It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1078

Kudos [?]: 661 [2], given: 70

Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 05:51
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:02) correct 56% (01:47) wrong based on 295 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

A. An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
B. A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
C. A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
D. A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
E. An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.


[Reveal] Spoiler:
Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

OA will be posted after discussion!!

Archit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 19 Sep 2017, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 661 [2], given: 70

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 60

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:04
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.


Claim by the company--> The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today
Option D-"danger of suffocation" label clearly attacks this claim , So option D should be the answer


If you learnt anything from my post, Press KUDOS
After all, KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community. :-D

Last edited by aditya111 on 19 Feb 2013, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 47

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 2

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:54
Archit143 wrote:
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.


Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

OA will be posted after discussion!!

Archit


Between option D and E,

I feel that Option D is just a warning message. The warning does not undermine the conclusion that Dear One is the safest carrier available.

IMO :- Option E is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 2

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3372

Kudos [?]: 9285 [0], given: 1168

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:22

Kudos [?]: 9285 [0], given: 1168

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 75

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 200

Premium Member
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:03
Archit143 wrote:
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.


Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

OA will be posted after discussion!!

Archit


I think option E is the correct answer. Because it directly contradicts the claim made in the manufacturer.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 200

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1078

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 70

Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 01:30
I have posted the OA....Pls explain why do not you consider D as the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 70

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:25
Archit143 wrote:
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.



CHOICE E, An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats, directly undermines the statement made by the company that the baby carrier would work as a car seat and would reduce the overall risk. The pediatrician's statement suggests that after conversion to car seat, the child is at a larger risk.

CHOICE D, A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier, subtly provides the user with information which can be used to keep the baby safe.



Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :idea:
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1078

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 70

Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:33
UmangMathur wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.



CHOICE E, An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats, directly undermines the statement made by the company that the baby carrier would work as a car seat and would reduce the overall risk. The pediatrician's statement suggests that after conversion to car seat, the child is at a larger risk.

CHOICE D, A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier, subtly provides the user with information which can be used to keep the baby safe.



Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :idea:

There are three ways discussed in which the carrier protects the baby , hence undermining anyone would do the job....Even Option E just undermines only the car seat part. but when you focus on Option D it clearly states the negative aspect present in the product. Hence can be very well considered as weakening answers.....

Archit

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 70

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 03:56
Archit143 wrote:
UmangMathur wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.



CHOICE E, An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats, directly undermines the statement made by the company that the baby carrier would work as a car seat and would reduce the overall risk. The pediatrician's statement suggests that after conversion to car seat, the child is at a larger risk.

CHOICE D, A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier, subtly provides the user with information which can be used to keep the baby safe.



Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :idea:

There are three ways discussed in which the carrier protects the baby , hence undermining anyone would do the job....Even Option E just undermines only the car seat part. but when you focus on Option D it clearly states the negative aspect present in the product. Hence can be very well considered as weakening answers.....

Archit


Consider the following from the question

the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. - The interior pad states, only comfort and not anything on security

The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants - Once again the interior design talks of comfort test - Nothing on safety.

best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another. - The author states that the BEST of all is the conversion from an at-large carrier to a car seat and what all risks it eliminates. Choice E would directly negate the biggest positive point of the product.

I guess, had choice E not been there, D would have been the answer, but in this case, E comes out to be the best choice.

Hope this helps you.
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 33

Location: India
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 04:21
The most important skill that will help in CR is pre-thinking. Reasoning and pre-thinking skills can be improved by "proper" practice.

There could be multiple ways to weaken the given argument. The below kind of reasoning should come to our mind in pre-thinking.

1. The new material can be allergic to certain skin types. Then it cannot be said to be safe for all kids.
2. the new material can become brittle on long exposure to sunlight. This feature might ve not been tested in manufacturing phase and hence it is not safe as the material becomes brittle.

Now going thro' the options we can see that the option E, which says that the USP of converting to Car Seat compromises on Safety.
Hence E weakens the argument.
_________________

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.



Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:47
I am not sure of the answer. My first impression was D but reading all the arguments i think i kind of agree that E is the correct answer. Just wanted to ask " the comments from the company is rather a firm indication of any problem " than the pedestrian. This whole idea made me think of D. Is this understanding wrong ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2013, 02:28
manishthe wrote:
I am not sure of the answer. My first impression was D but reading all the arguments i think i kind of agree that E is the correct answer. Just wanted to ask " the comments from the company is rather a firm indication of any problem " than the pedestrian. This whole idea made me think of D. Is this understanding wrong ?


What you are thinking is correct, but what weakens the Choice D is that, we need to consider lot many points and need to put efforts to defend it. Moreover, no where has the company suggested that the interior part is for safety, they have only boasted of it as a part of comfort.

Where as E is directly negating the biggest positive point of the product.

Hope this helps you... :-)
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 84

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 79 [1], given: 58

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 03:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.

A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.

A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.

A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.

An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.

Kudos [?]: 79 [1], given: 58

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 03:14
I have a problem with the OA here.
Even if true, it just means that some pediatrician (maybe from a rival company?) said that there are problems.
Option D however, shows that the manufacturer himself is aware that there is a safety concern.
Please can someone help reconcile this?

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 04:24
Hi ron34,

This is a nice question.

First, remember that in a weakener question, the correct answer need not destroy the conclusion completely. The purpose would be well served if it is enough to hurt the argument by raising doubts over the conclusion posited by the argument in some way.

Now, in option E, you are right in stating that the pediatrician may be patronizing a rival firm. However, this is just an assumption you are making. Even if it actually were the case, the pediatrician may very well have a strong point on the basis of genuine evidence, and his claim need not be grounded just because he is on the rival’s side.

So mate, as you see there are a host of UNWARRANTED assumptions that need to be made while forming an accurate judgment of the Baby Carrier under question just on the basis of the pediatrician’s claim. The purpose of this weakener is not to form an accurate judgment as it would either establish the manufacturer’s claim by proving the pediatrician wrong or destroy it completely by proving the latter right.

So to serve my purpose, I rather discount these UNWARRANTED assumptions. The best this option E does is that it definitely raises concerns over the safety claims made by the manufacturers, which would in future prompt regulatory (I guess traffic authorities) to dig into details, scurry over facts pertaining to safety guidelines, technical aspects relating to shock bearing capacity of these baby carriers when acting as car seats, etc…etc. to prove whether the pediatrician is right or wrong.

Going to option D. This statement is a scope shift, where the scope of argument pertains to conversion of Dear One baby-carriers into car seats as a reliably safe measure. Option D does state a safety aspect but under an entirely different context. There is no hint in the stimulus stating that the conversion of baby-carriers to car seats would impact bedding adversely.

Hence, option E stands correct.

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 04:56
Quote:
Going to option D. This statement is a scope shift,where the scope of argument pertains to conversion of Dear One baby-carriers into car seats as a reliably safe measure. Option D does state a safety aspect but under an entirely different context. There is no hint in the stimulus stating that the conversion of baby-carriers to car seats would impact bedding adversely.


this does not seem correct . why you are assuming that the argument is just about "conversion of Dear One baby-carriers into car seats a reliably safe measure"? the arguments is about : "The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today" .It would be wrong to read the argument in isolation
the arguments explicitly states that: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today AND then goes on to elaborate with lot of BLAH BLAH explanation. the part you have quoted is one such example that demonstrates the "safe" nature of "dear one baby carriers"

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 10:08
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
Going to option D. This statement is a scope shift,where the scope of argument pertains to conversion of Dear One baby-carriers into car seats as a reliably safe measure. Option D does state a safety aspect but under an entirely different context. There is no hint in the stimulus stating that the conversion of baby-carriers to car seats would impact bedding adversely.


this does not seem correct . why you are assuming that the argument is just about "conversion of Dear One baby-carriers into car seats a reliably safe measure"? the arguments is about : "The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today" .It would be wrong to read the argument in isolation
the arguments explicitly states that: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today AND then goes on to elaborate with lot of BLAH BLAH explanation. the part you have quoted is one such example that demonstrates the "safe" nature of "dear one baby carriers"



Hi aditya8062,
First of all, I must say that I have been observing the way you analyze verbal questions and I really like it….Thanks for responding…

Anyways back to our question….

I do agree that the 1st sentence as noted by you is the conclusion…and indeed the main conclusion. However, the author mentions an example (carrier-to-car seat conversion) in the last sentence of the passage in order to assert that Dear One Baby carriers MAY BE (usage of ‘perhaps’ in the beginning) considered the best and need not actually be the best as they are relatively easy to convert and reduce the risk of harm to babies. The bold part is a claim made by the author. We are supposed to weaken this claim by providing additional evidence, according to the question stem (Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf (by the author) of the Dear One Baby Carrier?). Hence, the main conclusion of the argument is actually besides the point to be addressed.

Now, option D in no way provides evidence to undermine this claim of safety made by the author. Option D talks about a precautionary label used by manufacturers to warn users that there is a potential threat from bedding suffocation. There is no claim made by the author regarding whether such bedding issues actually result in endangering the security of babies.

In short, the option D fails to address the point raised by the question stem and this is what I meant by scope shift because it falls beyond the scope of what is being asked. Even though the purported argument raised by the author is what you have noted, the argument under consideration is in relevance to the question stem (“claim of safety made by author”) only, and hence the discussion about carrier-to-car seat conversion as a reliably safe measure in my earlier post

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 21:56
itzmyzone911:
Quote:
We are supposed to weaken this claim by providing additional evidence, according to the question stem (Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf (by the author) of the Dear One Baby Carrier?). Hence, the main conclusion of the argument is actually besides the point to be addressed.


i have underlined the portion in your text to make it clear as how this interpretation can be done. when we are talking about "claim to safety" (as done in the argument) then it will include not just the "conversion" factor but also everything that has been said about the safe nature of this thing viz : The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another-------------->i have underlined all the "safety aspects" of this "gadget" .

NOW when the argument is asking is asking to undermine "claim to safety" made in the argument then the answer choice can describe as how any of these aspects is not "really safe" .

To be very honest i am not bothered about this question for 1 reason
1) it is not from gmat prep

making a tough gmat question does not mean that to make the questions that are open to contention. in fact i will tell u some thing (which RON once told me): even in gmat prep the questions are put to testing mode and they are tested to an extent that there is no loop hole in the argument.

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 14:08
Very nice. Thanks guys.
I just hope that on D-Day I will notice these subtleties....

Whilst I already have some sharp people on this thread... Can you have a look here at one of my other posts and give your inputs?

Thanks!

which-of-the-following-is-most-like-the-ceos-plan-in-logical-structur-185573.html#p1420954

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 22:36
aditya8062 wrote:
itzmyzone911:
Quote:
To be very honest i am not bothered about this question for 1 reason
1) it is not from gmat prep

making a tough gmat question does not mean that to make the questions that are open to contention. in fact i will tell u some thing (which RON once told me): even in gmat prep the questions are put to testing mode and they are tested to an extent that there is no loop hole in the argument.


Look mate…I seriously don’t understand your point, whether you disagree with my line of reasoning, or with the OA, or with the question itself. Kindly convey your reasoning as to what IS the correct line of reasoning to the answer if you agree that it is THE ANSWER, instead of nitpicking at my method of reasoning. And, if you indeed do not agree with the answer, let me know what you selected (with your explanation, pl. don’t say that you found the question faulty)

Second, the fact that you are not bothered with this question just because it isn’t from GMAT prep does little to add value to the main issue being contested as to what is the OA and why it is so….Seriously, if that were the case, then the very idea of relying on non-GMAT prep resources is flawed. Let’s not even give a second look to such questions which we perceive as faulty just because we do not agree with the OA.

The best thing in such a scenario would be to summon the GC moderators, as I see the source is GC tests and ask them for the OE, rather than lock horns over such a trivial issue.

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 86

Re: The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2014, 22:36

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.