It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Norwegian government started legal action recently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 3

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The Norwegian government started legal action recently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:06) correct 45% (01:13) wrong based on 440 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Norwegian government started legal action recently to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it could ensnare countries outside the Eurozone that do not adopt the law.

1) to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

2) to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax; the tax could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

3) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone, which do not adopt the law

4) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax on the grounds that it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

5) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax due to the fact that it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

Confused between b & d
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hharpreet on 12 Jan 2015, 19:31, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 3

G

Kudos [?]: 9068 [0], given: 1154

Re: The Norwegian government started legal action recently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 15:41

Kudos [?]: 9068 [0], given: 1154

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2015, 12:11
Please check my method and correct me if I am wrong:

Option A and B are eliminated because of the phrase- "Try and Block". "Try to Block" is idiomatically correct.

Option C and E state that the law WILL ensnare countries outside the Eurozone whereas the question states that it "Coult"

Which leaves us with C

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2015, 12:11
Please check my method and correct me if I am wrong:

Option A and B are eliminated because of the phrase- "Try and Block". "Try to Block" is idiomatically correct.

Option C and E state that the law WILL ensnare countries outside the Eurozone whereas the question states that it "Coult"

Which leaves us with D*

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 02:51
The Norwegian government started legal action recently to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it could ensnare countries outside the Eurozone that do not adopt the law.

A) to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

B) to try and block the so-called Robin Hood tax; the tax could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

C) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone, which do not adopt the law

D) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax on the grounds that it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

E) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax due to the fact that it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law

->"to try to block" is the correct idiom, A & B are out
-> Which in option C refers to the Euro zone, hence wrong, C out
-> "on the grounds that it COULD" is preferred to "due to the fact that it WILL"

OA is D

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 49

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 79

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 05:11
Although I picked the right answer, I am bit confused in regard to the intended meaning of the sentence.....

"that do not adopt the law" ---> is it the Euro Zone 'that do not adopt the law' or the countries 'that do not adopt the law'?

Can someone please share his/her thoughts on the same?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 79

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 19

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
DesiGmat wrote:
Although I picked the right answer, I am bit confused in regard to the intended meaning of the sentence.....

"that do not adopt the law" ---> is it the Euro Zone 'that do not adopt the law' or the countries 'that do not adopt the law'?

Can someone please share his/her thoughts on the same?

Thanks

Hi,

The intended meaning is the countries "that do not adopt the law" and these countries lie outside the Euro Zone.

In regards to which is correct - "to try and block" or "to try to block", lets check the meaning. Here the Norwegian government wants to stop the RH Tax. So they are going to do one action : try blocking it, where they may or may not succeed. They are not doing 2 different actions of 1st "Trying" and then a 2nd separate action of "Blocking". I.e. the "Try" leads to "Block" if successful and we should not use "and". So it should not be "To Try and Block" as correct form is - "To Try to Block". Hope I was able to clarify this.

--------

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 02:46
Hi guys!
I have a question about C. Is it correct to say that "outside Euro zone" modifies "countries" and hence we can use "which" after modifier?. I read about this possibility in SC guide. Please clarify. Thanks!

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 05:34
C) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone, which do not adopt the law -----1. ‘Because it will ensnare’ seems too strongly worded. 2. Which certainly refers to the countries; Note that the verb is plural and it does not refer to the Zone, which is singular. So C is passable.

D to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax on the grounds that it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law--- Could ensnare is fine, definitely acceptable at the start of the campaign;2. However, the ‘that’ in Euro Zone is a restrictive pronoun, therefore must refer to the Euro Zone ; There is no elbow-room for the restrictive pronouns to modify any noun other than what is in the front. So all choices that say “ Euro-zone that” are inherently flawed. This leaves only C, I suppose

That is the reason C is better than D.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

The Norwegian government started legal action recently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 23:03
Hi daagh, my reasoning is exactly same as yours, 'which' can jump over and refer 'countries' but 'that' can only refer to the previous noun 'euro zone' but the OA is given as D.

So is our reasoning wrong or is there some other split that we are not aware of ? :)

Last edited by Swaroopdev on 06 Aug 2015, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 01:59
I am not aware of any other split that justifies "Euro Zone that"; The original poster might fetch the OE, if possible.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 16:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Re: The Norwegian government started legal action recently   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2017, 16:39

The Norwegian government started legal action recently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap