GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 00:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:31) correct 21% (01:37) wrong based on 51 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which is caused by the exhaust fumes of cars. In order to reduce the number of cars on the road, the government is raising taxes on the cost of buying and running a car by 20 percent. This tax increase, therefore, will significantly reduce air pollution in Maravia.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The government of Maravia is in the process of building a significant number of roadways.

(B) Maravia is an oil-producing country and is able to refine an amount of gasoline sufficient for the needs of its population.

(C) Maravia has had an excellent public transportation system for many years.

(D) Ninety percent of the population of Maravia is very prosperous and has a substantial amount of disposable income.

(E) In Maravia, cars that emit relatively low levels of pollutants cost 10 percent less to operate, on average, than do cars that emit high levels of pollutants.

B
GMAT Date: 10-02-2015
Re: The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:11
Options C and D look very close. But on close examination, i will Go with option D as The answer.

The argument is that 80% of pollution comes from automobiles, and by increasing the taxes by 20%,people will buy fewer cars, or reduce the use of thier personal car..

From option C- if Maravia had an excellent transport system for years, then increasing the tax on automobile use will indirectly push consumers to the public trasport system, and the government will achieve its objective. This strengthens the argument.

But option D says that 90% of the population are prosperous and have a substantial amount of disposable income ..
This fact weakens the argument in the sense that even If the tax is increased, they all still be able to pay, and will not in anyway abandon thier vehicles.

Answer : Option D.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 02:00
Bunuel wrote:
The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which is caused by the exhaust fumes of cars. In order to reduce the number of cars on the road, the government is raising taxes on the cost of buying and running a car by 20 percent. This tax increase, therefore, will significantly reduce air pollution in Maravia.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The government of Maravia is in the process of building a significant number of roadways.
(B) Maravia is an oil-producing country and is able to refine an amount of gasoline sufficient for the needs of its population.
(C) Maravia has had an excellent public transportation system for many years.
(D) Ninety percent of the population of Maravia is very prosperous and has a substantial amount of disposable income.
(E) In Maravia, cars that emit relatively low levels of pollutants cost 10 percent less to operate, on average, than do cars that emit high levels of pollutants.

My thought-
Conclusion - tax increase will reduce the Air pollution
Situation - Weaken
Pre think -
1. Tax increase will not help in reducing the pollution.
a. May be the tax is on new cars and Maravia population drives old cars
b. May be the people will still buy cars because public transport is bad.

Let's see the options
a. Highway increase does not affect the pollution problem.
b.Out of Scope
c. That is good but no link to show that people will use it. Moreover, may be public transport can
d. more disposable income means ready to spend more, may be they will somehow fail the plan.. NOT SURE OF THE LINK
e. This choice remains.

So now, I selected E and marked this choice in 2 min 50 seconds.. I am not sure how E weakens.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 02:41
philmat wrote:
Options C and D look very close. But on close examination, i will Go with option D as The answer.

The argument is that 80% of pollution comes from automobiles, and by increasing the taxes by 20%,people will buy fewer cars, or reduce the use of thier personal car..

Exactly my thought process. However, I slightly differed when I came across the words transportation system for many years in option C. This means the factor of transportation is NOT changing, its a constant.

Also in the passage it says 80 percent of which is caused by the exhaust fumes of cars. Notice fumes of CAR causes pollution. Public transportation consists mainly of trains and buses. You can only consider cars as public transport when they are for e.g. "share taxis".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 02:41

The country of Maravia has severe air pollution, 80 percent of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics