It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

CAT Tests
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 22:07
I had an error with checking for parallelism on this one! I was checking parallelism for "including reminders, comparing signatures and viewing the watermark". So I picked C to be my answer. I lost track of Meaning clarity while doing so.

The actual parallelism lies at "to watch, compare and view". If I had though of meaning clarity, I would have definitely picked E.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
Re: The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:11
quantum wrote:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

(A) which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view
(B) which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view
(C) by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing
(D) including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing
(E) including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

Dear Experts,
How 'ing' modifier here is in agreement with the subject of the sentence , please explain.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
anje29 wrote:
Dear Experts,
How 'ing' modifier here is in agreement with the subject of the sentence , please explain.

Hi anje29 ,

"Including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view" is giving extra information about the printed instructions.

Note that it is acting as a modifier, which is giving more information about the clause before the comma.

Does that make sense?

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 01:32
abhimahna wrote:
anje29 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Hi anje29 ,

"Including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view" is giving extra information about the printed instructions.

Note that it is acting as a modifier, which is giving more information about the clause before the comma.

Does that make sense?

Hi,
But only noun modifiers can provide extra information , what do you think here ? And since it logically fits to modify printed instructions and therefore correct.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
anje29 wrote:
Hi,
But only noun modifiers can provide extra information , what do you think here ? And since it logically fits to modify printed instructions and therefore correct.

Hi anje29 ,

We can use gerunds also to provide extra information.

Here we have two gerunds "including and holding". Hence, These modifiers have been correctly used.

Let me know in case of more queries. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 21:29
In one of his videos, Ron Purewal says that "including" doesn't work like any other verb-ing, and that "including" modifies the noun before the comma.
Can someone clarify this?
see around the 57-minute mark.

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (CR 41, RC 22, SC 27).
GMAT PREP: 740, 750, 760, 740, 740.

GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017). TARGET 760!! GOT 760!!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 09:58
DIII wrote:
In one of his videos, Ron Purewal says that "including" doesn't work like any other verb-ing, and that "including" modifies the noun before the comma.
Can someone clarify this?

Dear DIII,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The great Mr. Ron Purewal is certainly a genius, but I am going to disagree slightly. :-)

First of all, modifying the previous noun is not categorically unlike any other present participle. Participles are very flexible, sometimes acting as noun modifier and sometimes, as verb modifiers. Certainly there are instances in which we find [noun] [comma] [present participle} when the participle is acting as a modifier for the noun.
When I walked in, I saw the detective, leaning against a pillar and smoking a cigarette.
Of course, that's less a GMAT SC sentence and more one from a tawdry thriller novel, but the grammar is the same.

Also, I would say that, for the majority of the time, the participle "including" acts as a noun modifier and modifies the noun it touches. Occasionally, a vital noun modifier would come between the participle and the target noun, and it is possible that this vital noun modifier is a long clause. That's precisely what is happening in the OA of this question.
(E) The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.
Notice that the purple part, from "that" to "authenticity," is a giant adjectival clause, a noun-modifying clause, all modifying the phrase "printed instructions." That phrase is the target of the participle "including."

Usually, when the word "including" is going to be used as a verb modifier, it's in the gerund form following the preposition "by."
Maxwell described the first unified field, electromagnetism, by including Faraday's Law and expanding Ampere's Law.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 10:12
Thank you, makes sense now.
Do you think "which" can also modify in a similar way (by skipping over a vital modifier)?
I sometimes get confused about the exceptions in the usage of "which".

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (CR 41, RC 22, SC 27).
GMAT PREP: 740, 750, 760, 740, 740.

GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017). TARGET 760!! GOT 760!!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 13:21
DIII wrote:
Do you think "which" can also modify in a similar way (by skipping over a vital modifier)?

Dear DIII,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes. In fact, any noun modifier can skip over a vital modifier for the same noun. See:
Modifiers on the GMAT Sentence Correction

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 341

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 13:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
DIII wrote:

Hello DIII,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes. all the noun modifiers can be used the way including has been used in the correct answer choice of the relevant official sentence. At e-GMAT, we call such modification a slightly far-away noun modification by a noun modifier.

In fact, we have authored a very famous article on the topic that includes details, examples, a exceptions to the usage of such modification. You can review this article named Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Also, here is my two cents on the usage of including on GMAT SC.

It is true that comma + verb-ing modifiers modify the preceding action. But including is an exception to this rule. Preceded by a comma or not and placed after a clause or not, including works as a noun modifier only.

There are several GMAT SC that uses including as a noun modifier only.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 341

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2017, 13:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap