GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 21:24
Imo E

A B C have pronoun errors .Its is ambiguous .
D is also wrong as it is awkward .
E is more direct and concise.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
B
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 11:31
is this correct ?

besides the possible preventing or inhibiting of
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:17
ManSab wrote:
Experts: how is usage of semicolon justified in this sentence? Normally in semi-colon sentences two independent clauses are related to each other through some pronoun. For example: John and Jane are best buddies; they are together since 2005.

thanks

Hello ManSab,

I will be glad to help you resolve your doubt.

Let me present the sentence with the correct answer choice:

The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; besides possibly preventing or inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

The semi-colon has been used correctly in this official sentence.

The first independent clause talks about the health benefits of tea that have been the subject of much research.

Continuing the same thought or information further, the second independent clause talks about the possible health benefits of the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis. From the context of the sentence it is evident that Camellia sinesis is a kind of tea. So both the clauses talk about the same topic. The second clause is the extension of the information presented in the first clause. Hence, use of semi-colon to join two independent clauses is absolutely correct in this official sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:23
rishabhdxt wrote:
is this correct ?

besides the possible preventing or inhibiting of

Hello rishabhdxt,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

The structure that you have mentioned in your post is not correct.

See, the thing is when a structure demands the usage of the noun form of a word, then we must use the conventional noun form of the word and not the verb-ing form of the noun form as we see in the structure you have presented in your post.

The correct structure can be as follows: besides the possible prevention or inhibition of.

However, the way choice E is worded is apt.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 10:04
Can you please help me with sentence structure of this question? B, D and E look correct to me.
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 11:02
12.nehasingh wrote:
Can you please help me with sentence structure of this question? B, D and E look correct to me.

Two sentences can be connected with ";"

Sentence-1: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research
Sentence-2: in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Sentence-2a: "in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer" - Modifier
Sentence-2b: "the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke." - Main clause

ITS possibilities --> whose possibilities?? so here you look for the subject of the "ITS"

but subject of main clause is "the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis" i.e. LEAVES and "leaveS" is plural. so "its" referring to plural subject "leaveS" is incorrect.

look for this issue in all other sentences - A, B & C all of these choices are wrong for this reason.

Now who is doing the action preventing or say inhibiting? -- Leaves

so choice E correctly uses the structure "verbing...,subject"

Now beware of choice D here because it fools you with "THE PREVENTING OF", which is not VERBING.

Now there are other flaws as in choices but i was able to get to the righ answer with simply the above issues.

Hope it helps.
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 11:19
The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

A. in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting
- "and" is incorrect here. PREVENTING = INHIBITING, so this sets up a redundancy error.

B. in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit
- "its" incorrectly refers to "brewed leaves" -- so not only should "its" be PLURAL, but "plural + possibilities" = UNIDIOMATIC.

C. besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits
- "and" sets up redundancy error

D. besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of
- "the preventing and inhibiting" = UNIDIOMATIC. "and" sets up redundancy error.

E. besides possibly preventing or inhibiting
- correct as is

> i think the key thing is that if you can find the redundancy error here, you're golden -- you have a 50/50 shot of getting it right if you were guessing.

> if you spot the "its"/"it" error -- noting that "its" refers to a PLURAL subject, you also have a 50/50 shot of getting it right if you were guessing.

Kudos please if you find helpful :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 20:53
Hello,

Can anyone explain the usage of pronoun "It" in option A, B and C
Since there is a semi colon, the subject of the second independent clause is brewed leaves, so can we eliminate options A, B and C because of its and it.

Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Regards
Anugrah
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 23:58
anugrahs wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone explain the usage of pronoun "It" in option A, B and C
Since there is a semi colon, the subject of the second independent clause is brewed leaves, so can we eliminate options A, B and C because of its and it.

Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Hi Anugrah, It in option A, B and C at best qualifies as an ambiguous pronoun, since it has multiple eligible antecedents.

It is well known that GMAT shows a high-level of tolerance for ambiguous pronouns. Hence, eliminating options A, B and C because of this reason, is not correct.

