GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The interior minister explained that one of the village planning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Aug 2018, 13:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (00:54) correct 10% (01:13) wrong based on 1395 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The interior minister explained that one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

(A) one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting

(B) one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking

(C) one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract

(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take

(E) among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

SC14890

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Originally posted by Gnpth on 04 Jul 2016, 04:32.
Last edited by bb on 04 Aug 2018, 13:18, edited 3 times in total.
Option E was incomplete
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The interior minister explained that one of the village planning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 06:12
A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting - Incorrect - Awkward

B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking - Incorrect - Subject Verb error

C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract - Correct

D. a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take - Incorrect - Fragment

E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract - Incorrect - Fragment

Answer: C
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The interior minister explained that one of the village planning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 11:25
Gnpth wrote:
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
D. a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take
E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

The phrases one of and one of the take a singular verb, hence (C) is correct...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 21:10
B is a mess that you can't even.. smh
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 01:08
(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take.

Could anyone tell me whether the answer (D) is grammatically correct?
For me, it looks like two independent clauses without proper conjunction or "that"( ... proposals was that it did not take.)
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 01:22
Faye Wu wrote:
(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take.

Could anyone tell me whether the answer (D) is grammatically correct?
For me, it looks like two independent clauses without proper conjunction or "that"( ... proposals was that it did not take.)

D has the run on sentence after comma "was, it did not take.". Hence, D is grammatically incorrect.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 22:19
Gnpth wrote:

A.one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
B.one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
C.one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
D.a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take
E.among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

Hi sayantanc2k / Experts,

Can Somebody, please explain B/C in meaning?

What is difference between "village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics" & "best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal" ?

Thanks
Nandish

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 01:57
NandishSS wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k / Experts,

Can Somebody, please explain B/C in meaning?

What is difference between "village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics" & "best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal" ?

Thanks
Nandish

Hi Nandish,

I don't think that there is any meaning difference between the two. A's best characteristics is same as best characteristics of A.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 14:32

Analysis: Looking at the underlined portions of the sentence, we need a "...was that..." so that the description of the characteristic can follow it.

A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
- Incorrect with pronoun reference and working verb

B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
- Same as (A)

C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
- "it" clearly refers to the characteristics and "did not detract" has the correct form of working verb.

- The clause before comma is sentence fragment.
- Also, "a" is not the correct article to reference to the "best characteristics" [Someone correct me if this is a not an issue]

E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract
- Again the clause before first comma is a sentence fragment. Also, "one was" is a fragment.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 11:17
Top Contributor
anox wrote

Quote:
- Also, "a" is not the correct article to reference to the "best characteristics" [Someone correct me if this is a not an issue]

It is certainly an issue. The superlative degree of comparison is a unique and absolute feature and it should be modified by the definite article 'the' in formal written English of GMAT.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 08:00
daagh wrote:
anox wrote

Quote:

It is certainly an issue. The superlative degree of comparison is a unique and absolute feature and it should be modified by the definite article 'the' in formal written English of GMAT.

Thanks for the explanation. "a best characteristics" did not sound right to me but could not explain it.
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 12:14
Gnpth wrote:

Well, we could say that "A' is awkward; however, writing off an answer choice as awkward may not actually help explain why that particular answer choice is wrong or better yet help to elucidate the sentence's intended meaning. What is incorrect about answer choice "A" is the pairing of "their " with "proposal's." This is grammatically incorrect..."their" must be paired with a plural noun. Concision and logic matter on the GMAT- but this certainly does not mean immediately eliminating the wordiest answer choice or even an answer choice that sounds "awkward." The whole idea of eliminating answer choices on the basis of sounding awkward may be more applicable to questions testing idioms- even then we cannot afford to entirely rely on your ear- this is a very common mistake. There's actually a few idioms that arguably sound awkward and that many native American speakers even get wrong. Many Americans, surprisingly, say " I prefer ___ over___" this is incorrect- it should I prefer x___to___Y. Anyways, I do not mean to dismiss the notion that sentences that inherently sound awkward should not raise skepticism- they should raise a yellow light rather a red light and we should not forget to also use logic and rules.

Thus
"C"
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 02:04
I'm really confused with the Subject and the Verb here. Can someone please help understand?
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 19:16
haritrathi94

Here is how I would break it down:

The interior minister explained

that (presence of that suggests another dependent clause)

one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was

that

it did not detract from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

generis GMATNinja KarishmaB workout

I at times falter for 10 s to know verb for phrases such as one of the best characteristics
The reason why need a singular verb was to refer to above complete phrase and not
a plural verb characteristics is that a noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be a subject of the plural verb - were. Am I correct?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 19:38
adkikani wrote:

I at times falter for 10 s to know verb for phrases such as one of the best characteristics
The reason why need a singular verb was to refer to above complete phrase and not
a plural verb characteristics is that a noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be a subject of the plural verb - were. Am I correct?

adkikani here is what I think

There are few cases where if the part before the subject modifies the quantity of the subject, then the subject can be in the prepositional phrase.

Example "some of the students got their books" Here "some of the" talks about quantity of students. So, the subject is students and it is plural.

The few exceptions to the above are "one of the", "none of the" and "the number of" which are always singular

"one of the students got his/her book".
"none of the students got his/her book"

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 21:54
[quote="Gnpth"]The interior minister explained that one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

(A) one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting

(B) one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking

(C) one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract

(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take

(E) among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

choice E is wrong just because " one was" has no "that". E contain no other errors?

is that righ?
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 01:48
adkikani wrote:
haritrathi94

that

it did not detract from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

generis

adkikani , you are correct. "Characteristics" is the object of a preposition. The object of a preposition cannot be the subject of the sentence.

C is correct because "one of the Xs" is singular. C's verb, WAS, is singular.

"ONE OF THE Xs"

"ONE OF THE Xs" + VERB is always singular

"ONE OF THE Xs" that/who + VERB is always plural

So look for the words "that" and "who" after "one of the Xs."
Not there? Singular.
There? Plural.

If we think about it in context, those two rules make sense. In the first case, the person is the only one [of the Xs] who does Y. In the second case, the person is not the only one [of the Xs] to do Y.

Singular ("one of the Xs" VERB)
One of the athletes protests injustice by taking a knee.
Meaning: He is the only athlete who chooses taking a knee to emphasize a protest.
Other athletes do not protest by taking a knee.
Other athletes protest in different way. Some wear colored ribbons.
Others raise clenched fists (and are stripped of gold and silver medals).
Only this athlete is known to protest in this way.
• In the singular case in which only THE is used (WITHOUT WHO or THAT), no other Xs do this action. Only one of the Xs does this action.
(singular) One . . .protests (singular)

• In the plural case with THAT or WHO, there are many Xs who do this action.

Plural ("one of the Xs" that/who VERB)

He is one of the athletes WHO protest injustice by taking a knee.

Meaning: There are many athletes who protest by taking a knee.
There is a group of athletes who protest by taking a knee, and he is one of (part of) that group. He is one of many who protest in that way.
(plural) athletes . . . protest

So, adkikani , in correctly deciding that the object of a preposition could not be the subject of the sentence, you got to the correct conclusion: the subject is singular.

workout , maybe I am missing something you intend, but . . . As you note, the prepositional phrase can affect the subject and hence determine whether the verb should be singular our plural.

So I agree that the prepositional phrase modifies the subject -- but the subject in the example used is "some," not "students."

In other words, the object of the preposition (students) is not the subject of the sentence. I think what I see may be a typo.

thangvietnam , E is utter nonsense.
Answer E is indeed missing a "that."
If you read the thread, you will see that others have already discussed other problems with Answer E.
If you have any specific questions about E, please let us know!

adkikani , I hope that helps.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 03:44
adkikani wrote:
haritrathi94

that

Whether you use singular or plural verb depends on the corresponding subject.

He is one of those kids who live in joint families. ("who live in joint families" modifies "those kids". So we use plural "live". He is one of them)

One of those kids has your jacket. (Who has your jacket? One of the kids, not those kids. You use singular "has")

Some of those kids are my friends. (Who are my friends? Some of those kids. Subject is "some" which is plural so you use "are")

One of those boys who are sitting in the cafeteria is my brother. ("who are sitting in the cafeteria" modifies "those boys" so we use "are". But only one of them is my brother so "is" corresponds to "one")

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Re: The interior minister explained that one of the village planning &nbs [#permalink] 08 Aug 2018, 03:44

The interior minister explained that one of the village planning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap