It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4422

Kudos [?]: 8432 [0], given: 102

The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 14:21
Expert's post
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (00:37) correct 50% (00:46) wrong based on 644 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not so much to convert to Christianity the last non-Christian people in Europe, and also for establishing control over the commerce of the entire Baltic region.
(A) and also for establishing
(B) yet to establish
(C) while establishing
(D) as to establish
(E) but more for establishing


For a discussion of the different kinds of verbals, as well as the OE to this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/verbals-on ... orrection/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8432 [0], given: 102

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 77

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-05-2015
GPA: 3.88
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 19:23
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry wrote:
The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not so much to convert to Christianity the last non-Christian people in Europe, and also for establishing control over the commerce of the entire Baltic region.
(A) and also for establishing
(B) yet to establish
(C) while establishing
(D) as to establish
(E) but more to establish


For a discussion of the different kinds of verbals, as well as the OE to this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/verbals-on ... orrection/

Mike :-)


Hi,

Do we not require a opposite clause in case of Not so much.

I go with E.

can you plz explain?
_________________

Thanks,
AB

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4422

Kudos [?]: 8432 [5], given: 102

Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2014, 11:16
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bhatiamanu05 wrote:
Hi,
Do we not require a opposite clause in case of Not so much?
I go with E. can you plz explain?

Dear bhatiamanu05,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The structure "not such much P as Q" definitely puts two elements in parallel. Those elements could be nouns, adjective, prepositional phrases, clauses, participial phrases, etc. Here, in choice (E), they are two infinitive phrases. As long as P & Q have the same grammatical form, the parallelism works. Here are some examples.
Two nouns: For dinner, I want not so much soup as stew.
Two adjectives: He is not so much clever as resourceful.
Prepositional phrase: She drove to the train station not so much in a rush as with a clear sense of purpose.
In all of these, there is an implied clause following the word "as."
For dinner, I want not so much soup as I want stew.
She drove to the train station not so much in a rush as she drove to the train station with a clear sense of purpose
In those versions, I have included the words that fill out the second clause. Notice, those versions would NEVER be correct on the GMAT, because they are bloated and wordy and awkward. The sleek and concise versions above would be preferable. Dropping repeated words in parallel is not only acceptable but absolutely necessary in terms of the GMAT's standards of rhetoric. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8432 [5], given: 102

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 77

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-05-2015
GPA: 3.88
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2014, 21:13
mikemcgarry wrote:
bhatiamanu05 wrote:
Hi,
Do we not require a opposite clause in case of Not so much?
I go with E. can you plz explain?

Dear bhatiamanu05,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The structure "not such much P as Q" definitely puts two elements in parallel. Those elements could be nouns, adjective, prepositional phrases, clauses, participial phrases, etc. Here, in choice (E), they are two infinitive phrases. As long as P & Q have the same grammatical form, the parallelism works. Here are some examples.
Two nouns: For dinner, I want not so much soup as stew.
Two adjectives: He is not so much clever as resourceful.
Prepositional phrase: She drove to the train station not so much in a rush as with a clear sense of purpose.
In all of these, there is an implied clause following the word "as."
For dinner, I want not so much soup as I want stew.
She drove to the train station not so much in a rush as she drove to the train station with a clear sense of purpose
In those versions, I have included the words that fill out the second clause. Notice, those versions would NEVER be correct on the GMAT, because they are bloated and wordy and awkward. The sleek and concise versions above would be preferable. Dropping repeated words in parallel is not only acceptable but absolutely necessary in terms of the GMAT's standards of rhetoric. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Yes all these make sense.

Thanks..
_________________

Thanks,
AB

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 9

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10118

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 06:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Posts: 46

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 51

Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 11:01
bhatiamanu05 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not so much to convert to Christianity the last non-Christian people in Europe, and also for establishing control over the commerce of the entire Baltic region.
(A) and also for establishing
(B) yet to establish
(C) while establishing
(D) as to establish
(E) but more to establish


For a discussion of the different kinds of verbals, as well as the OE to this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/verbals-on ... orrection/

Mike :-)


Hi,

Do we not require a opposite clause in case of Not so much.

I go with E.

can you plz explain?


No so much X as to Y is an idiom. The pattern mentioned must match amongst the answer choices.

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 51

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 906

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 69

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 14:05
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry wrote:
The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not so much to convert to Christianity the last non-Christian people in Europe, and also for establishing control over the commerce of the entire Baltic region.
(A) and also for establishing
(B) yet to establish
(C) while establishing
(D) as to establish
(E) but more to establish


For a discussion of the different kinds of verbals, as well as the OE to this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/verbals-on ... orrection/

Mike :-)


Correct idiom is 'not so much X as Y'

Only option D mentions this idiom correctly, and hence is the answer
_________________

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Posts: 37

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 210

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 05:29
I agree that (D) uses the correct idiom, but I wanted to know can Much usage in the non-underlined part and More usage in (E), be a reason to eliminate (E).

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 210

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4422

Kudos [?]: 8432 [0], given: 102

Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 12:02
believer700 wrote:
I agree that (D) uses the correct idiom, but I wanted to know can Much usage in the non-underlined part and More usage in (E), be a reason to eliminate (E).

Dear believer700,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Your question made me realize that we had edited the question in the Magoosh product and never made the change here. Take a look at (E) now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8432 [0], given: 102

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 183

GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 08:58
Hi mikemcgarry,

Thanks for your effort for such a wonderful question and explanation
Good to know an idiom "not so much x as y"
Still,I wonder why this sentence "," between x and as y in the given question?
Please enlighten me :oops:

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 183

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 175

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 08:13
not so much to X as to Y is an idiom.
only D has it

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 935

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 22:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not so much to convert to Christianity the last non-Christian people in Europe, and also for establishing control over the commerce of the entire Baltic region.
(A) and also for establishing
(B) yet to establish
(C) while establishing
(D) as to establish
(E) but more for establishing


For a discussion of the different kinds of verbals, as well as the OE to this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/verbals-on ... orrection/

Mike :-)


This question is testing IDIOM knowledge.

The correct IDIOM should be "Not So Much X as Y"

Also, we need parallelism between "to convert" and "to establish"

Hence, D
_________________

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Re: The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 22:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The political motivation behind the Livonian Crusade was not

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.