Also, I am curious to know why you are looking at the subject of the second independent clause, to decide on the antecedent of it.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Ambiguous Pronoun, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 11:45
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analyis on this question. Thanks! why isn't "and" used here?

prevent or inhibit correct
prevent and inhibit incorrect
You cannot 'both' Prevent And Inhibit something at the same time, logically.

between B and E.
In B "its" is awkward.
its’ is referring to the ‘brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis’ when it should refer to ‘tea’ .
Also You will realise that it refers to Brewed Leaves: Plural. So, "It" cannot refer to "Leaves."
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Law (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 10:49
The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

(A) in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting
(B) in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit
(C) besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits
(D) besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of
(E) besides possibly preventing or inhibiting

"E" is Better than "B", as brewed leaves: Prevent-ing, or Inhibit-ing and Reduc-ing (non-underlined portion), is absolute parallel.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 20:50

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 12:52
"preventing and inhibiting" means something different than "preventing or inhibiting", but I don't think either one is wrong and I wouldn't eliminate any options based on this split.

Brewed leaves could prevent cancer if someone does not already have it. And brewed leaves could inhibit cancer if someone does already have it.

The bigger issue is the pronoun issue.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 03:54

(A) in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting- pronoun issue- the INTENDED antecedent here is "the brewed leaves of camellia sinensis" and singular pronoun 'it' can't refer to plural noun; usage of "possibilities" unidiomatic
-the possibility that NOUN VERB
-the possibility of NOUN
(B) in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit -pronoun issue same as A ; usage of "possibilities" unidiomatic
(C) besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits - pronoun issue is same as A
(D) besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of - "the possible VERBing" is inferior to "possibly VERBing".
(E) besides possibly preventing or inhibiting - Correct

Answer E

preventing and inhibiting vs preventing or inhibiting
"and" makes lesser sense in context (it makes it seem as though the two effects must occur together); "or" makes more sense.
1. But can we use 'and' vs 'or' as a decision point to eliminate here?
2. Preventing cancer- stop the occurrence of cancer completely
inhibit cancer- slow down the occurrence/degree of cancer
Are these interpretations correct?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , generis , other experts - please enlighten
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 08:29
Skywalker18 wrote:
preventing and inhibiting vs preventing or inhibiting
"and" makes lesser sense in context (it makes it seem as though the two effects must occur together); "or" makes more sense.
1. But can we use 'and' vs 'or' as a decision point to eliminate here?
2. Preventing cancer- stop the occurrence of cancer completely
inhibit cancer- slow down the occurrence/degree of cancer
Are these interpretations correct?
I agree that or is better than and here.
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 01:50
[quote="x97agarwal"]The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

preventing in choice D is gerund and preventing in choice E is participle. choice D is wrong.
"besides" is a preposition can stand before a participle. but not all of preposition can stand in this position.

this top of the world question shows the class of makers of gmat
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 08:05
I chose option B and here are my train of thoughts.
the first part of the sentence is an independent clause. So for the second part of the clause, I identified it as a clause modifier.
- The brewed leaves of Camellia sienensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke in addition to its (referring to the leaves) possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer.

Could someone help to explain where I went wrong? Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 12:11
I want to unerstand that doesnt option E change the meaning of the orginal sentence?

Origina sentence talks about the possibility of preventing and inhibiting. While, Option E says that possibly preventing.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 17:21
jyotsnamahajan wrote:
I want to unerstand that doesnt option E change the meaning of the orginal sentence?

Origina sentence talks about the possibility of preventing and inhibiting. While, Option E says that possibly preventing.
In general, it's a good idea not to depend on option A to provide the "correct" meaning. In fact, the only case in which A is guaranteed to provide us the intended meaning of the sentence is when it is the correct answer.
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 09:51
The crux of this question is meaning.

The two splits that stand out in this answer is 'in addition to its' and 'besides' .
Eliminate one and you have the options left to kill . Chances of getting this answer right have gone up to 60%.

'in addition to its' suffers from a S-V agreement error . its and brewed leaves. Not cool .
Chance of getting this right - 60%

C suffers the same issue .

in choice E preventing or inhibiting goes seamlessly with 'in reducing the' in the later part of the sentence (the non underlined part). It's a bit of parallelism . The GMAT monster always likes the parallelism option . Go for E. Strike out D.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in   [#permalink] 22 May 2019, 09:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 46 posts ] 

The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics