Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [47]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard [#permalink]
Here, it is important to properly comprehend the meaning of the sentence as there are multiple grammatically options.

It was the crash in Brent crude prices that had the ripple effect and not the oil fields as indicated by choice C, which is also grammatically correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Re: The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard [#permalink]
sahilvijay wrote:
The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard on jobs in the U.S. mining sector, including support services in oil fields that had ripple effects on construction and manufacturing, partly because American companies make much of the world’s mining equipment.

A) including support services in oil fields that had
B) which includes support services in oil fields, and had
C) which includes support services in oil fields that had
D) and support services in oil fields had
E) and support services in oil fields, which had

I thought ", which" is referring to the U.S mining sector and not Jobs.......Support services to be taken as a type of Job or part of the Sector????
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
I chose E - Meaning. Not sure by why B would be the right answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [4]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tanvi94 wrote:
I chose E - Meaning. Not sure by why B would be the right answer

Hi ,

The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard on jobs in the U.S. mining sector, including support services in oil fields that had ripple effects on construction and manufacturing, partly because American companies make much of the world’s mining equipment.

This is case of improper conjunction in the sentence .
Here subject of the sentence is The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 .
There are two independent sentences in the sentence they are :
1 The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard on jobs in the U.S. mining sector
2 had ripple effects on construction and manufacturing, partly because American companies make much of the world’s mining equipment.

In between these two sentence we have a modifier .
Now think about why A cant be the answer that in A refers to oil fields and it is the oil fields that had ripple effects .Clearly this is wrong it was crash .
B is correct as it gives proper conjunction and to connect two independent clauses and modifier is correctly placed

C again has problem with that and meaning is not clear .

D is a disaster as it does not have subject for verb had and it seems to imply that oil fields is the subject but it can not be as it is in prepositional clause
on jobs in the U.S. mining sector and support services in oil fields had

E is wrong as meaning is not clear .which refers to oil fields and it suggest that effects were due to oil fields.

Personally i also struggle with these kinds of sentences. The best possible way to solve these questions to read the both the sentences one by one with subject and see whether it makes sense .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40 (Online)
Send PM
how can B be the answer?
if we use and after a comma , we have to specify the subject , which is clearly missing in B
Isn't option C correct here ?
GMATNinja egmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
HI ,

How come "includes" is correct in option B . Shouldn't it be include agreeing with "Jobs" , because jobs include support services not U.S. mining sector. VeritasKarishma please help here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
HI ,

How come "includes" is correct in option B . Shouldn't it be include agreeing with "Jobs" , because jobs include support services not U.S. mining sector. VeritasKarishma please help here.

The crash... was particularly hard on jobs in the U.S. mining sector, which includes support services in oil fields,

"which" refers to the US mining sector (singular), the noun immediately preceding which. The US mining sector includes support services in oil fields.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
The US mining sector includes support services in oil fields? I think we need to revisit the difference between mining and oil 🤔

A definite meaning issue with B and C…

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V19
Send PM
The crash in Brent crude prices in 2014 and 2015 was particularly hard [#permalink]
sahilvijay wrote:

I COULD BE WRONG BUT HAVE TO ASK:

QUESTION: In option B, shouldn't there be "that" after "and" and before "had" ? Since we need to clearly state that the crash that caused huge impact on the jobs in the US mining sector; and that same crash caused the repel effect isn't it?

Because without "that", the sentence sounds as if the crash made a huge impact on US mining sector's jobs that includes support services as well. However, and had repel effects looks like a separate sentence that looks more like a statement.

For eg: I believe that India will win the world cup and "that" Eagles will win in next year's NFL. (Here: Unless that is not used, the Eagles will win the next year's NFL part looks like an independent prediction not my believe) isn't it ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AP95 wrote:
sahilvijay wrote:

I COULD BE WRONG BUT HAVE TO ASK:

QUESTION: In option B, shouldn't there be "that" after "and" and before "had" ? Since we need to clearly state that the crash that caused huge impact on the jobs in the US mining sector; and that same crash caused the repel effect isn't it?

Because without "that", the sentence sounds as if the crash made a huge impact on US mining sector's jobs that includes support services as well. However, and had repel effects looks like a separate sentence that looks more like a statement.

For eg: I believe that India will win the world cup and "that" Eagles will win in next year's NFL. (Here: Unless that is not used, the Eagles will win the next year's NFL part looks like an independent prediction not my believe) isn't it ?

Hello AP95,

We hope this find you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can resolve your doubt.

There is no need to include "that" after "and" in this sentence. The structure of the sentence is basically that "The crash...was particularly hard...and...had ripple effects..."; "was particularly hard" and "had ripple effects" are two verb phrases joined in a list by "and", both acting on the noun "The crash".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
comma + ing rule does not apply to including. Then why A] is incorrect

in B] is usage of comma before 'and' correct?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
comma + ing rule does not apply to including. Then why A] is incorrect

in B] is usage of comma before 'and' correct?

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option A, "that had" incorrectly modifies "support services in oil fields", incorrectly implying that support services had ripple effects on construction and manufacturing; the intended meaning is that the crash in Brent crude prices had ripple effects on construction and manufacturing.

Further, in Option B, the comma before "and" does not form an Oxford comma ("comma + and"), rather it is part of a pair of commas that offset a phrase conveying extra information - "which includes support services in oil fields".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts