It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1187 [0], given: 100

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2009, 19:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:07) correct 33% (01:47) wrong based on 261 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and toughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

(A) crests and toughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and toughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and toughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and toughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(E) stationary crests and toughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Last edited by souvik101990 on 22 Oct 2017, 22:46, edited 4 times in total.
Reformatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 1187 [0], given: 100

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 767 [0], given: 17

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2009, 21:10
Two Subjects

Two S-V cases..hence between C&E

is it C?

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 767 [0], given: 17

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 09:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MY pick is C as well as the wave can not form stationary crests....is refers to the air pattern

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 307 [2], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as “standing waves.”

A. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
B. crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are
C. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is
D. stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

OG 2011
OG 2012 SC95 P674
I want to understand why the option (E) is "awkward and unclear".

Last edited by Skywalker18 on 22 Apr 2017, 07:31, edited 5 times in total.
Corrected the question

Kudos [?]: 307 [2], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 3

Schools: HBS (R2), Ross (R2)
WE 1: 3.5 yrs sales & project mgmt at financial services firm

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2010, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

This option omits the restrictive relative clause "that remain stationary". One of the requirements of a restrictive clause is that the sentence wouldn't make sense or mean the same thing without it. In this case, "although they are formed by rapidly moving air" is providing a counterpoint without having a main point to counter.

Maybe another example would illustrate this best:

Bananas that are yellow are tastiest although brown ones are good for baking. <--Correct
Bananas are tastiest although brown ones are good for baking. <--"Awkward and unclear" as OG-11 would put it

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS (R2), Ross (R2)
WE 1: 3.5 yrs sales & project mgmt at financial services firm

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2010, 13:30
I actually think C is correct; I was only attempting to explain why E wasn't the best choice.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2010, 12:26
Using the "split" principle, we can create 3-2 split between options A, B and C, and the remaining options. D and E are more concise (principle of concision) hence A, B and C are ruled out. "Standing waves" refer to the "pattern" which is the subject, hence the agreeing verb should be singular "is".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 09:21
sacmanitin wrote:
The Peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed,produce ripples in the air flowing over them;the resulting flow with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,arepattern, known as "standing waves".

A. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,are
B. crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air ,are
C. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,is
D. stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,are
E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air ,is

friends its a OG-11 SC question , i want to understand why the option (E) is "awkward and unclear".Thanks in advance.

The resulting flow is the subject after the comma. Thus, eliminate everything except for C and E.

E is out because they do not refer to the air and distorts the original meaning of the sentence.

Thus, I think it's C, too.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [4], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
Use of although is the key here. It should be contrasting two things which is clearly visible in C and not in E.

Take away -->

1) "although" needs to be used to contrast two parallel noun phrases or phrases. "X although Y" X and Y needs to be in parallel
2) One of the requirements of a restrictive clause is that the sentence wouldn't make sense or mean the same thing without it."That remains stationary"

Kudos [?]: 63 [4], given: 13

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 76

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2010, 07:44
bizaru wrote:
The resulting flow is the subject after the comma. Thus, eliminate everything except for C and E.

E is out because they do not refer to the air and distorts the original meaning of the sentence.

Thus, I think it's C, too.

I also think the answer is C. It's a problem of subject-verb agreement, and flow being singular, the verb should be "is" and not "are". That's why only C and E are taking in consideration.

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 76

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2010, 01:17
sacmanitin wrote:
The Peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed,produce ripples in the air flowing over them;the resulting flow with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,arepattern, known as "standing waves".

A. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,are
B. crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air ,are
C. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,is
D. stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly,are
E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air ,is

friends its a OG-11 SC question , i want to understand why the option (E) is "awkward and unclear".Thanks in advance.

For the flow are is wrong. CHoice C and E are left. In E is seems that only crests are stationary not troughs. Answer is C

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2010, 09:20
I pick C.

Same logic as the above.

What's the OA?

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 38

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2010, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
sacmanitin wrote:

About 'E'

its unnecessary passive and it changes the meaning as well

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 30

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 15:48
C for me as well
Earlier i thought of E as an option but I'm wrong (E chnages the meaning)

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 10

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:24
C for me.

option (E) is worng for few reasons:

stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air is

(1) 'stationary' applies to crests only which is incorrect
(2) the sentence is supposed to show contrast with the help of 'although'...something like this...."crests and troughs are [stationary] although the air that forms them is [rapidly moving]....option (E) is not showing this contrast and is changing the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 11:30
subject - flow - singular
verb needs to be singular -- hence eliminate answer choice with 'are' in it.

Left with C and E.

E is definitely awkward to read. Hence C should be correct answer choice.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 10:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over
them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms
them is moving rapidly, are
known as "standing waves."

A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

(D) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

(E) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

Last edited by Gnpth on 07 Oct 2014, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the topic for new project

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

WE 1: Engineering

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 10:48
D makes more sense, but I see that I am wrong !!!!! :roll: Give us all 5 choice.

P.S - Be careful of sub-standard prep material

All things are possible to those who believe.

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 20:49
Here you go. I have extracted this question from OG10.

A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is
(D) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

(E) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

I can't tell between C&D, why one is preferred to the other. Can anyone help out?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 248 [1], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
You forgot, "... is moving rapidly" on your original post.

In my opinion, C is right because of the meaning of crests and troughs themselves.

Crest means the highest part of a hill or mountain range.

So it's probably expected to be stationary to begin with.

Air forms troughs but not crest.

So it is with Crest alone and troughs that blah blah blah.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 248 [1], given: 65

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2010, 21:26

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 97 posts ] 

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap