It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 363 [5], given: 0

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2006, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:25) correct 40% (01:37) wrong based on 1085 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

(A) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but

(B) that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also

(C) having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but

(D) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also

(E) cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 363 [5], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2006, 11:09
(E) on this one.the first trenches cut into .... yield and not yields.Also it should be that centrally administered.

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2006, 11:20
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

The first trenches ... yeilds...

The first trenches ... have yielded....

The usage of "yeilds" reads as if we expect a comparison to come later in the sentence with another trench, probably a second one.

The usage of "have yeilded" concludes the "first" trench and builds on things found in the first trench.

A has "that were cut" unnecessary.

C has "arising" .. incorrect.

Answer E.

Weird SC... needed a couple of re-reads... Whats the source? SC1000?

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 40 [5], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2006, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
jerrywu wrote:
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

Trenches is plural, so 'yields' is wrong - B, D are out.
-ing forms to be avoided unless necessary - C is out.
A is out for the same reason as C - 'were arising'.

E is the answer.

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Is the answer A, B, C, D or E?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Kudos [?]: 40 [5], given: 2

8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 242 [8], given: 2

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2010, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Last edited by dkverma on 08 Aug 2010, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 242 [8], given: 2

15 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 157 [15], given: 14

Re: First trenches [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2010, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ok,I did POE and reached at E

First subject is trenches --- anywhere you see yields is out , B and D - out

left with A, C and E - having is almost always wrong on gmat - quickly eliminated C

A has got evidence for and E has got evidence that

evidence that is correct - So,E
Also, not sure whether were arising is correct in A , since the question talks about past - arose is better

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 157 [15], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2010, 23:48
Yep it should be E.
Other options have glaring errors.
A is poorly constructed and doesn't convey the right meaning

Regards

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2010, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
E is for me

trenches is plural, leave A,C,E option.

"cut into...." E is more clear than A.C

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
A:
"evidence for" is incorrect.
"that were arising" is incorrect, That is redundant here.

B:
S/V issue between trenches and yields

C:
"having been cut" is redundant
||ism issue simultaneously "with" but independently "of": so "with" is necessary to be parallel with "of"

D:
S/V issue between trenches and yields

E:
left with E as the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2011, 17:21
Can someone explain the idiom at the end of E, "complex societies in northern regions of the middle east arose simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated..."

I can't think of when I have ever heard this idiom....with but...

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2011, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
E. 'have' in sync with 'trenches'; 'evidence that' is idiomatic; simple past usage is correct in 'arose'.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:09
what about the idioms evidence for, evidence of, evidence that? Evidence of and evidence for are incorrect or should only be avoided?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 11:19
Not sure about this. Was caught between A and E, but rejected E because of "arose".

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 14:03
In learning of foundation of prounouns, such as that, I probably have lost the track here!
Isn't "that" suppose to refer to a singular idea/thing?

Q1) Is usage of that appropriate here ? And why?

The first trenches--- that ----were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar,

Shouldn't it be "those" instead of "that", since trenches - the subject is plural? That & were - how do they go along?!!!!!

Q2) Shouldn't it be "those" here, instead of "that"?
If it represents a feeling /noun, then that should follow singular very - is/was ----
"Egypt, have yielded strong evidence for blah blah societies in blah blah ?"that"? were arising simultaneously ....

Q3)
What does prounoun "that" refer to?
Soceities right? (not the middle east)
Then shouldn't it be plural - those??

"Egypt, have yielded strong evidence for blah blah societies in blah blah ?"that"? were arising simultaneously ....

Much appreciate your help !

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [1], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
In learning of foundation of prounouns, such as that, I probably have lost the track here!
Isn't "that" suppose to refer to a singular idea/thing?

Q1) Is usage of that appropriate here ? And why?

Q2) Shouldn't it be "those" here, instead of "that"?

Q3)
What does prounoun "that" refer to?

Yes That is supposed to refer to the singular idea/thing.
A1: Usage of that is inappropriate because you already have a main subject "the trenches". Why would you want to reiterate a subject which already exists immediately after you have introduced it, right? Later on in the sentence it makes sense to refer to it but not immediately after introduction.

A2: No. We should not use either that or those so early on. This is again drawing on answer to point 1.

A3: Correct. That here refers to the complex societies. But is wrongly used. This is the reason why the correct answer eliminates all usage of that completely. There is no ambiguity of that or those at all.

Kudos [?]: 102 [1], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:40
Much thanks !
That was interesting !

However, I am still trying to buzz my mind around that/those.
i see some grammer pundits saying, "that" goes even with plural subject.

items produced by this machine are guaranteed to be accurately sized
vs.
items that are produced by this machine are guaranteed to be accurately sized

(there's no real difference here. so, the first one is marginally better, if only because it's more concise)

well, i understand, you dont want "that", immediately after subject.
but lets say if that's not the case....then
Would you justify use of pronoun "that", in such plural verb occasions?

Kedar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OK, gotcha!!
There is a second point I forgot to mention and one that is tested on the GMAT quite often. The usage of "that" vs."which" as restrictive/non-restrictive pronouns.
-------------------------------------------
Source: GMAT Hacks website.
Here's a handy way to remember the rule: "That" is restrictive, while "which" is non-restrictive. The rule will make more sense after some further discussion.

Consider two similar sentences:

I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago that the Andersons operate.
I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago, which the Andersons operate.
------------------------------------------------
So, the next question: Do that and which refer to plurals or singulars?
They can refer to the whole sentence/noun phrase/noun/pronoun.

So, in summary, that is a pronoun, a restrictive prounoun and pronoun used for comparisons. You should be familiar with each of the usages for GMAT SC.

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 19:09
First of, thanks for the research, mourinhogmat1 !

Regarding
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Consider two similar sentences:

I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago that the Andersons operate.
I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago, which the Andersons operate.
------------------------------------------------
So, the next question: Do that and which refer to plurals or singulars?
They can refer to the whole sentence/noun phrase/noun/pronoun.

So, in summary, that is a pronoun, a restrictive prounoun and pronoun used for comparisons. You should be familiar with each of the usages for GMAT SC.

Sorry, but I think "that" in above sentence is not used as pronoun. It's used as a starter for a modifier.
The which doesnt really care about the "the andersons operate" (modifier), but on it's antecedant hotel

Take a look at this -
[Incorrect] I am staying at various hotels, which Paris Hilton operates.
[Correct] I am staying at various hotels, that paris hilton operate.

I think instead of studying business, I am doing research on English grammer now :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 19:13
so I researched more (on english grammer, not in business), and this is what I think -
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Yes That is supposed to refer to the singular idea/thing.
A1: Usage of that is inappropriate because you already have a main subject "the trenches". Why would you want to reiterate a subject which already exists immediately after you have introduced it, right? Later on in the sentence it makes sense to refer to it but not immediately after introduction.

It's perfectly fine to use that, immediately after the subject. Let it re-iterate itself :)
It's little idomatic-modifier start-up usage.

Welcoming suggestion from all gmat pundits here (including mourinhogmat1) :)

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9315 [0], given: 1169

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2013, 03:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guy

In all fairness, I think is wrong to attack such complex question in the way you did, with the use of that as pivot point.

Moreover, I'm honest to say that me too had problems simply because
- this kind of question is difficult only for the reason that when you read it from the beginning, when you are in the end of the phrase you already forgot where you stand: lost

- is important to understand the exact time line, without this process you always will pick such question wrong or at least you pick right but after five minute (during the exam the pressure blow your mind for sure) that is the same to pick it wrong.

Now back to the question: the acheologists do something NOW (cut a site into pieces) and discover something else (in that place complex societies took place) and the societies AROSE, in the past.

If you use arise or arising the societies seem still there. as an ongoing situation

Infact E is the answer

cut (now) into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously (one time) with but and so on

If you do not understand clearly thi first split (the land were cut not in the past but NOW) by someone. They cut the land into acres \(NOW\) :)

Focus on the whole picture. Grammar is important but try to understand a macro vision of the sentence

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9315 [0], given: 1169

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2013, 03:48

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 86 posts ] 

The first trenches cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap