Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [28]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [10]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [5]
Send PM
Re: The premise with which the multiculturalists begin is unexceptional: t [#permalink]
Kudos
Really difficult para, but this is how I approached it. workout, kksen18 , ultraaristo18 ,

Summary:
Para 1: Multiculture --> premise: Small grps can change culture of large groups. E.g. of Students
Para 2: need of therapeutic curriculum that explains/interpret "indirect" form of racism
Para 3: Stringent Attitude of a ppl who support multiculturalism is explained -- author seems to be very critical
Para 4: this para is very difficult to interpret. All I understood that the author is explaining about some reversal; going away from traditional beliefs.
Para 5: At a high level, multiculturalists have a view that is not generally acceptable so they are jumping ahead and stating that race and gender inherently show "incorrect treatment/malfunction (oppression). Again, with the example given in last statement, author seems to be critical/questioning.
====
With this, let's take a look at each question separately:
Q3: The author speaks about the “politics of identity” that Phillip Green, a political scientist at Smith, notes is all-consuming for many of the students. Considering the subject of the passage, which one of the following best describes what the author means by “the politics of identity”?

This is a simple question to answer if you understand the implicit meaning mentioned in the para 2. Here is the para 2:
Phillip Green, a political scientist at Smith and a thoughtful proponent of multiculturalism, notes that for a significant portion of the students the politics of identity is all-consuming. Students he says “are unhappy with the thin gruel of rationalism. They require a therapeutic curriculum to overcome not straightforward racism but ignorant stereotyping.”

Interpretation:
Students are unhappy about indirect (thin) racism. Students feel that there's no direct racism or no one is directly differentiating them based on their race or ethnicity but there's a sense of indirect racism that prevails amongst students. Let's consider another example: if there's a group of 5-6 Afro students, there are good chances that these members could form their own group and express such indirect racial experiences with each other. So author here is referring to such grp of students and their activity of discussing the racism among themselves as 'politics of identity'.

Author believes that if these students are taught that this thin racism is NOT deliberately done then there are good chances that students will not feel unhappy. Author says that Phillip Green recommended having a therapeutic curriculum that 'perhaps' teaches other race ppl that racism is happening due to ignorance. At the same time, this curriculum can also teach how to avoid such 'undeliberate' ways of racism.

Ok? now let's look at each choice.

(A) The attempt to discover individual identities through political action:
My explanation: Incorrect: Author is not referring to discovering identities through politics.

(B) The political agenda that aspires to create a new pride of identity for Americans
My explanation: Incorrect: There is no political agenda. Racism happens due to ignorance.

(C) The current obsession for therapy groups that help individuals discover their inner selves
My explanation: Incorrect: Again, the purpose of these therapy sessions are to help remove misunderstanding as well as teach how not to contribute to racism 'indirectly'.

(D) The trend among minority students to discover their identities in their ethnic groups rather than in their individuality
My explanation: Correct: this option aligns with the explanation given above.

(E) The increased political activism of minorities on college campuses
My explanation: Incorrect: again, there's no political activity being discussed here.

I hope this is clear.

-------------
please give kudos even if you disagree. Typing out such a detailed explanation deserves many kudos :-)

Originally posted by Cinematiccuisine on 22 Oct 2018, 12:49.
Last edited by Cinematiccuisine on 22 Oct 2018, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [4]
Send PM
Re: The premise with which the multiculturalists begin is unexceptional: t [#permalink]
Kudos
workout, kksen18 , ultraaristo18 ,

Q4: The author states that in a “kindlier version” of multiculturalism, minorities discover “that they can play a part in molding the larger culture even as they are molded by it.” If no new ethnic groups were incorporated into the American culture for many centuries to come, which one of the following would be the most probable outcome of this “kindlier version”?

Meaning:
For this, let's look at the Para 1:
In what sounds like a reflection of traditional American pluralism, the multiculturalists argue that we must recognize difference, that difference is legitimate; in its kindlier versions, multiculturalism represents the discovery on the part of minority groups that they can play a part in molding the larger culture even as they are molded by it.

It means,
1) when a group of different race/cast/ethnic members join the larger American culture --> they adapt themselves to larger American culture.
2) At the same time, larger American culture can be adapted /changed/molded to the trends OR nuances offered by these smaller ethnic groups as each grp represents their own unique characteristics.
3) As per question, if no ethnic groups are incorporated into larger American culture, then the larger culture will prevail. - very simple, isn't it?
Let's look at each option and see which option maps to our analysis.

(A) At some point in the future, there would be only one culture with no observable ethnic differences.
My explanation: Correct. Aligns with our analogy.

(B) Eventually the dominant culture would overwhelm the minority cultures, who would then lose their ethnic identities.
My explanation: incorrect option. It's not about overwhelming.

(C) The multiplicity of ethnic groups would remain but the characteristics of the different ethnic groups would change.
My explanation: incorrect option. This doesn't align with our logic.

(D) The smaller ethnic groups would remain, and they would retain their ethnic heritage.
My explanation: incorrect option. This is totally opposite of what author concluded. hence incorrect option.

(E) The minority cultures would eventually overwhelm the dominant culture, which would then lose its identity.
My explanation: incorrect option. similar logic to as that of option B.
--
please give kudos even if you disagree. Typing out such a detailed explanation deserves many kudos :-)

Originally posted by Cinematiccuisine on 22 Oct 2018, 13:05.
Last edited by Cinematiccuisine on 22 Oct 2018, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
workout, kksen18 , ultraaristo18 ,
if you have read my explanations of Q1 to Q4, then below questions will be easier to understand/interpret.

Q5: According to a hard-line multiculturalist, which one of the following groups is most likely to know the “truth” about political reality?

Meaning: we so far understood that minority Or Ethnic people faced racial discrimination. Author also talks about cultural differences between these small ethnic groups and how larger groups can be adapted/modified. So accordingly, we can now easily go through each option and understand the relevance.

(A) Educated people who have learned how to see reality from many different perspectives.
My explanation: Incorrect: The para is not talking about how education impacts thinking of majority of people about race or discrimination.

(B) A minority group that has suffered oppression at the hands of the majority.
My explanation: correct: This is more relevant option.

(C) High government officials who have privileged access to secret information.
My explanation: Incorrect: The para is not talking about how certain people get benefits while others do not. Para talks about how Larger grp ppl treat smaller grp ppl.

(D) Minorities who through their education have risen above the socioeconomic position occupied by most members of their ethnic group.
My explanation: Incorrect: The para is not talking about how education impacts thinking of minority people.

(E) Political scientists who have thoroughly studied the problem.
My explanation: Incorrect: The para is talking that differences are absolute, irreducible, intractable. ideas are simply the expression of individual identity. So having some political scientists thoroughly studying and concluding will not align with overall flow of the para. hence this option is incorrect.

=======================
A6: Which one of the following ideas would a multiculturalist NOT believe?
(A) That we should recognize and celebrate the differences among the many cultures in the United States.
My explanation: Incorrect: This is gist being discussed through-out and believed by multiculturalist.

(B) That we can never know the “truth” because “truth” is always shaped by one’s culture.
My explanation: Incorrect: This is given in para 4 & 5.

(C) That “difference” is more important than “sameness.”
My explanation: Incorrect: This is given in para 3 (For these multiculturalists, differences are absolute, irreducible, intractable...) hence multiculturalist would believe in this.

(D) That a school curriculum should be constructed to compensate for institutionalized racism.
My explanation: Incorrect: This is given in para 2 (Phillip Green's proposition) hence multiculturalist would believe in this.

(E) That different cultures should work to assimilate themselves into the mainstream culture so that eventually there will be no excuse for racism.
My explanation: Correct: This is how the para started, multiculturalist does not believe in this.

--
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
Really difficult para, but this is how I approached it. workout, kksen18 , ultraaristo18 ,

Summary:
Para 1: Multiculture --> premise: Small grps can change culture of large groups. E.g. of Students
Para 2: need of therapeutic curriculum that explains/interpret "indirect" form of racism
Para 3: Stringent Attitude of a ppl who support multiculturalism is explained -- author seems to be very critical
Para 4: this para is very difficult to interpret. All I understood that the author is explaining about some reversal; going away from traditional beliefs.
Para 5: At a high level, multiculturalists have a view that is not generally acceptable so they are jumping ahead and stating that race and gender inherently show "incorrect treatment/malfunction (oppression). Again, with the example given in last statement, author seems to be critical/questioning.
====
With this, let's take a look at each question separately:
Q3: The author speaks about the “politics of identity” that Phillip Green, a political scientist at Smith, notes is all-consuming for many of the students. Considering the subject of the passage, which one of the following best describes what the author means by “the politics of identity”?

This is a simple question to answer if you understand the implicit meaning mentioned in the para 2. Here is the para 2:
Phillip Green, a political scientist at Smith and a thoughtful proponent of multiculturalism, notes that for a significant portion of the students the politics of identity is all-consuming. Students he says “are unhappy with the thin gruel of rationalism. They require a therapeutic curriculum to overcome not straightforward racism but ignorant stereotyping.”

Interpretation:
Students are unhappy about indirect (thin) racism. Students feel that there's no direct racism or no one is directly differentiating them based on their race or ethnicity but there's a sense of indirect racism that prevails amongst students. Let's consider another example: if there's a group of 5-6 Afro students, there are good chances that these members could form their own group and express such indirect racial experiences with each other. So author here is referring to such grp of students and their activity of discussing the racism among themselves as 'politics of identity'.

Author believes that if these students are taught that this thin racism is NOT deliberately done then there are good chances that students will not feel unhappy. Author says that Phillip Green recommended having a therapeutic curriculum that 'perhaps' teaches other race ppl that racism is happening due to ignorance. At the same time, this curriculum can also teach how to avoid such 'undeliberate' ways of racism.

How did you go around interpreting it?
What you did was brilliant... is there any specific questions you asked yourself as you read that small para, or did the interpretation just flow into your mind as you read it.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
JohnM wrote:

How did you go around interpreting it?
What you did was brilliant... is there any specific questions you asked yourself as you read that small para, or did the interpretation just flow into your mind as you read it.

Thanks!

=====================

Thank you JohnM, workout. To be honest with you, even I took enormous time to read and interpret the entire para. As the para is quite difficult, I thought, I shouldn't concentrate on timings but just get the answers correct. That relieved much pressure :-)

coming to specific paragraph... here is how I read it. Sorry, but again, this is little lengthy explanation. :-)

The words marked in RED are difficult to interpret, so I skipped those. I just concentrated on words marked in Green --> here's how I read
1) Phillip Green notes that for a significant portion of the students the politics of identity is all-consuming (underlined part still not clear :-( )
2) Students are unhappy
3) They require a curriculum to overcome not straightforward racism

well, at least, #2 & #3 sentences can be connected.
i) It's clear that Students are unhappy
ii) It's acknowledged that nobody is directly differentiating students (e.g. calling them African/Black/Indian/Brown skin etc). This can happen only if students are talking among themselves and sharing their experiences. (e.g. it's similar to the way we gossip about our bad boss OR a rude colleague and determine if actions are deliberate)
iii) P.G. recommends a course to overcome indirect (not straightforward) racism

I further thought --> if there's a course, it should teach both types of ppl (who feel racially abused and who are unknowingly doing the act of racial abuse)
Now, I re-read the sentence 1 again. Initially, i couldn't understand the meaning of words --> "the politics of identity is all-consuming"... but after understanding i, ii, and iii, it's clear that students (as a group) understand & acknowledge indirect racism --> hence author is calling it as a "identity is all-consuming".

All these thoughts align with option D. All other options are either expressing extreme opinion (B, E) OR not representing the context (A, C).

I hope it's clear now. Please let me know if you need further help.

---
Please give kudos :-)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cinematiccuisine wrote:

Thank you JohnM, workout. To be honest with you, even I took enormous time to read and interpret the entire para. As the para is quite difficult, I thought, I shouldn't concentrate on timings but just get the answers correct. That relieved much pressure :-)

I follow the same approach while dealing with difficult RC's. Instead of constraining myself to around 2 mins on each question, I will take my time to answer the questions and probably guess on one of the other later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Cinematiccuisine

THANKS!

"ii) It's acknowledged that nobody is directly differentiating students (e.g. calling them African/Black/Indian/Brown skin etc). This can happen only if students are talking among themselves and sharing their experiences. (e.g. it's similar to the way we gossip about our bad boss OR a rude colleague and determine if actions are deliberate)"

The paragraph made a lot more sense once I got the underlying (rather obvious) assumption that you pointed out. Of course! They HAVE to talking among themselves (the specific groups) for the said thing to happen. That also implies the existence of the group, and so their identification with the group.

"All these thoughts align with option D. All other options are either expressing extreme opinion (B, E) OR not representing the context (A, C)."4

THIS. With the things you said, one can get enough sense of the question to mark the correct answer by reduction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi Cinematiccuisine Q5 is not explicitly stateted anywhere, is it ?

ShankSouljaBoi: yes, please refer to my explanation of the question. Let me know if you need more help.

Yes, could you please elaborate? Q5 is very tricky indeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Kudos
GittinGud wrote:
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi Cinematiccuisine Q5 is not explicitly stateted anywhere, is it ?

ShankSouljaBoi: yes, please refer to my explanation of the question. Let me know if you need more help.

Yes, could you please elaborate? Q5 is very tricky indeed.

In the third paragraph, the passage states "But multiculturalism’s hard-liners, who seem to make up the majority of the movement, damn as racism any attempt to draw the myriad of American groups into a common American culture"

This sentence was initially very difficult to understand because of the prepositional phrase "as racism" and the dependent clause. But if you take out the phrase and clause, it becomes a lot more clear:
But multiculturalism’s hard-liners...damn any attempt to draw the myriad of American groups into a common American culture

The underlined portions help further clarify the subjects that the hardliner's are speaking of. This is the primary information that we get about the hardliners.

I initially selected answer A. After going back to review the question and the answers, I realized that choice B is the better answer because choice B specifically relates to what the MC hardliners really believe. No other paragraph speaks about the hardliners or what their point of view. As much as I liked answer A, the passage just does not support it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Hey, could you please break it down further. I still don't see how B is correct. What's the link between people who were oppressed and the truth about political reality?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
GittinGud wrote:
Hey, could you please break it down further. I still don't see how B is correct. What's the link between people who were oppressed and the truth about political reality?

Sure:

The passage states in the third paragraph, "hard-liners...damn as racism any attempt to draw the myriad of American groups into a common American culture." So they are against any attempts to draw different groups into one melting pot of common culture.

Answer B states "A minority group that has suffered oppression at the hands of the majority." Which slightly echoes the structure where a small group is oppressed (or drawn) into the majority (common culture).

In any case, B would be the weird "I'm coming back to this" answer. The other questions seem incorrect, so out of pure process of elimination, we I'd choose the one I'm iffy about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM