GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 08:01
My reasoning below:
The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
A. in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting - incorrect formation - 'to' prevent or inhibit - prevent and inhibit cannot happen together
B. in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit - isolated its correct, but not parallel to 'reducing'
C. besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits - not parallel to reducing
D. besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of - awkward - 'inhibiting' of
E. besides possibly preventing or inhibiting - parallel and concise with the addition of 'or'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 08:24
x97agarwal wrote:
The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Quote:
A. in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting
B. in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit
C. besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits

The Subject for the dependent clause is 'brewed leaves' which is plural. 'it/its' cannot refer to a plural noun. So we can knock out A,B,C straight away!
Plus, Prevent and Inhibit are essentially synonyms so we NEED an 'or' rather than a 'and'.

Quote:
D. besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of

We need an 'Or' and not an 'And'.
Plus 'possible preventing', REALLY? We have a Noun and it's 'Prevention' so this is just WRONG. OUT

Quote:
E. besides possibly preventing or inhibiting

No Grammatical Errors.

E is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 08:44
x97agarwal wrote:

E is the answer as it is concise and uses good language
A is wordy and "its" is ambiguous
B again " its " is ambiguous and use of infinitive is not correct .
C it is ambiguous
D we have to use nouns here we have gerunds so not correct .
E correct

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 09:04
Can you please help me with sentence structure of this question? B, D and E look correct to me.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 10:02
12.nehasingh wrote:
Can you please help me with sentence structure of this question? B, D and E look correct to me.

Two sentences can be connected with ";"

Sentence-1: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research
Sentence-2: in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer, the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Sentence-2a: "in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting some forms of cancer" - Modifier
Sentence-2b: "the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis may also play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke." - Main clause

ITS possibilities --> whose possibilities?? so here you look for the subject of the "ITS"

but subject of main clause is "the brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis" i.e. LEAVES and "leaveS" is plural. so "its" referring to plural subject "leaveS" is incorrect.

look for this issue in all other sentences - A, B & C all of these choices are wrong for this reason.

Now who is doing the action preventing or say inhibiting? -- Leaves

so choice E correctly uses the structure "verbing...,subject"

Now beware of choice D here because it fools you with "THE PREVENTING OF", which is not VERBING.

Now there are other flaws as in choices but i was able to get to the righ answer with simply the above issues.

Hope it helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 01:12
Top Contributor
D. besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of--- preventing and inhibiting is wrong. It has to be one of them and not both.

E. besides possibly preventing or inhibiting --- correct

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 02:50
Imo E
It is short and concise .
Also
Preventing or inhibiting modifies tea .
B is long and its is ambiguous

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:19

- "and" is incorrect here. PREVENTING = INHIBITING, so this sets up a redundancy error.

- "its" incorrectly refers to "brewed leaves" -- so not only should "its" be PLURAL, but "plural + possibilities" = UNIDIOMATIC.

- "and" sets up redundancy error

- "the preventing and inhibiting" = UNIDIOMATIC. "and" sets up redundancy error.

- correct as is

> i think the key thing is that if you can find the redundancy error here, you're golden -- you have a 50/50 shot of getting it right if you were guessing.

> if you spot the "its"/"it" error -- noting that "its" refers to a PLURAL subject, you also have a 50/50 shot of getting it right if you were guessing.

Kudos please if you find helpful :)
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 00:14
x97agarwal wrote:

Guys E is correct because it is grammatically correct and between B and E, E is more concise. Concision is often favored on the GMAT. But that doesn't necessarily mean the most concise answer choice is correct- the most concise answer choice that is both logically and grammatically correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 19:53
Hello,

Can anyone explain the usage of pronoun "It" in option A, B and C
Since there is a semi colon, the subject of the second independent clause is brewed leaves, so can we eliminate options A, B and C because of its and it.

Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Regards
Anugrah
Manager
Manager
B
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 20:12
hibloom wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:

prevent or inhibit correct
prevent and inhibit incorrect

between B and E

E looks concise

Hi there
can you give reasons for

thanks
It either prevents or inhibits... Both can't be done together and it's illogical to say so.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 22:58
anugrahs wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone explain the usage of pronoun "It" in option A, B and C
Since there is a semi colon, the subject of the second independent clause is brewed leaves, so can we eliminate options A, B and C because of its and it.

Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Hi Anugrah, It in option A, B and C at best qualifies as an ambiguous pronoun, since it has multiple eligible antecedents.

It is well known that GMAT shows a high-level of tolerance for ambiguous pronouns. Hence, eliminating options A, B and C because of this reason, is not correct.

Also, I am curious to know why you are looking at the subject of the second independent clause, to decide on the antecedent of it.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Ambiguous Pronoun, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 10:45
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analyis on this question. Thanks! why isn't "and" used here?

You cannot 'both' Prevent And Inhibit something at the same time, logically.

between B and E.
In B "its" is awkward.
its’ is referring to the ‘brewed leaves of Camellia sinensis’ when it should refer to ‘tea’ .
Also You will realise that it refers to Brewed Leaves: Plural. So, "It" cannot refer to "Leaves."
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 03:40
Zarrolou wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analyis on this question. Thanks! why isn't "and" used here?

The "subject" of the underlined portion is "the brewed leaves": PLURAL => it/its have no reference. We can eliminate A B C.

D. besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of<== this is not idiomatic

To answer you question about "and", I think it's more logical to say
prevent OR inhibit, just because you cannot do both things at once: you can either prevent OR inhibit.

Inhibit is to restrain, hinder etc and prohibit implies to restrict, prevent etc in the given scenario. So my understanding is that the brewed leaves of Camellia sinesis helps prevent forms of cancer cancer or inhibit forms of cancer , it does not make sense that it prevents and inhibits cancer at the same time, as both of them imply the same. So it either prevents cancer or it inhibits cancer.
I hope this made sense
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 04:46
GMATNinja - could you please clear this?
in the later part of the sentence, I see an "ing" form and so answer will be among A,D and E..
what is wrong in D?

E- possibly is an adverb and it can modify only adjective, adverb but preventing?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 03:03
A, B, C can be ruled out purely because "it" refers to leaves and should be plural.
In D and E, D has a fault in sentence structure. In the non-underlined part of the sentence, brewed leaves are performing an action of reducing the risk, D breaks that structure. E follows.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 04:42

(A) in addition to its possibilities for preventing and inhibiting --> pronoun error
(B) in addition to its possibilities to prevent or inhibit
(C) besides the possibility that it prevents and inhibits
(D) besides the possible preventing and inhibiting of
(E) besides possibly preventing or inhibiting --> correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 04:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 

The health benefits of tea have been the subject of much research; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap