It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2010, 20:27
trunksli wrote:
I didn't like the which clause, or the including clause, because it's not clear what they're modifying or describing. The instructions? The authenticity? I like the "by doing x, y , and z" because then naturally it sounds like these 3 things will help the merchant confirm authenticity. It just sounds better in my head, where if I try to plug the other examples in, I'm automatically going back to reread the sentence because I get lost what the 3 things belong to.

I guess when we read a SC sentence, we have to have a clear mind about the logical relationship within it.

the X,Y,and Z are examples of "a seris of....", therefore ,by is not necessary.

Well, I understand why you have that feeling of lost, maybe that's a misusage common in oral English.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 837 [0], given: 6

Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:47
E for me. It is parallel and "including" correctly refers to the preceding clause.

Kudos [?]: 837 [0], given: 6

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT

Kudos [?]: 1753 [2], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Kaja wrote:
Hi, Tom, (well maybe you won't see this post anymore.I just try)

could you clarify the usage of Ving here?

I read some rules about the usage of this on Manhattan forum, which is following:

the "comma + ing" modifier should only be used when:

(A)
it MODIFIES THE ENTIRE ACTION of the preceding clause, and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause;
AND
(B)
one of the following is true:
(1) the "ing" action is SIMULTANEOUS with the main action;
- i ran down the sidewalk, flapping my arms wildly
(2) the "ing" action is a DIRECT CONSEQUENCE of the main action;
- i got a 100 on the most recent exam, bringing my average up to 91

But the Ving here in Choice E doesn't fit in the above rules, right?

Also, presuming the choise A is using "include", will it be the best answer? Thank you very much!

Hey Kaja,

It's not modifying the previous clause, per se, but it's modifying such an ENORMOUS noun (already modified), that the -ing helps us clarify it.:

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is (a series [of printed instructions {that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity}])...

The part in parentheses is all one noun with modifiers set off by different parentheses. We want to modify that ENTIRE thing. Using just a relative pronoun wouldn't work, because it's so FAR from the word it's really modifying ("series"). And technically, the next modifier IS happening simultaneously (it's describing those very rules). I agree it's a bit of a stretch based on the rules we give, but it's far closer to the rules for -ing words than the rules for relative pronouns.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1753 [2], given: 11

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 203 [3], given: 69

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
I am just rearranging the clause to make aware about usage of clause.

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a X, that the compnay hopes will help merchant confirm a check's authenticity.

We are looking for the correctness of clause X.

C=> "a series of printed instructions by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing the watermark while
holding the check to the light."

E=> a series of printed instructions including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view. Correct.

Kudos [?]: 203 [3], given: 69

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:53
To me it still appears (C)

Reason -How check's authenticity would happen? -

by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing the watermark while
holding the check to the light." - A prepositional phrase acting as Adverb over here

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1749 [2], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
angel2009 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the
company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes
reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
the watermark while
holding the check to the light.
A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and
view
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures
and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and
viewing
D. including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing
E. including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the problem with C ?

Hii Vishu.
Answer choice C has several errors. I am listing tem here:
1) Nowhere it seems that we are supposed to check the authenticity by watching the endorsement, by comparing signatures etc. If you have a doubt, please check the original sentence. On choosing C, you will be diverting from the original meaning.
2) Precedes the prepositional phrase by a comma.
3) There is a huge difference between "for verbing" and "to verb". The former implies that the action is taking place at present whereas the latter implies the "intent or more specifically Purpose".

Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1749 [2], given: 62

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2012, 22:20
On Similar line here is one more Question -

For centuries, people on sea voyages washed their clothes by placing the dirty laundry in a strong cloth bag, then toss it overboard, and let the ship drag the bag for hours.

A.then toss it overboard, and let

B.then toss them overboard, and they let

C.tossingitoverboard, and letting

D.tossing them overboard, and let

E.tossing it overboard, and let

OA -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
..Could you share me your reasoning .?

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1749 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2012, 22:47
vishu1414 wrote:
On Similar line here is one more Question -

For centuries, people on sea voyages washed their clothes by placing the dirty laundry in a strong cloth bag, then toss it overboard, and let the ship drag the bag for hours.

A.then toss it overboard, and let

B.then toss them overboard, and they let

C.tossing it overboard, and letting

D.tossing them overboard, and let

E.tossing it overboard, and let

A and B are straightaway gone because "toss" is not parallel with any verb. Also, B has SVA issue. Similarly D and E are not parallel because of "let". D also has SVA issue.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1749 [0], given: 62

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 06:35
A lot going on for (C).

Here are my 2 cents.

company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity ,by including.

Changes the meaning.

Merchants confirm blah blah blah.... By including.. blah blah blah.

Instructions include blah blah and not the merchants.

Utterly wrong it is

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 322

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 23:44
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I was confused between A and E.

Can you tell whats the differences between check’s authenticity, which includes and check’s authenticity, including... :?:

I eliminated A because if we look on check’s authenticity, which includes and ask question WHAT IS INCLUDING
I hope we are talking about a series of printed instructions--> So, its PLURAL S-V disagreement.

Additionally, if the option would be--

A. which INCLUDES reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view (Is that would be correct)

Please assist..
Waiting for your response

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6426 [3], given: 122

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I was confused between A and E.

Can you tell whats the differences between check’s authenticity, which includes and check’s authenticity, including... :?:

I eliminated A because if we look on check’s authenticity, which includes and ask question WHAT IS INCLUDING
I hope we are talking about a series of printed instructions--> So, its PLURAL S-V disagreement.

Additionally, if the option would be--

A. which INCLUDES reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view (Is that would be correct)

Please assist..
Waiting for your response

hi,
you are correct about..
Quote:

yes 'include' is talking/modifying a series of printed instructions, but can this be done by 'which'.. NO
which can modify the nearest or a slight away noun ..
verb+ing is the correct usage if you ar etalking of the entire clause in general..
and hence 'including'..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Kudos [?]: 6426 [3], given: 122

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 20:26
WHY A IS WRONG?
because which can not modify a far noun while preposition including cando so?

this is the main point of this problem?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 93

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 04:28
to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
E..it is..

angel2009 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

view
and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and
viewing
D. including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 93

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18472 [0], given: 237

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 10:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
angel2009 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

view
and view
viewing

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Responding to a pm: Between (A) and (E), I would still go with (E) because the relative pronoun "which" seems to be modifying "authenticity". It is very far from "series" - the noun it is actually modifying.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18472 [0], given: 237

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 188

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 09:54
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

Hi experts, can you please explain what is "including" in choices D & E modifying? If it is modifying the "series of printed instructions" then how can it jump over the "that" clause preceding it?

Thank you for your help!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9278 [1], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Conquergmat5 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
B. which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
C. by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

Hi experts, can you please explain what is "including" in choices D & E modifying? If it is modifying the "series of printed instructions" then how can it jump over the "that" clause preceding it?

Dear Conquergmat5,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you appear relatively new to GMAT Club. Please do NOT start a brand new thread for any question that has already been posted. I guarantee you that every official question is already somewhere here on GMAT Club. Please always search extensively: if your question is not already answered in the discussion on that thread, add it to the thread, and all the experts who have already responded on the thread will see it. I have merged your post into in a much larger thread about this very same question.

The participle "including" in (D) & (E) modifies the noun "printed instructions." This noun is followed by a vital noun modifier, the long "that" clause that goes up to the comma, and the participle "including" immediately follows the "that" clause. As you may appreciate, a vital noun modifier can come between a target noun and another modifier, creating for that second modifier a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule. See:
GMAT Grammar: Vital Noun Modifiers

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9278 [1], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 10:49
mikemcgarry wrote:
Conquergmat5 wrote:

Dear Conquergmat5,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you appear relatively new to GMAT Club. Please do NOT start a brand new thread for any question that has already been posted. I guarantee you that every official question is already somewhere here on GMAT Club. Please always search extensively: if your question is not already answered in the discussion on that thread, add it to the thread, and all the experts who have already responded on the thread will see it. I have merged your post into in a much larger thread about this very same question.

The participle "including" in (D) & (E) modifies the noun "printed instructions." This noun is followed by a vital noun modifier, the long "that" clause that goes up to the comma, and the participle "including" immediately follows the "that" clause. As you may appreciate, a vital noun modifier can come between a target noun and another modifier, creating for that second modifier a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule. See:
GMAT Grammar: Vital Noun Modifiers

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you Mike!! This is clear to me now.

Also, apologize for starting a new post, I will remember to search for existing questions before posting next time.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 12:12
aviator83 wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:
aviator83 wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the
company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes
reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
the watermark while
holding the check to the light.
view
-"which" incorrectly refers to "printed instructions"
and view
-"which" incorrectly refers to "printed instructions"
viewing
-"by including" is not required here.
- to watch the endorsement,[to] comparing signatures and [to] viewing - incorrect right ?
-correct

Are you sure that the "which" in A and B refer to "printed instructions"?
I think it refers to authencity. Isn't this true?

You are correct. :wink:
"which" incorrectly refers to "authenticity". what i meant was that it should refer to "printed instructions" instead.

It should refer to " a series of printed instructions". It's worth noting that "series" is a collective noun.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 122

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 282

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 12:17
need an -ing modifier after comma and parallelism should also need to be maintained and that happens to be the case in option E only

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 282

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 01:52
A. which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view --> which refers to authenticity; if you don't know whether this is correct you have to zoom out, cool down and understand what the sentence tries to transfer

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2017, 01:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 50 posts ] 

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap