GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 09:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (00:50) correct 11% (01:03) wrong based on 198 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 37 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept a transfer are that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and the difficulty of selling the old home.

(A) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and the difficulty of selling the old home

(B) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and that it is difficult to sell the old home

(C) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and that the old home is difficult to sell

(D) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and it is difficult to sell the old home

(E) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and the difficulty of selling the old home

The best or excellent answers get kudos. If all answers are excellent, all get kudos.
If one answer is comparatively outstanding, it alone gets kudos. Kudos are awarded after the OA is revealed.

Restatement of meaning is not required in order to be considered for kudos.

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.
--Jesse Jackson

Intern
Intern
Re: The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 09:33
since 'that' is used right after some reporting verb, such as said/announced/reported/conveyed, etc etc, and there is no sort of reporting happening since the actual subject is 'reasons'
Choice A and B are out.
Choice C and D can be easily identified as wrong, as all the reasons stated require parellesim, and these choices disturb the parallelism.

Remaining choice E is your answer. If you read it, it's making perfect sense

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Re: The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 11:10
E

The reason is there is no reporting happening.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 12:59
generis wrote:

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept a transfer are that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and the difficulty of selling the old home.

(A) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and the difficulty of selling the old home

(B) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and that it is difficult to sell the old home

(C) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and that the old home is difficult to sell

(D) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and it is difficult to sell the old home

(E) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and the difficulty of selling the old home

The best or excellent answers get kudos. If all answers are excellent, all get kudos.
If one answer is comparatively outstanding, it alone gets kudos. Kudos are awarded after the OA is revealed.

Restatement of meaning is not required in order to be considered for kudos.

The author is basically listing three reasons for an employee's unwillingness to accept a transfer.
In A and B, "that" is incorrectly used. "...reasons for transfer are that..." is weird and awkward.
In C, there is a parallelism error in “…that the old home is…”. Likewise in D, parallelism is violated through “…it is difficult to sell…”.

In E, we can see that the parallelism is maintained. “…reasons for unwillingness…are…rates, “greater cost…”, and “difficulty…”.
E must be the answer.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 18:21

(A) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and the difficulty of selling the old home( reasons are to be listed,use of that is incorrect)

(B) that mortgage rates are high, housing in the new location costs more, and that it is difficult to sell the old home( reasons are to be listed,use of that is incorrect)

(C) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and that the old home is difficult to sell( use of that distorts the parallelism)

(D) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and it is difficult to sell the old home( parallelism is not maintained)

(E) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and the difficulty of selling the old home( correct,all the reasons are listed,parallelism is maintained)

Will go with choice E

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 20:47

The most common reasons are A, B and C, given that all three fits a parallel structure.

(E) is correct because we have noun, noun, and noun.

Ans: (E)
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IESE '21 (S)
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.75
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 22:11
Although I could eliminate A-D from parallelism perspective, I still dont get what exactly is the error in using 'that'. can someone clarify please.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 22:35
krishna1988 wrote:
Although I could eliminate A-D from parallelism perspective, I still don't get what exactly is the error in using 'that'. can someone clarify please.

I don't think "that" is wrong. Perhaps, "that" has to be followed by a clause.

The most obvious flaw is the lack of parallel structure as indicated.

If (A) were to be, The reasons are that A is... B is... and C is ...

then (A) could be correct. Experts are welcomed to chime in.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 22:55
In A and B, use of that is not required as the reasons are to be listed after are.

In C and D, parallelism is not followed , the phrases need to start with the subject.

E is the correct ans that follows parallelism.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 23:07
generis wrote:

Here are my two cents:
Since "that" is a singular pronoun and the subject of the sentence is reasons, Option A and B are incorrect

Now with options C, D and E, we look for parallelism, as it contains the parallel marker "and"
(C) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and that the old home is difficult to sell -> greater cost of housing not parallel with that the old home is difficult to sell
(D) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and it is difficult to sell the old home -> greater cost of housing not parallel with it is difficult to sell the old home
(E) high mortgage rates, the greater cost of housing in the new location, and the difficulty of selling the old home -> greater cost of housing parallel with difficulty of selling

Correct answer -> E

Currently taking a holistic approach towards GMAT.

Be a good critique, If you don't like my approach.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 23:13
KanishkM wrote:
generis wrote:

Here are my two cents:
Since "that" is a singular pronoun and the subject of the sentence is reasons, Option A and B are incorrect

I don't think "that" is used as a pronoun in this sentence.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 09:07
lary301254M7 wrote:
KanishkM wrote:

Here are my two cents:

I don't think "that" is used as a pronoun in this sentence.

I need to look more into the usage of "that" then.

Then the only shortcoming for this sentence was the lack of parallelism.

Currently taking a holistic approach towards GMAT.

Be a good critique, If you don't like my approach.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 20:16
generis wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• Choice A is incorrect because the noun phrase the difficulty of selling the old house
cannot grammatically complete the structure begun by that.
Clauses, such as those explaining the first two reasons, are needed after that

• The corrected sentence will have all three reasons listed in grammatically parallel form.
The phrasing of the third reason in choices B, C, and D departs from the parallel wording of the
first two by introducing a that . . . or an it . . . construction.

• Choice E is best
COMMENTS
First, welcome,
GuptaSapan , onlynithin , krishna1988 , at ritu1009 , and KanishkM . Glad to see you posting!
(If I have welcomed you before, my current welcome is a refresher. I read hundreds of posts by people on lots of threads.)

I am also glad to see Prateekj05 , sonusaini1 , and lary301254M7 ; GMAT Club thrives because
people take the time to write good posts and ask good questions.

I am always glad to see dialogue, such as that between
lary301254M7 and krishna1988 . This forum is a really good place to exchange ideas.

Okay, the that situation.

Usage of that on the GMAT is discussed in this post by GMAT Ninja.
Usage of that is also discussed in THIS POST and THIS POST.
All three should take no more than 15 minutes to read.
I recommend reading and making flash cards from all three.

In this case, that in option A is not an article (that white house over there); not a pronoun (a voice like that of an angel); not an essential modifier (the house that Jack built);
and not, as some have noted, a that required by an idiomatic verb (usually a reporting or knowing verb, e.g., believe that, think that, say that, suggest that).
Rather, in option A, THAT is a subordinate conjunction that must be followed by a clause or clauses containing both subject and verb.

What follows the "that" in option A is okay until we get to the NOUN phrase with no verb difficulty (of selling old houses).

Option E is the best because it uses three noun phrases anchored by: rates, cost, and difficulty.

Although parallelism dominates and everyone here rejected (A), the reason to reject (A) has more to do with
what must follow a substantive that clause (namely, a noun AND a verb) than with parallelism.

Did I mention I really like those three posts on that? ;) :cool:

Nobody has listed the correct reason to reject the use of that in option A. (At least as I read the answers. Correct me if I am wrong.)
I am happy that option A bothered everyone.

How about this suggestion: I will give kudos to all because I completely forgot to post the OE till now, and
maybe you all could take me up on my suggestion about reading those posts?

Whether or not you accept the "deal": kudos to all. :)

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.
--Jesse Jackson

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 22:43
E maintains parallelism. “…reasons for unwillingness…are…rates, “greater cost…”, and “difficulty…”. Hence, E is the answer.
In A and B, “that” before “mortgage” is wrong. “reasons for transfer are that…” is awkward.
In C, parallelism is violated through “…that the old home is…”.
In D, parallelism is violated through “…it is difficult to sell…”.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2018, 22:43

The most common reasons for an employee’s unwillingness to accept

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap