GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 11:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:56) correct 35% (00:56) wrong based on 326 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota, drew adventurers and created economic competition, leading to violence that claimed as many as 100 lives
A) leading to violence that claimed as many as 100 lives
B) leading to violence that claimed as much as 100 lives
C) with the effect of violence that claimed as much as 100 lives
D) with the effect that violence claimed as many as 100 lives lost
E) and led to violence that claimed as many as 100 lives

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013
Re: The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:01
farhanc85 wrote:
The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota, drew adventurers and created economic competition, leading to violence that claimed as many as 100 lives

I think E is the right answer as led and claimed in second form...many is used for number

Can any one explain me why A is the right answer please?

Thanks!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:14
anilvb wrote:
farhanc85 wrote:

I think E is the right answer as led and claimed in second form...many is used for number

Thanks!!

Hi Anil,

I agree with you on this one. Posting the OE but I am not entirely convinced with it. If anyone can explain in a better way please help.

Always consider how the underlined portion functions in the complete sentence. Here, the underlined portion of the sentence modifies the action expressed in the sentence.. Is the modifier logically placed? In this case, yes— "leading to violence" follows the verbs "drew" and "created" and is correctly placed. Something else we notice is the phrase "as many as." We know that "many" and "much" are often confused in writing. "Many" applies to things that can be counted, while "much" applies to things that cannot be counted. In this sentence, "many" refers to lives lost, which can be counted, so the usage is correct. There does not seem to be an error in this sentence.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

Before we mark (A) as the correct answer, let’s verify our analysis by looking at the other options. Choices (B) and (C) use the phrase "as much as" rather than "as many as." Choices (C), (D), and (E) all begin with a word or words other than "leading."

Eliminate Choices Until Only One Remains:

Since we have already determined that "as many as" correctly modifies "lives," we can rule out choices (B) and (C) immediately. Choice (D) is wordy, replacing the concise "leading to" with "with the effect that" and repeating the same idea by using both "claimed" and "lost." Choice (E) is incorrect because, when we integrate it into the entire sentence, we see that the placement of "and" is incorrect. The sentence would have to read "drew adventurers, created economic competition, and led to violence" for (E) to be correct. Thus, we confirm that Choice (A) is, indeed, the correct answer.

Cheers
Farhan

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (S)
GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:17
ok...so here you go!

A is correct- ",verb -ing" is used to present the result of the action in the preceding clause- as in this case "...created the economic competition"resulted in violence...ok?
then 'that'is used correctly to modify the "violence"as the subject of "that clause"...then as many as is used because lives are countable and cannot use much-used for uncountable nouns...so no error...!

Gotcha?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 16:53
Question is what led to violence - Discovery of gold or economic competion. E is saying Dicovery of gold where original sentence is saying economic competition... A is correct.
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 18:14
farhanc85 wrote:
anilvb wrote:
farhanc85 wrote:

Thanks!!

Hi Anil,

I agree with you on this one. Posting the OE but I am not entirely convinced with it. If anyone can explain in a better way please help.

Always consider how the underlined portion functions in the complete sentence. Here, the underlined portion of the sentence modifies the action expressed in the sentence.. Is the modifier logically placed? In this case, yes— "leading to violence" follows the verbs "drew" and "created" and is correctly placed. Something else we notice is the phrase "as many as." We know that "many" and "much" are often confused in writing. "Many" applies to things that can be counted, while "much" applies to things that cannot be counted. In this sentence, "many" refers to lives lost, which can be counted, so the usage is correct. There does not seem to be an error in this sentence.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

Before we mark (A) as the correct answer, let’s verify our analysis by looking at the other options. Choices (B) and (C) use the phrase "as much as" rather than "as many as." Choices (C), (D), and (E) all begin with a word or words other than "leading."

Eliminate Choices Until Only One Remains:

Since we have already determined that "as many as" correctly modifies "lives," we can rule out choices (B) and (C) immediately. Choice (D) is wordy, replacing the concise "leading to" with "with the effect that" and repeating the same idea by using both "claimed" and "lost." Choice (E) is incorrect because, when we integrate it into the entire sentence, we see that the placement of "and" is incorrect. The sentence would have to read "drew adventurers, created economic competition, and led to violence" for (E) to be correct. Thus, we confirm that Choice (A) is, indeed, the correct answer.

Hi farhanc and anil.

This questions is about the usage of Verb-ing modifier.

Correct. "Verb-ing" + comma ==> modify preceding clause (tell you the result or provide more information)

Wrong. "100 lives" is countable ==> "as much as" is wrong.

Wrong. "with the effect" is not as good as "leading to" which is correct and more concise. In addition. "as much as" is incorrect.

Wrong. "that" modifies "effect", not "violence". In addition. the structure "with the effect that violence claimed..." is very ungrammatical (the better one is "with the effect of violence that claimed ....")

Wrong. "and" is parallel marker, but the main parallel structure is not "drew...and created...and led" <== wrong. The second part only provides additional information for the preceding part ==> Verb-ing modifier is correct.

Hope it helps.

For more information about "Verb-ing modifier", please see:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 20:40
Thanks Akhil and Pqhai. Its clear now

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 01:23
It's a modifier question, Leading correctly modify the preceding clause. Hence, C, D and E out. Among A and B, B uses as much as for describing 100 lives that is countable. Hence, It's incorrect. Now, remain A that is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 01:23

The discovery of gold near Deadwood, South Dakota

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap