GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 15:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

     November 23, 2018

     November 23, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 322
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jul 2016, 22:34
7
The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving a product's quality will create such an advantage. Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment. If a company is already competitive with others in the market in providing a product that is satisfactory to customers and avoids a negative reputation, then investment in increasing the quality of the product may be wasted because product quality, so long as it exceeds a minimum threshold, is rarely a primary factor for most customers in their buying decisions.

This concept was not understood by executives of one leading toy company, which failed to improve its competitive position, despite tremendous investment in strengthening the durability of its wooden toys. The toy company's executives did not recognize the leading role in which the brand names of their company and that of their primary competitors play in the buying decisions of their customers. As such, customers who are satisfied with a certain brand tend to remain loyal to that brand, despite changes in the quality of products made by that brand or any of its competitors. Similarly, they failed to analyze and properly understand the negative effects of an improvement in product quality, whereby their future purchases by customers loyal to their brand were actually cannibalized by the improved durability and extended lifespan of the newly improved toys. The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.
According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

A ability to measure the direct results they produce
B increased revenues they eventually produce
C manner in which they should be analyzed
D insufficient basis upon which executives research them
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company




The passage suggests which of the following about the quality of the product produced by the toy company prior to its investment in enhancing that product quality?

A. It enabled the toy company to satisfy customers at an acceptable rate.
B. It would likely weaken the toy company's competitive position with respect to other leading toy companies.
C. It had already been improved after it caused damage to the toy company's reputation in the past.
D. It was slightly better than that of the toy company's major competitors.
E. It needed to be improved to attain a similar level to that of the competing toy companies.




This primary purpose of this passage is to

A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment.
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment.
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue.
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment.
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments.




The passage suggests that the toy company's executives failed to consider whether or not the product quality improvement

A. was overly complex to the point that it could not easily be described to potential customers in marketing materials.
B. would considerably improve the experience of the individuals who used the toy.
C. could be sustained if the number of toys manufactured was significantly increased.
D. could have an adverse effect on their sales.
E. was sufficient to raise the product quality to a level comparable with that of its competitors.




Originally posted by Ekland on 13 Feb 2016, 05:46.
Last edited by Vyshak on 13 Jul 2016, 22:34, edited 4 times in total.
Formatting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 385
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2016, 06:31
1) a
2) b
3) b
4) d
please post Official answers
_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 21:14
Please provide the explanations to the answers.Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 21:17
1.A
2.A
3.D
4.D

11 minutes and 20 seconds

Please provide the explanations to the answers :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 454
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 04:39
3
Top Contributor
1
According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

A ability to measure the direct results they produce
B increased revenues they eventually produce
C manner in which they should be analyzed
Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to
direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability ( including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment

D insufficient basis upon which executives research them
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company


The passage suggests which of the following about the quality of the product produced by the toy company prior to its investment in enhancing that product quality?
A. It enabled the toy company to satisfy customers at an acceptable rate.
>>If a company is already competitive with others in the market in providing a product that is satisfactory to customers and avoids a negative reputation
B. It would likely weaken the toy company's competitive position with respect to other leading toy companies.
C. It had already been improved after it caused damage to the toy company's reputation in the past.
D. It was slightly better than that of the toy company's major competitors.
E. It needed to be improved to attain a similar level to that of the competing toy companies.

This primary purpose of this passage is to
A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment.
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment.
>>The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving a product's quality will create such an advantage. Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment.
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue.
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment.
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments.

The passage suggests that the toy company's executives failed to consider whether or not the product quality improvement
A. was overly complex to the point that it could not easily be described to potential customers in marketing materials.
B. would considerably improve the experience of the individuals who used the toy.
C. could be sustained if the number of toys manufactured was significantly increased.
D. could have an adverse effect on their sales.
>>Similarly, they failed to analyze and properly understand the negative effects of an improvement in product quality,
E. was sufficient to raise the product quality to a level comparable with that of its competitors.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 64
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 22:45
about question 4
the passage says that: The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.
so why answer d is correct?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 05:37
1
soodia wrote:
about question 4
the passage says that: The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.
so why answer d is correct?


The question asks what did the toy company's executives failed to understand?

Passage excerpt:
This concept was not understood by executives of one leading toy company, which failed to improve its competitive position, despite tremendous investment in strengthening the durability of its wooden toys. The toy company's executives did not recognize the leading role in which the brand names of their company and that of their primary competitors play in the buying decisions of their customers.

The highlighted portion suggests that their inability to understand the impact of product quality improvement had an adverse effect on their sales.
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 05:39
Someone please explain Q1.

Thanks!
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 59
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 14:59
1
TaN1213 wrote:
Someone please explain Q1.

Thanks!




According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

-> Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct,
tangible benefits, such as increased profitability
(including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment.

= investments in product quality = not direct, tabgible benefit such as increased profitability

A ability to measure the direct results they produce
-> The passage argues that 'must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability'
B increased revenues they eventually produce
-> The passage argues that 'must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability'
C manner in which they should be analyzed
-> keep. 'must be weighed'
D insufficient basis upon which executives research them
-> 'insufficient basis' is not recommended
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company
-> The passage argues that 'must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability'

Only left thing is C. So OA is C
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 05:07
Can someone please explain me question 2 and it’s answer
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 243
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 18:38
Could someone please explain Q2?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 134
Location: Italy
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 10:40
4/4 in 05:37
Not bad :-)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: EAT SLEEP GMAT REPEAT!
Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 169
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 20:50
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Please help in explaining Q1.

I was confused between options A and E, ended up choosing option E.But the OA is C.



Ekland wrote:
The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving a product's quality will create such an advantage. Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment. If a company is already competitive with others in the market in providing a product that is satisfactory to customers and avoids a negative reputation, then investment in increasing the quality of the product may be wasted because product quality, so long as it exceeds a minimum threshold, is rarely a primary factor for most customers in their buying decisions.

This concept was not understood by executives of one leading toy company, which failed to improve its competitive position, despite tremendous investment in strengthening the durability of its wooden toys. The toy company's executives did not recognize the leading role in which the brand names of their company and that of their primary competitors play in the buying decisions of their customers. As such, customers who are satisfied with a certain brand tend to remain loyal to that brand, despite changes in the quality of products made by that brand or any of its competitors. Similarly, they failed to analyze and properly understand the negative effects of an improvement in product quality, whereby their future purchases by customers loyal to their brand were actually cannibalized by the improved durability and extended lifespan of the newly improved toys. The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.
According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

A ability to measure the direct results they produce
B increased revenues they eventually produce
C manner in which they should be analyzed
D insufficient basis upon which executives research them
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company




The passage suggests which of the following about the quality of the product produced by the toy company prior to its investment in enhancing that product quality?

A. It enabled the toy company to satisfy customers at an acceptable rate.
B. It would likely weaken the toy company's competitive position with respect to other leading toy companies.
C. It had already been improved after it caused damage to the toy company's reputation in the past.
D. It was slightly better than that of the toy company's major competitors.
E. It needed to be improved to attain a similar level to that of the competing toy companies.




This primary purpose of this passage is to

A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment.
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment.
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue.
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment.
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments.




The passage suggests that the toy company's executives failed to consider whether or not the product quality improvement

A. was overly complex to the point that it could not easily be described to potential customers in marketing materials.
B. would considerably improve the experience of the individuals who used the toy.
C. could be sustained if the number of toys manufactured was significantly increased.
D. could have an adverse effect on their sales.
E. was sufficient to raise the product quality to a level comparable with that of its competitors.




_________________

Regards,
Adi

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2016
Posts: 70
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 14:07
8 mins all correct. Pretty easy passage :)

Adi93 : May be this helps.

Question 1.

"improving a product's quality will create such an advantage. Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment"

Hence C.
_________________

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8574
Location: Pune, India
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 09:37
2
Adi93 wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Please help in explaining Q1.

I was confused between options A and E, ended up choosing option E.But the OA is C.



Ekland wrote:
The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving a product's quality will create such an advantage. Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment. If a company is already competitive with others in the market in providing a product that is satisfactory to customers and avoids a negative reputation, then investment in increasing the quality of the product may be wasted because product quality, so long as it exceeds a minimum threshold, is rarely a primary factor for most customers in their buying decisions.

This concept was not understood by executives of one leading toy company, which failed to improve its competitive position, despite tremendous investment in strengthening the durability of its wooden toys. The toy company's executives did not recognize the leading role in which the brand names of their company and that of their primary competitors play in the buying decisions of their customers. As such, customers who are satisfied with a certain brand tend to remain loyal to that brand, despite changes in the quality of products made by that brand or any of its competitors. Similarly, they failed to analyze and properly understand the negative effects of an improvement in product quality, whereby their future purchases by customers loyal to their brand were actually cannibalized by the improved durability and extended lifespan of the newly improved toys. The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.
According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

A ability to measure the direct results they produce
B increased revenues they eventually produce
C manner in which they should be analyzed
D insufficient basis upon which executives research them
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company




The passage suggests which of the following about the quality of the product produced by the toy company prior to its investment in enhancing that product quality?

A. It enabled the toy company to satisfy customers at an acceptable rate.
B. It would likely weaken the toy company's competitive position with respect to other leading toy companies.
C. It had already been improved after it caused damage to the toy company's reputation in the past.
D. It was slightly better than that of the toy company's major competitors.
E. It needed to be improved to attain a similar level to that of the competing toy companies.




This primary purpose of this passage is to

A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment.
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment.
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue.
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment.
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments.




The passage suggests that the toy company's executives failed to consider whether or not the product quality improvement

A. was overly complex to the point that it could not easily be described to potential customers in marketing materials.
B. would considerably improve the experience of the individuals who used the toy.
C. could be sustained if the number of toys manufactured was significantly increased.
D. could have an adverse effect on their sales.
E. was sufficient to raise the product quality to a level comparable with that of its competitors.





IT is a specific detail question. I am guessing you found where it is mentioned:

"Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment."

Structure - Investments in A, like those in B, must be weighed against other types ...

What is the similarity point? That both A and B must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to X, Y, Z etc

So the similarity is the manner in which they should be analyzed - they should be weighed against other types of investments.

Options (A) and (E) provide the specific points to consider while analysing them (X, Y, Z). They do not provide the similarity between A and B.

Correct answer is (C)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1393
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 02:35
P1 - Not every improvement is going to helpful.
P2 - an example for same thing.

According to the passage, investments in product quality are comparable to investments in marketing and distribution in terms of their

Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment.

A ability to measure the direct results they produce - too broad choice. results means a lot many things.
B increased revenues they eventually produce - profit mentioned not revanue though.
C manner in which they should be analyzed - should be regarded would have been a better choice but still best of the lot. they should be analyze in one manner and that is improvement of quality.
D insufficient basis upon which executives research them - surely not this.
E level of competitive advantage they provide to a company - level of competitive advantage is not discussed.
-------------------------------------------

The passage suggests which of the following about the quality of the product produced by the toy company prior to its investment in enhancing that product quality?

toy company for sure want to improve it.

A. It enabled the toy company to satisfy customers at an acceptable rate. - best of the lot.
B. It would likely weaken the toy company's competitive position with respect to other leading toy companies. - no
C. It had already been improved after it caused damage to the toy company's reputation in the past. - no
D. It was slightly better than that of the toy company's major competitors. - we donr know about this.
E. It needed to be improved to attain a similar level to that of the competing toy companies. - no

---------------------------------------------

This primary purpose of this passage is to

A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment. --- no for sure no.
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment. - yes para focus on careful analyse before making any improvement on product quality.
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue. -- no focus on revenue.
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment. --- not always a problem.
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments. ---- no way. blamed on managers.

B must be the best of the lot.

--------------------------------------------
The passage suggests that the toy company's executives failed to consider whether or not the product quality improvement

Similarly, they failed to analyze and properly understand the negative effects of an improvement in product quality, whereby their future purchases by customers loyal to their brand were actually cannibalized by the improved durability and extended lifespan of the newly improved toys. The only positive outcome of the improved product quality was the ability to easily market the toys to customers.

D. could have an adverse effect on their sales.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 1013
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 02:38
GMAT Club Bot
Re: the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 02:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

the fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.