Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Conclusionx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Volunteer Expert
Re: The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent [#permalink]
MentorTutoring wrote:
Asad wrote:
MentorTutoring wrote:
In a word, yes. You understand the logic of the passage and correct answer perfectly. Since 2.19 is still less than 2.2, the U.S. would still have spent a larger percentage of its GNP on R & D than West Germany, in particular, did (ha ha... a reference to our earlier dialogue on a different question).

Cheers,
Andrew

MentorTutoring
When I wrote this explanation, I also notice the word "did" after 'than'. :) :)
So, do you think that both choice D and D1 (creative one) are legit for this CR?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks__

Yes, as long as the number for West Germany is changed to something less than 2.2, your proposed (D1) works fine. Choice (D) would remain true unless the number for Japan were changed to something greater than or equal to 2.2.

- Andrew

MentorTutoring
Thank you so much for your help.
One more question:
This one is just draw the conclusion question. So, what's our job here, actually? Is it our job EITHER to paraphrase whole the para that is given in the passage OR just to draw a conclusion that must fit WHOLE the passage (NOT just considering some facts that we like more)?
After changing the numeric 3.2 to 2.19:
If we think that the correct choice is D, then we're not considering West Germany (here we just combine some facts that we like more!)
But, if we think the proposed D1 as the correct one, we are considering EVERYTHING that happens in the passage.
So, here is my query again WHY we don't make such a conclusion, which definitely fits WHOLE the passage's feelings (talking about to add West German in the conclusion)?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Re: The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
MentorTutoring
One more question:
This one is just draw the conclusion question. So, what's our job here, actually? Is it our job EITHER to paraphrase whole the para that is given in the passage OR just to draw a conclusion that must fit WHOLE the passage (NOT just considering some facts that we like more)?
If we think that the correct choice is D, then we're not considering West Germany (here we just combine some facts that we like more!)
But, if we think the proposed D1 as the correct one, we are considering EVERYTHING that happens in the passage.
So, here is my query again WHY we don't make such a conclusion, which definitely fits WHOLE the passage's feelings (talking about to add West German in the conclusion)?

I almost addressed this very concern in my last post, but I thought it might be a case of providing too much information. The question itself is not concerned with your interpretation of the whole passage, just that you draw some conclusion properly from the information given. We do not need to concern ourselves with both Japan and West Germany here, especially in light of the fact that the figure tied to the growth of the latter country is, in fact, greater than the one provided for the U.S. at its lower point. This sort of thing happens all the time in CR questions. Sometimes the answer comes from the conclusion, sometimes a premise or two, or sometimes the background information that might seem irrelevant at first. Just stick to what the question is asking and look to get rid of what you know goes against it. Keep your approach simple.

- Andrew
MentorTutoring wrote:
Asad wrote:
MentorTutoring
One more question:

I almost addressed this very concern in my last post, but I thought it might be a case of providing too much information. The question itself is not concerned with your interpretation of the whole passage, just that you draw some conclusion properly from the information given. We do not need to concern ourselves with both Japan and West Germany here, especially in light of the fact that the figure tied to the growth of the latter country is, in fact, greater than the one provided for the U.S. at its lower point. This sort of thing happens all the time in CR questions. Sometimes the answer comes from the conclusion, sometimes a premise or two, or sometimes the background information that might seem irrelevant at first. Just stick to what the question is asking and look to get rid of what you know goes against it. Keep your approach simple.

- Andrew

Thank you again for the nice help, but you confused me here. :) :? :?
This one is the draw the conclusion question. So, why do we need to make a conclusion from a conclusion?

I did not see any official draw the conclusion questions where the correct answer option came from considering JUST ONE fact! Can you help me by giving one draw the conclusion questions where the correct choice came from just considering one fact (premise)? Your help will be appreciated for sure!
Thanks__
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Thank you again for the nice help, but you confused me here. :) :? :?
This one is the draw the conclusion question. So, why do we need to make a conclusion from a conclusion?

I did not see any official draw the conclusion questions where the correct answer option came from considering JUST ONE fact! Can you help me by giving one draw the conclusion questions where the correct choice came from just considering one fact (premise)? Your help will be appreciated for sure!
Thanks__

No, you do not need to draw a conclusion from a conclusion. I was speaking of CR questions in general. And if you are too worried about this or any other question differing too much from an official question, feel free to skip it and practice another official question. If you poke around this forum, though, you will find plenty of different kinds of questions. Just learn what you can from them and look to apply that knowledge to other questions you may come across in the future, nothing more.

- Andrew
Thank you for your nice suggestion.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Quote:
The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent Office dropped from 56000 in 1971 to 45000 in 1978. Spending on research and development, which peaked at 3 percent of the gross national product (GNP) in 1964, was only 2.2 percent of the GNP in 1978. During this period, when United States percentage was steadily decreasing, West Germany and Japan increased the percentage of their GNP???s spent on research and development to 3.2 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively.

Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?

(D) Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan.

Hello,
My honorable experts,
AaronPond, RonPurewal, MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, AjiteshArun, ccooley, DmitryFarber, GMATNinja, egmat, generis, VeritasKarishma, MentorTutoring
I'm going to make creativity to the author's part so that i can understand this sorta things perfectly. Could you help me to understand the real scenario of this CR, please?
IF the value 3.2 is replaced with 2.19 can we consider the choice D is still legit?
If not, is there any possibility to make the following choice as legit?
(D1) Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan and West Germany.

Yes, if you want to include West Germany, its high figure should be less than 2.2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
Send PM
The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent [#permalink]
Hi All,

This is not an unresolved doubt, but actually is a query that I could resolve by myself and that want to mention here because it may help some of you.

Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan.

Reading the word consistently troubled me at first, because I thought that what if in one of the years, US could only spend, let's say, 0.2% of its GNP, which could be lower than the proportion spent by Japan.

Then I read the part in the stimulus saying "During this period, when United States percentage was steadily decreasing"

....and I got my answer.

Hence D is conclusively correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
daludada wrote:
Dear karishma,

If the USA's GNP was $100 and it spent 2.2% of it for R&D, then it spent $2.2

If Japan has a GNP of $1000 and it spent 1.2% of it for R&D, then it spent $12.
Going by the % is a correct way to judge a greater contribution?

can u pl enlighten?VeritasKarishma

Yes, percentage is the right way to go about comparing because it is clearly mentioned in the option that the comparison is in percentage terms.

(d) Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan.

HI VeritasKarishma,

How can we be very sure that the percentage spent by US during that period never went below that of Japan? Cant it be the case that it dipped below say 1 % in any year and then increased back to 2.2%?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
neelugarg33 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
daludada wrote:
Dear karishma,

If the USA's GNP was $100 and it spent 2.2% of it for R&D, then it spent $2.2

If Japan has a GNP of $1000 and it spent 1.2% of it for R&D, then it spent $12.
Going by the % is a correct way to judge a greater contribution?

can u pl enlighten?VeritasKarishma

Yes, percentage is the right way to go about comparing because it is clearly mentioned in the option that the comparison is in percentage terms.

(d) Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan.

HI VeritasKarishma,

How can we be very sure that the percentage spent by US during that period never went below that of Japan? Cant it be the case that it dipped below say 1 % in any year and then increased back to 2.2%?

The argument tells you "... United States percentage was steadily decreasing..."
So the decrease was steady from 3 to 2.2, not abrupt one year and then back again next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
We don't know anything about between, we only know about 1964 and 1978?
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
We don't know anything about between, we only know about 1964 and 1978?

Actually, lakshya14, we do have enough information to tell us about this in-between period. Look at the passage again, this time with highlights:

Quote:
The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent Office dropped from 56000 in 1971 to 45000 in 1978. Spending on research and development, which peaked at 3 percent of the gross national product (GNP) in 1964, was only 2.2 percent of the GNP in 1978. During this period, when United States percentage was steadily decreasing, West Germany and Japan increased the percentage of their GNP’s spent on research and development to 3.2 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively.

In other words, we know that the U.S. dropped from spending 3 percent of its GNP on R&D in 1964 to 2.2 percent by 1978, and that such spending was steadily decreasing. Meanwhile, we are told that during this period, Japan increased its percentage of R&D investment from its own GNP to 1.6 percent. Therefore, we know that the statement in (D) is correct: the U.S. must have spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan. After all, 2.2 is greater than 1.6, and the correct information from the passage is being compared.

I hope that helps clarify the matter.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
The number of patents granted to inventors by the United States Patent Office dropped from 56000 in 1971 to 45000 in 1978. Spending on research and development, which peaked at 3 percent of the gross national product (GNP) in 1964, was only 2.2 percent of the GNP in 1978. During this period, when United States percentage was steadily decreasing, West Germany and Japan increased the percentage of their GNP’s spent on research and development to 3.2 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively.

Since it says that US in the period from 1964 to 1978 reduced its GDP percentage on RD from 3 to 2.2 and during this period, the percentage was steadily decreasing, we could confidently conclude that RD always accounted for more than 2.2 percent of GDP during the 1964 - 1971 period

(A) There is direct relationship between the size of a nation’s GNP and the number of inventions it produces. No information provided in the argument could be used to support this conclusion

(B) Japan and Germany spent more money on research and development in 1978 than did the United States. We only have information about the percentage, not the actual amount of money

(C) The amount of money a nation spends on research and development is directly related to the number of inventions patented in that nation. Again, no info in the argument to support this claim

(D) Between 1964 and 1978 the United States consistently spent a larger percentage of its GNP on research and development than did Japan. Oh yes. While US spent more than 2.2 percent between 1964 and 1978, Japan spent at most 1.6 percent during the same period

(E) Both West Germany and Japan will soon surpass the United States in the number of patents granted to inventors. The two countries, Japan and Germany, started to spend more during the period 1964 - 1971, but no info about later period is available, therefore it is not possible to draw conclusion about how the money would be spent in following years. Also, no direct correlation could be drawn between amount of money spent and number of patent granted
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
OFFICIAL GMAT EXPLANATION

From 1964 to 1978, spending on research and development never fell below 2.2 percent of the GNP in the United States and never rose above 1.6 percent in Japan. Therefore choice D follows from the information given and is the best answer.

Since no information is provided about the size of the GNP of any of the countries mentioned, neither choice A nor choice B is supported. The amount of information given about numbers of patents granted is insufficient to establish any general relation between spending and numbers of patents, so choice C is unsupported; and given that there is no information about the number of inventions patented in Japan and West Germany, choice E is not supported either.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

(a) There is direct relationship between the size of a nation’s GNP and the number of inventions it produces.
(b) Japan and Germany spent more money on research and development in 1978 than did the United States
(c) The amount of money a nation spends on research and development is directly related to the number of inventions patented in that nation.
(e) Both West Germany and Japan will soon surpass the United States in the number of patents granted to inventors.

OA later some discussion

Premises:

- Patents in US dropped from 56000 in 1971 to 45000 in 1978.
- Spending on R&D, dropped from 3 percent of GNP in 1964, to 2.2 percent of the GNP in 1978.
- From 1964 to 1978, West Germany and Japan increased R&D spending to 3.2 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively. (So in 1964, their spending was less than 3.2% and 1.6% respectively and they increased it to these numbers by 1978)

(a) There is direct relationship between the size of a nation’s GNP and the number of inventions it produces.
No link given between the site of GNP and number of inventions in the argument. We might think that often, this will be the case but we are asked for the conclusion supported by the argument given. Hence this will not be our answer.

(b) Japan and Germany spent more money on research and development in 1978 than did the United States
We don't know the relative GNP of the three countries and hence we cannot say who actually spent more/less money.

(c) The amount of money a nation spends on research and development is directly related to the number of inventions patented in that nation.
Again, the link is not given in the argument. All we are given is that in US, in a certain time frame, number of patents reduced and % of GNP spent on R&D reduced. There is no connection between number roof patents and money spent. Also, even if money spent had also reduced in US in that time frame, it doesn't imply that that will always be the case. A nation could spend a ton of money on R&D but be unable to come up with any inventions.

From 1964 to 1978, Japan increased its % of GNP spending on R & D from a smaller value (say 1%) to 1.6%.
From 1964 to 1978, US decreased its % of GNP spending on R & D from 3% to 2.2%.
In this entire time frame, US is spending more (as a % of GNP) than Japan. Hence, this is correct.

(e) Both West Germany and Japan will soon surpass the United States in the number of patents granted to inventors.
We have no numbers on the number of patents of both countries hence we cannot conclude this.

Answer (D)

What about the possibility of variability in D? e.g. In one year for example the percentage of GNP spent on research and development in the US dipped to, say, 1%?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

OA later some discussion

Premises:

- Patents in US dropped from 56000 in 1971 to 45000 in 1978.
- Spending on R&D, dropped from 3 percent of GNP in 1964, to 2.2 percent of the GNP in 1978.
- From 1964 to 1978, West Germany and Japan increased R&D spending to 3.2 percent and 1.6 percent, respectively. (So in 1964, their spending was less than 3.2% and 1.6% respectively and they increased it to these numbers by 1978)

No link given between the site of GNP and number of inventions in the argument. We might think that often, this will be the case but we are asked for the conclusion supported by the argument given. Hence this will not be our answer.

We don't know the relative GNP of the three countries and hence we cannot say who actually spent more/less money.

Again, the link is not given in the argument. All we are given is that in US, in a certain time frame, number of patents reduced and % of GNP spent on R&D reduced. There is no connection between number roof patents and money spent. Also, even if money spent had also reduced in US in that time frame, it doesn't imply that that will always be the case. A nation could spend a ton of money on R&D but be unable to come up with any inventions.

From 1964 to 1978, Japan increased its % of GNP spending on R & D from a smaller value (say 1%) to 1.6%.
From 1964 to 1978, US decreased its % of GNP spending on R & D from 3% to 2.2%.
In this entire time frame, US is spending more (as a % of GNP) than Japan. Hence, this is correct.

We have no numbers on the number of patents of both countries hence we cannot conclude this.

Answer (D)

Why do u think that there is no causation at answer choice C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
KarishmaB
It is mentioned that the percentage decreased steadily for USA -- which means that it went from 3.6 to 2.2 in a steady way.
This 'kind of' helps us say that USA was consistently above Japan in terms of the GNP percentage for R&D comparison.

I think a word similar to 'steadily' should also be used to describe the rise in percentage for Japan R&D spend as a %age of GNP to 1.6

So that we can be absolutely sure that the USA was consistently above Japan in all those years and that there were no abrupt spikes in numbers for Japan.

Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts