. What people call the "-ing modifier" is properly known as the present participle. I believe that it's sloppy to refer to this as the "-ing form," because it leads to confusion between the role of participles and that of gerunds. See:
The –ing Form of a Verb

Participles are truly extraordinary because they can function either as noun modifiers or verb modifiers. Noun modifiers are subject to the Modifier Touch Rule, but verb modifiers are considerably more free in their placement. Thus, the intervening phrase "previously seen orbiting Uranus" is irrelevant and makes no difference to the modification in the sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Kudos
egmat

Shouldn't the -ing verb modifier make sense with the noun of the sentence ?

Eg. Joe became the CEO of the company, increasing his pay substantially- Joe didnt increase his pay, so the sentence can be written as
Joe became the CEO of the company, an event that increased his pay substantially.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
PearlRay wrote:
egmat

Eg. Joe became the CEO of the company, increasing his pay substantially- Joe didnt increase his pay, so the sentence can be written as
Joe became the CEO of the company, an event that increased his pay substantially.

I don't know what you're asking but here I can help you if you want

The "which" kind of refers to Uranus in the question

We donot want that, we want to refer to the action hence we went on in ing form the only acceptable form

Now, as for as orbiting v to orbit

"TO Orbit" is an infinitive and is idiomatically correct

However "AS Orbiting" suggests that moons have a different name and is awkward

Look at this construction

Moons are known to orbit the planet

v

Moons are known as orbiting planet

the latter suggests that Moon are known by the name orbiting planet
However, it is clearly an action hence the infinitive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
PearlRay wrote:
egmat

For a better understanding of this topic, though it involves lot of literature, You can refer to this link for same question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ing-mod ... l#p1214284

i suggest don't go in so much grammer and rules, Have learnt from test takers who have given recently that GMAT is testing more of meaning and logic rather than these crammed rules. They can help you eliminate 1-2 options not more.

---------------------------
Kudos if you find it helpful
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
(A) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(1) What “doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet?” The camera’s detection. The “which” clause seems to be modifying “Uranus.” This is illogical. “Uranus” did not double to twelve the number of satellites; (2) “known as” vs. “known to”; “known as” = named – e.g., “We know him AS “Reggie.” – correct; “We known her AS brilliant.” – incorrect [TY @MGMAT]

(B) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known to orbit
Best option

(C) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known in orbit around
(1) What “doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet?” The camera’s detection. The “which” clause seems to be modifying “Uranus.” This is illogical. “Uranus” did not double to twelve the number of satellites; (2) “in orbit around” is redundant

(D) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(1) “known as” vs. “known to”; “known as” = named – e.g., “We know him AS “Reggie.” – correct; “We known her AS brilliant.” – incorrect [TY @MGMAT]

(E) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known that orbit
(1) What “doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet?” The camera’s detection. The “which” clause seems to be modifying “Uranus.” This is illogical. “Uranus” did not double to twelve the number of satellites.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts