GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 20:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:30) correct 48% (01:53) wrong based on 529 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state, including the two leading firms, but only twenty four as a workforce, all with advanced degrees.

A. about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state, including the two leading firms, but only twenty four as a workforce, all with

B. about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state have, as the two leading firms do, but in the local firm there is only a workforce of twenty four, and all of them have

C. that is about the same as the budgets of the largest consulting firms in the state, such as the two leading firms, but in the local firm there is a workforce of only twenty four, all of them having

D. comparable with the budgets that the largest consulting firms in the state have, as the two leading firms do, but they have only twenty four as a workforce, all with

E. comparable to those of the largest consulting firms in the state, such as the two leading firms, but a workforce of only twenty four, all of whom have

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 21:07
+1 for A

Split 1:
Last part of the underlined portion says
all with/all of them/all of whom

This is referring back to the work force. Hence, them and whom is wrong

Eliminate B, C, E.

Split 2:
Between A and D
D says - 'but they have only twenty four as a workforce'
Here they refers back to two leading firms? Or local consulting company? Or largest consulting firms?
Pronoun ambiguity is not allowed. Hence eliminate D

We are left with A, a clear winner.

Posted from my mobile device

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Director
Director
P
Re: The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 00:04
I would like to go with E

A is not correct as budget is compared with firms

E is best . compared to used to compare budget.

Give kudos if you like the post

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 00:15
Akash720 wrote:
+1 for A

Split 1:
Last part of the underlined portion says
all with/all of them/all of whom

This is referring back to the work force. Hence, them and whom is wrong

Eliminate B, C, E.

Split 2:
Between A and D
D says - 'but they have only twenty four as a workforce'
Here they refers back to two leading firms? Or local consulting company? Or largest consulting firms?
Pronoun ambiguity is not allowed. Hence eliminate D

We are left with A, a clear winner.

A has illogical comparison : budget to firms
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 01:03
push12345 wrote:
I would like to go with E

A is not correct as budget is compared with firms

E is best . compared to used to compare budget.

I think E makes a wrong comparison.

E) comparable to those of the largest consulting firms in the state, such as the two leading firms, but a workforce of only twenty four, all of whom have.

As we are comparing 'budget', which is singular, 'that' should be used instead of 'those'.

Cheers!
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:33
aragonn wrote:
The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state, including the two leading firms, but only twenty four as a workforce, all with advanced degrees.

A. about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state, including the two leading firms, but only twenty four as a workforce, all with

B. about the same as the largest consulting firms in the state have, as the two leading firms do, but in the local firm there is only a workforce of twenty four, and all of them have

C. that is about the same as the budgets of the largest consulting firms in the state, such as the two leading firms, but in the local firm there is a workforce of only twenty four, all of them having

D. comparable with the budgets that the largest consulting firms in the state have, as the two leading firms do, but they have only twenty four as a workforce, all with

E. comparable to those of the largest consulting firms in the state, such as the two leading firms, but a workforce of only twenty four, all of whom have

In A and B budget is incorrectly compared with consulting firms.
in D that is referring to budgets (SVA problem)
In C , them is ambiguous .
between C and E , E for me conveys the meaning better than C does

Imo- E
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 03:14

Official Text Explanation

First, look at the comparison of budgets. Logically, we have to compare companies to companies or budgets to budgets; we can’t compare one company to the budget of another.

Choice (A) compares a budget to a set of companies. This is incorrect.

The other four choices, in wordier or more concise ways, compare budgets to budgets.

Now, look at the pronouns. The “local consulting company” presumably has multiple employees, but as a noun, it is a single collective noun and requires a singular pronoun. Choice (D) uses the plural pronoun “they” for this company; that choice is incorrect.

In choice (B), we have “as the largest consulting firms … have, as the two leading firms do.” The verb “have” is correct and the verb “do” is wrong. This choice is incorrect.

Choice (C) is the longest answer: it verges on redundant to repeat the word “budget” in the first section of the sentence. It also opts to have two clauses and chooses an indirect “there is” construction in the second clause. The whole thing is distended and awkward. While it’s grammatically correct, it’s littered with rhetorically poor options. This is far from optimal.

Choice (E), by comparison, is sleek and efficient. It cleverly uses the demonstrative pronoun “those” to set up a correct comparison. Furthermore, rather than separate clauses, it elegantly sets up parallelism between direct objects: the local company “has a budget . . . but a workforce.” This choice is not only grammatical correct but also entirely rhetorically successful.

Choice (E) is the best of the five answers here.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Schulich
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 20:33
aragonn wrote:

Official Text Explanation

First, look at the comparison of budgets. Logically, we have to compare companies to companies or budgets to budgets; we can’t compare one company to the budget of another.

Choice (A) compares a budget to a set of companies. This is incorrect.

The other four choices, in wordier or more concise ways, compare budgets to budgets.

Now, look at the pronouns. The “local consulting company” presumably has multiple employees, but as a noun, it is a single collective noun and requires a singular pronoun. Choice (D) uses the plural pronoun “they” for this company; that choice is incorrect.

In choice (B), we have “as the largest consulting firms … have, as the two leading firms do.” The verb “have” is correct and the verb “do” is wrong. This choice is incorrect.

Choice (C) is the longest answer: it verges on redundant to repeat the word “budget” in the first section of the sentence. It also opts to have two clauses and chooses an indirect “there is” construction in the second clause. The whole thing is distended and awkward. While it’s grammatically correct, it’s littered with rhetorically poor options. This is far from optimal.

Choice (E), by comparison, is sleek and efficient. It cleverly uses the demonstrative pronoun “those” to set up a correct comparison. Furthermore, rather than separate clauses, it elegantly sets up parallelism between direct objects: the local company “has a budget . . . but a workforce.” This choice is not only grammatical correct but also entirely rhetorically successful.

Choice (E) is the best of the five answers here.

Why is "do" wrong in B? I was stuck between B and E and could opt for E because B says but in the local firm there is only a workforce of twenty four, and all of. It uses Comma to join two things in the list. I usually see construction such as "A, B, and E" or "A and B".

What is wrong with "do" ?

Regards
SandySilva

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 06:43
sandysilva - wrt above lines I have a follow up question for you - What 'do' is compared with ? as used to compare actions but what is this action compared here ? What firms are doing?

Hope this will give you some direction. Let me know about any further doubts.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 08:36
How can option E be correct?
I thought option C is correct because in option E there is 'those of'.So how can those of refer to a budget those of must refer to something which is already there in the sentence or previously mentioned like those of refer to something plural it cannot refer back to singular subject budget neither we can assume those of refer to plural subject budgets of the companies. Please someone explain.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 17:45
Srija221

Regarding this term - as the two leading firms do
This is used here to compare some action of these two firms. but there is no other action is given. That is why it is wrong. Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 18:14
Experts please advice. The concern I have with option E is the usage of "those". Can "those" being a pronoun for a plural noun be used to compare with a singular noun "budget". I think the correct answer requires the noun budget to be repeated in plural form for correct comparison
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V29

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 18:20
+1 for c

E contains comparable to . It should have comparable with form
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 19:06
Aldorado - Lets define the pattern.

Its height of a building / heights of all the building.
rotation rate of engine / rotation rates of tyre

The moment you use each and every it become singular. apart from that Comparison of one thing with multiples of other is valid in this fashion.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 19:13
vipulkhandelwal999 - First of all OA ia E not C.

[in] + Compare with and Compare to both are correct. Here are my notes on it, if you need.
Compare to - Comparison of unlike things.
Compare with - Comparison of like things.

using when/as + compare/contrast - wrong
As compared with - wrong

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Intern
Intern
S
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 00:47
I think it's a poor quality question as those (plural) used to refer to budget (singular). The rest of E is fine
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 03:57
From Manhattan SC, Demonstrative Pronouns cannot be used in cases in which a singular entity is compared to a plural entity.

For eg- Her company outperformed those of her competitors. Incorrect.
Her company outperformed the companies of her competitors. Correct.

The book says if there is a number disagreement, Demonstrative Pronouns should not be used. Express the antecedent explicitly instead. We can ignore the subtle difference between "compared to" and "compared with", but still E has this major flaw.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 01:09
That's right, urvashis09! This question is a rewrite of an official question, and as so often happens, some errors crept in that didn't occur in the original.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/laos-has-a-l ... 07156.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 15:18
aragonn wrote:
vipulkhandelwal999 - First of all OA ia E not C.

[in] + Compare with and Compare to both are correct. Here are my notes on it, if you need.
Compare to - Comparison of unlike things.
Compare with - Comparison of like things.

using when/as + compare/contrast - wrong
As compared with - wrong

When to Use Compare To
compare to versus compare with What does compare to mean? To compare something to something else is to observe or point only to likenesses between them. In other words, you are likening one thing to another, or you are making a comment about their similarities.

He compared their historic win to that of the 1992 Dream Team.
His fight for civil rights is comparable to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The phrase compare to is used when the intent is to assert, without the need for elaboration, that two or more items are similar.

When to Use Compare With
Definition of compare with definition and definition of compare to definitionWhat does compare with mean? To compare something with something else is to place the items side by side, noting differences and similarities between them.

They won the championship in a clean sweep, compared with last year’s game 7 loss.
Let’s compare your record with your rhetoric.
The phrase compare with is used to juxtapose two or more items to illustrate similarities and/or differences.

Compare To vs. Compare With: What’s the Difference?
If you still aren’t sure of the differences between these two phrases, let’s compare two of the above examples side by side.

He compared this year’s historic win to that of the 1992 Dream Team.
They won the championship in a clean sweep, compared with last year’s game 7 loss.
As you can see in the first example, the author is saying that this year’s win is similar to the 1992 win of the Dream Team. You are likening the two events.

In the second example, that author is pointing out the differences between this two different championship wins. You are juxtaposing the events looking at their differences.

In other words, the phrase compare to is really meant to liken things together, whereas the phrase compare with is used to juxtapose things with each.

You never FAIL until you stop TRYING

[wrapimg=][/wrapimg]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 07:47
E cannot be the correct answer. Its flawed.
Admin, please see to such questions posted which don't have clear answers

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the &nbs [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 07:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

The local consulting company has a budget about the same as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap